What kind of distortion/overdrive pedal does everyone use?

AchillesFault

what is the best pedal or a classic Jimmy Page '73 tone?

Well, before anyone dives in with "that's pure amp tone, you need a Marshall, not a pedal" ;) what you should probably look at would be something like the Zfex Box Of Rock - a pedal designed specifically to get Marshall type tones out of any amp (If you wanted to you could put an Xotic EP booster in front of that to simulate the extra gain that Page got from his Echoplex, but that's getting quite serious about it).

Having said that, the rest of your gear (ie - your guitar & amp) will have an impact on the quality of the results that you can get. Still, as long as you're going for Page - type tone rather than exact clone, you should do OK. :)

Of course, my personal view is that whatever gear you're using, you'll get closer to that sound if you study how JP uses the controls on the guitar, which pickups he uses (& when) and adjust the amp's tone controls acordingly.

:)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi again everyone!

I wanted to ask what kind of distortion/overdrive pedal does everyone use? I love my yellow MXR Distortion+ and my MXR Classic Overdrive that I recently bought from Guitar center.

I got the mxr disturtion + and still think this is the best on!

Hi again everyone!

I wanted to ask what kind of distortion/overdrive pedal does everyone use? I love my yellow MXR Distortion+ and my MXR Classic Overdrive that I recently bought from Guitar center.

I had the yellow MXR rectangular distortion box. Im afraid to ask what Guitar Center charged you for one? The House of Guitars charged about $60 for one but that was years ago. I knew this guy that played Hendrix note for note, everything he ever did, and he was pretty well known in my area. He had the old orange round distortion pedals Hendrix used to use. The guy loved Hendrix and pretty much worshipped him I remember him playing the star spangled banner with his fucking teeth. So there was nothing he couldnt play by Hendrix. He was prettty impressed with my playing IN My Time of Dying on slide, but I have not played it in a long time and I know there is debate over the actual tuning. Why I sold my 1981 Gibson Les Paul still haunts me. I wanted a different style and did not forsee the cost increase being so much. Three years ago the guy at the house said I could wak out with a new standard for about %1700. Now its at least $2000 for a new one. So the Taylor was a great deal anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Here are some of my distortion pedals.

Hartman Vintage Germanium Fuzz Pedal

Hartman BC108 Silicon Fuzz Pedal

Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive Overdrive Boost Pedal

Voodoo Lab Superfuzz Fuzz Pedal

Bixonic Expandora (Used by Billy Gibbons)

My current favories are:

Rockbox Boiling Point Overdrive

Rockbox Red Dog Overdrive

The rockbox are handmade and not mass produced.

Also the M13 Stompbox Modeler by Line 6 which gives me the Page Tone Bender, Beck Rat distorion and a whole lotta others as well.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Archived