Jimmy Page in Singapore in 1967 with Yardbirds

Joseph C Pereira

post-15629-037260300 1283909248_thumb.jpJImmy Page was a member of the Yardbirds when they played Singapore in January 1967. The line up was Keith Relf (vocals, harmonica), Jimmy Page (guitar), Chris Dreja (bass) and Jim McCarty. The show was held at National Theatre, with Antartics and Quests supporting. By all accounts the show was a success. The band and Jimmy was in fine form and quitea few musicians who were in the audience picked up pointers on the direction music was going.

Besides the show they paid a courtesy visit to EMI's studio at McDonald House in Orchard. EMI presented them a couple of EPs and Singles by their Singapore artistes such as Quests and Antartics. The Yardbirds also visited the recording studio where they watched Antartics recording their new single. Page gave some pointers to the Antartics lead guitar player, Joe Mann.

post-15629-049045700 1283922843_thumb.jp

post-15629-002547100 1283922872_thumb.jp

post-15629-031794000 1283926744_thumb.jp

• 2 weeks later...

post-15629-037260300 1283909248_thumb.jpJImmy Page was a member of the Yardbirds when they played Singapore in January 1967. The line up was Keith Relf (vocals, harmonica), Jimmy Page (guitar), Chris Dreja (bass) and Jim McCarty. The show was held at National Theatre, with Antartics and Quests supporting. By all accounts the show was a success. The band and Jimmy was in fine form and quitea few musicians who were in the audience picked up pointers on the direction music was going.

Besides the show they paid a courtesy visit to EMI's studio at McDonald House in Orchard. EMI presented them a couple of EPs and Singles by their Singapore artistes such as Quests and Antartics. The Yardbirds also visited the recording studio where they watched Antartics recording their new single. Page gave some pointers to the Antartics lead guitar player, Joe Mann.

Thank you very much for excellent info and photos! :)

Posted on Behalf of Joseph C. Pereira, as requested, edited for dimensions...

Yardbirds Live at National Theatre Singapore - Thursday 19 January 1967

Page1967dim.jpg

Those are great shots! It would be terrific if limited edition prints from the original b&w or color negatives could be offered.

Those are great shots! It would be terrific if limited edition prints from the original b&w or color negatives could be offered.

yes, I love all of the photos from Singapore...Joseph is very well informed of Press in Singapore, I am sure he can lead to further details.......

'PlanetPage'

yes, I love all of the photos from Singapore...Joseph is very well informed of Press in Singapore, I am sure he can lead to further details.......

I came across these while researching Singapore Sixties at the National Archives. They are reprints from a pop magazine called Radio Weekly which no longer exists. They never credited the photographers who took the pictures. The challenge would be to find the photographer and also to determine if they are still alive or have passed on. This was 43 years ago.

• 3 weeks later...

Yarbirds3.jpg

Source: SINGAPORE PRESS HOLDINGS (SPH)

Unedited Description Supplied by Transferring Agency: TWO POP GROUPS, THE YARDBIRDS AND THE WALKER BROTHERS, ARE IN TOWN FOR A JOINT PERFORMANCE AT NATIONAL THEATRE. (DESCRIPTION OF EVENT PROVIDED BY TRANSFERRING AGENCY)

Description Edited By NAS: Vernon Cornelius of the Quests performing onstage at pop concert presented by Donald Moore Concerts Limited held at National Theatre. The concert also featured foreign pop groups the Yardbirds and the Walker Brothers.

Date: 17/01/1967

Medium: PCD

Media Number - Image Number: PCD0365 - 0020

Negative Number: 2003,0284/1

Access: REPRODUCTION REQUIRES WRITTEN PERMISSION FROM DEPOSITING AGENCY/DONOR

Yarbirds1.jpg

Unedited Description Supplied by Transferring Agency: TWO POP GROUPS, THE YARDBIRDS AND THE WALKER BROTHERS, ARE IN TOWN FOR A JOINT PERFORMANCE AT NATIONAL THEATRE. (DESCRIPTION OF EVENT PROVIDED BY TRANSFERRING AGENCY)

Description Edited By NAS:

Media Number - Image Number: PCD0365 - 0018

Negative Number: T2003,21498

Yardbirds6.jpg

Unedited Description Supplied by Transferring Agency: PRESS CONFERENCE WITH THE YARDBIRDS, A POP-GROUP, AT DONALD MOORE CONCERTS LIMITED'S OFFICE. THE GROUP OF FOUR MEMBERS ARE FROM BRITAIN. FROM LEFT, KEITH RELF AND JIMMY PAGE. THEY ARE IN SINGAPORE FOR A JOINT CONCERT WITH THE WALKER BROTHERS, ANOTHER POP GROUP, AT THE NATIONAL THEATRE (DESCRIPTION OF EVENT PROVIDED BY TRANSFERRING AGENCY)

