the first show in denver

percy07

hi everyone is the first show lz ever did in denver out there somewhere?

No.

Earliest known recorded show is Gonzaga 12/30/68. Denver was played as the opener on the U.S. tour four days prior. Earliest recorded Denver show is from 3-25-70.

• 2 weeks later...
No.

Earliest known recorded show is Gonzaga 12/30/68. Denver was played as the opener on the U.S. tour four days prior. Earliest recorded Denver show is from 3-25-70.

I was at the Denver show - they opened for Vanilla Fudge and a second act that I can't recall. You didn't miss out on much - a fast set (20 mintues) through a terrible sound system for an audience unfamiliar with them. Page had a Telecaster and they played through Rickenbacker amps.

hi everyone is the first show lz ever did in denver out there somewhere?

It's out there. i heard it back in 1981 on cassette.Could barely hear it. An absolutely horribile recording. The only way to verify it was the barely audible DJ intro

It's out there. i heard it back in 1981 on cassette.Could barely hear it. An absolutely horribile recording. The only way to verify it was the barely audible DJ intro

If this is true, it would be an incredible find. Any chance you can find it again? Possible, too, that what you heard wasn't actually the Denver '68 date.

Wasnt the first devner show arranged at the last minute? I'd guess that would reduce the likeyhood of a yardbirds fan being there to specifically record it.

The Denver '68 page in the timeline has an interview with one of the promoters who says Zep was booked 10 days before the show. They seem to be unbilled for all the 1968 US dates so it was unlikely to attract any Yardbirds fans unless they were coming to see Vanilla Fudge.

http://www.ledzeppelin.com/show/december-26-1968

If this is true, it would be an incredible find. Any chance you can find it again? Possible, too, that what you heard wasn't actually the Denver '68 date.

Well the set list,what I could hear of it was correct. And as I said, the show was announced as Denver. I tried to get the guy to part with it to no avail. It may not be available in a boot form per say but as a personal tape. I didn't know the guy personally. However, he may be a member of this forum. If your out there...... join in

Well the set list,what I could hear of it was correct. And as I said, the show was announced as Denver. I tried to get the guy to part with it to no avail. It may not be available in a boot form per say but as a personal tape. I didn't know the guy personally. However, he may be a member of this forum. If your out there...... join in

Well according to Dave Lewis' book, The Concert File, there is no known setlist from that show. In fact, the early '69 setlist varied so wildly from night to night (in terms of order) that it would be hard to discern.

That said, this tape hasn't surfaced among collectors. So it's either possible that it was Denver '70 which you heard or a show mislabled as Denver '68.

Well according to Dave Lewis' book, The Concert File, there is no known setlist from that show. In fact, the early '69 setlist varied so wildly from night to night (in terms of order) that it would be hard to discern.

That said, this tape hasn't surfaced among collectors. So it's either possible that it was Denver '70 which you heard or a show mislabled as Denver '68.

I wish he'd parted with it.

It shouldn't come as a total surprise that there are personal recordings of any of the shows. There are tons of them. Some people still have them. Although alot of them probably don't remember what they've done with them. And not just Zeppelin. Small cassette decks were as common as....well you know!!! ...at most of the concerts I attended in that era. In this area, it wasn't untill Pb Mar.70 Vancouver came out that an issue was made of bringing in recording devices. I didn't see the band in Dec 68 but had friends that did. Same with May 69 . The recordings were horrible.... but they were real

It shouldn't come as a total surprise that there are personal recordings of any of the shows. There are tons of them. Some people still have them. Although alot of them probably don't remember what they've done with them. And not just Zeppelin. Small cassette decks were as common as....well you know!!! ...at most of the concerts I attended in that era. In this area, it wasn't untill Pb Mar.70 Vancouver came out that an issue was made of bringing in recording devices. I didn't see the band in Dec 68 but had friends that did. Same with May 69 . The recordings were horrible.... but they were real

Why would an issue of bringing in recording devices come up after Vancouver? It was an FM broadcast.

Why would an issue of bringing in recording devices come up after Vancouver? It was an FM broadcast.

I'm guessing that it had something to do with the amount of sales Pb generated. In Vancouver it was selling for $4.00 . To put that in perspective, I bought the NEW Zeppelin III the same week for about half that price. Also Pb was treated as if it were an official release in these parts. Being played on the radio etc. I know for a fact that this album was all over Seattle and god know's where else in the fall of 1970. No doubt a few people , other than the band themselves , made some good coin.

You are right about it being a Simulcast but as I understand it, and correct me if I'm wrong. The radio station was AM. IF memory serves me right I believe it was CKVN..... long since defunct

I think it may be the Gonzaga show mislabeled. I remember one of my first bootlegs was a 4 lp set called Alpha and Omega- The first lp was labeled as Denver 68- and it was an absolutely awful recording- and the other 3 lps were from the last Oakland 77 show.

I'm not saying Denver 68 doesnt exist in someones personal collection, but I know the show has been mislabeled through the years on various boots as it would certainly be an exciting find.

I think it may be the Gonzaga show mislabeled. I remember one of my first bootlegs was a 4 lp set called Alpha and Omega- The first lp was labeled as Denver 68- and it was an absolutely awful recording- and the other 3 lps were from the last Oakland 77 show.

I'm not saying Denver 68 doesnt exist in someones personal collection, but I know the show has been mislabeled through the years on various boots as it would certainly be an exciting find.

Well, if I'm wrong ..... I stand corrected. Apologies to all. :unsure:

Archived