Media Number - Image Number: PCD0365 - 0091

Negative Number: T2003,21508

Yarbirds4.jpg

Unedited Description Supplied by Transferring Agency: PRESS CONFERENCE WITH THE YARDBIRDS, A POP-GROUP, AT DONALD MOORE CONCERTS LIMITED'S OFFICE. THE GROUP OF FOUR MEMBERS ARE FROM BRITAIN. FROM LEFT, KEITH RELF, JIMMY PAGE, JIM MCCARTHY AND CRIS DREJA. THEY ARE IN SINGAPORE FOR A JOINT CONCERT WITH THE WALKER BROTHERS, ANOTHER POP GROUP, AT THE NATIONAL THEATRE (DESCRIPTION OF EVENT PROVIDED BY TRANSFERRING AGENCY)

Media Number - Image Number: PCD0365 - 0092

Negative Number: T2003,21509

Yardbirds7.jpg

Unedited Description Supplied by Transferring Agency: PRESS CONFERENCE WITH THE WALKER BROTHERS, A POP-GROUP, AT DONALD MOORE CONCERTS LIMITED'S OFFICE. THE GROUP, FROM AMERICA, WENT TO LONDON A YEAR AGO WITH BEATLES' HAIRSTYLE AND MADE IT GOOD. FROM LEFT, CARY, JOHN AND SCOTT. THEY ARE IN SINGAPORE FOR A JOINT CONCERT WITH THE YARDBIRDS, ANOTHER POP GROUP, AT THE NATIONAL THEATRE (DESCRIPTION OF EVENT PROVIDED BY TRANSFERRING AGENCY)

Media Number - Image Number: PCD0365 - 0089

Negative Number: T2003,21510

....additional anecdote from Joseph C. Pereira ......with Thanks:

No Yardbirds did not play on Nancy Pancy.

What happened was that Yardbirds were in the EMI recording studios at

MacDonald House. Antartics which was Vinton's band was recording

their next single and the B side was Nancy Pancy. Page showed the

guitar player Joe Mann, how to work the fuzz box and use it for lead.

Prior to this most guitar solos in Singapore were rudimentary

readings of the vocal line. I think Page must have told Joe to let

the fuzz box breathe and take a life of its own. If you go to You

Tube and try to call for this song if available you can hear what I

mean. The end result was astounding because mind you it was January

1967 and here was a Singapore band creating a sound that I termed

proto-rock. At least in the Singapore context.

influence is distinctively Page - link to recorded version of Nance Pancy - The Antartics - S.A. Vinton - Passed Away October 1, 2010 RIP (Served in Vietnam, as did Joseph)

http://mocamborainbow.blogspot.com/2008/09/keeper-of-classics.html

...on your right, first set of recordings....Nancy Pancy is Track #9

...edited for clarity

Great contributions to the forum!

:thanku:

Joseph C. Pereira

.....No need to thank you, love to contribute as always....these photos I might add, but as you may know, are from the Singapore National Library Archives, and as for the previous photos that Joseph posted, he reasons that the photographer has to be Chinese, perhaps in his circle of local musicians he will be able to locate further info...

Again, thanks to Joseph, a true Singapore Historian for taking the time out of his busy schedule of 60's Singapore Classics Music CD that he is producing, lectures on History of Music in Singapore, and publishing, possibly a second book as he indicates...

...and long live Page, what an influential Musician!!!

• 2 months later...

Received From Joseph C. Pereira December 17, 2010......

" I am attaching a picture of Page being

interviewed with the other Yardbirds at the EMI studios back in 1967

in Singapore."

PAGEEMIStudio.jpg

Thank you Joseph, as always, much appreciated!!!

P.S. I have asked Joseph to keep us posted on any other details of this photo and previous photos....

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Yardbirds7.jpg

Unedited Description Supplied by Transferring Agency: PRESS CONFERENCE WITH THE WALKER BROTHERS, A POP-GROUP, AT DONALD MOORE CONCERTS LIMITED'S OFFICE. THE GROUP, FROM AMERICA, WENT TO LONDON A YEAR AGO WITH BEATLES' HAIRSTYLE AND MADE IT GOOD. FROM LEFT, CARY, JOHN AND SCOTT. THEY ARE IN SINGAPORE FOR A JOINT CONCERT WITH THE YARDBIRDS, ANOTHER POP GROUP, AT THE NATIONAL THEATRE (DESCRIPTION OF EVENT PROVIDED BY TRANSFERRING AGENCY)

Media Number - Image Number: PCD0365 - 0089

Negative Number: T2003,21510

Thank you for sharing these! I was just in Singapore so this is a blast for me to see these photos.

Is it me or does the guy on the right, in the above photo, look like Roger Daltrey. I know it isn't him but he sure is his doppelganger.

Archived