The Band thread

SickTangerine

Hey all

Any fans of the Band here? I've become recently obsessed with them, the only other band I've liked so much is Led Zeppelin. To be honest, I might even like The Band more than LZ atm :unsure:

Before I prattle on, sorry if there is already a thread for the Band, you wouldn't believe how hard it is to search up "The Band" on a forum like this :P

Anywho. I had heard of them before. Never listened to their music though. Then sometime in May or June this year my Dad asked me to make him a mix CD. One of the songs on it were "The Weight". So when I went to go get it, I took a listen and I was blown away. It was great! Then came Cripple Creek, and now I can't get enough of them!

Their sound just blows me away, it's so laidback! My favourite song has to be The Weight, they're probably most well known song, but doesn't change the fact it's bloody fantastic. King Harvest is a close tie though. They are all very talented!

Anyone else here like The Band? Let's have a discussion.

-ST

I love The Band. Of course, The Weight is often the first song people hear by the Band, but there are definitely so much more to them than that one song. Their first two albums is awesome and another album that I highly recomend is the double album they released together with Bob Dylan, "Basement Tapes". About half of the songs are sung by members of The Band while they are backing Bob on the rest.

Here are a couple of my fav songs (could not find any from Basement Tapes on youtube):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CxOXEN2Vl0I&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhgypQUm_qc&

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zubzjaL5y9A&

I have an older brother who's responsible for turning me onto so much great music over the years, The Band is one of them. Stage Fright got a lot of airplay around his house and was instrumental in expanding my knowledge of them outside of their more well known radio hits. Not that there's anything the matter with those as they sound just as fresh today as when they were first released. That's the beauty of The Band to me, their music is timeless.

Over this past weekend I attended something called Sounds of the South with Megafaun & Fight the Big Bull featuring Justin Vernon of Bon Iver & Sharon Van Etten where the artists drew from Souths of the South, a collection of field recordings compiled by Alan Lomax. The encore for all three nights was The Band's "The Night They Drove Old Dixie Down". It fit in perfectly.

I really love Richard Manuel. Great singer.

If you haven't had a chance to hear this yet be sure to check it out when you have a few minutes. It's a very fitting tribute to Rick Danko and Richard Manuel penned by Jason Isbell, formerly of Drive-By Truckers. He now has his own band called The 400 Unit.

Let the night air cool you off.

Tilt your head back and try to cough.

Don't say nothing 'bout the things you never saw.

Let the night air cool you off.

I ain't living like I should.

A little rest might do me good.

Got to sinking in the place where I once stood.

Now I ain't living like I should.

Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold.

Maybe I can only hear it in my head.

Fifteen years ago we owned that road

now it's rolling over us instead.

Richard Manuel is dead.

God forbid you call their bluff.

Like the nightmares ain't enough.

Remember when we used to think that we were tough?

God forbid you call their bluff.

First they make you out to be

the only pirate on the sea.

Then they say Danko would have sounded just like me.

"Is that the man you want to be?"

Can you hear that song? It sounds like gold.

Maybe I could make it bigger overseas.

Fifteen years ago we owned this road

now it only gives us somewhere else to leave.

Something else you can't believe.

Can you hear that singing? Sounds like gold.

Maybe I can hear poor Richard from the grave

singin' where to reap and when to sow

when you've found another home you have to leave.

Something else you can't believe.

Jason Isbell © House Of Fame Music (BMI)

Mellophones and Fender Rhodes - Jason Isbel

"Got to sinking in the place where I once stood."

Jason Isbell When I started writing this one, I wanted to capture some of Levon Helm's feelings about the deaths (and lives) of Richard Manuel and Rick Danko. The longer I worked on the song, the more impossible that became. I felt like the best I could do was to explain my own attitude toward being a working and traveling musician.

The horn parts came to me in a dream.

That's a pretty good song, a ncie tribute. I heard the song name before, just never listened to it.

Been listening to Rock of Ages a lot lately, all the songs are in top form, except for the songs Dylan sings on (on the 2 CD ones with bonus tracks). His singing makes me cringe to be honest in the songs. :P But the horn sections add a really nice flavour to their songs.

The Band. I like them but I am not crazy about them. Always felt as good as they were at that time many bands were more impressive. Of course my age means I had to to look back through time without actually being there, which tends to provide more info than necessary to be objective. Their best stuff amazes their worst is less than average for the era. Though they never strived for more, from their name on it implies anything can happen. Their history, which is second to none with regard to authenticity, is enough to awe a person. Myself included.

Agian, check out Basement Tapes which was recorded around the time Music From The Big Pink were recorded.. It's right up there as the two first Band albums, IMHO.

d10644r89n5.jpg

The official release of The Basement Tapes — which were first heard on a 1968 bootleg called The Great White Wonder — plays with history somewhat, as Robbie Robertson overemphasizes the Band's status in the sessions, making them out to be equally active to Dylan, adding in demos not cut at the sessions and overdubbing their recordings to flesh them out. As many bootlegs (most notably the complete five-disc series) reveal, this isn't entirely true and that the Band were nowhere near as active as Dylan, but that ultimately is a bit like nitpicking, since the music here (including the Band's) is astonishingly good. The party line on The Basement Tapes is that it is Americana, as Dylan and the Band pick up the weirdness inherent in old folk, country, and blues tunes, but it transcends mere historical arcana by being lively, humorous, full-bodied performances. Dylan never sounded as loose, nor was he ever as funny as he is here, and this positively revels in its weird, wild character. For all the apparent antecedents — and the allusions are sly and obvious in equal measures — this is truly Dylan's show, as he majestically evokes old myths and creates new ones, resulting in a crazy quilt of blues, humor, folk, tall tales, inside jokes, and rock. The Band pretty much pick up where Dylan left off, even singing a couple of his tunes, but they play it a little straight, on both their rockers and ballads. Not a bad thing at all, since this actually winds up providing context for the wild, mercurial brilliance of Dylan's work — and, taken together, the results (especially in this judiciously compiled form; expert song selection, even if there's a bit too much Band) rank among the greatest American music ever made.

Personally, I somewhat disagree with the allmusic.com review above, after all, Dylan is backed by The Band on all songs and their presence and influence is very obvious in the songs.

I have read about The Basement tapes, I'm probably gonna acquire it soon. Sounds really great. I like how they all switch instruments, Manuels drumming style is pretty cool imo.

Oh my, at 2:00 or so and for about 20 seconds. The groove!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezB4jDcLFsE

Edited by SickTangerine

• 1 month later...

1684601.jpg

1. Forbidden Fruit - Danny Brooks & the Rockin' Revelators

2. Out of the Blue - Mary Margaret O'Hara

3. Acadian Driftwood - Peter Katz

4. This Wheels On Fire - Neil Young/The Sadies

5. Ain't Got No Home - Suzie McNeil

6. Clothes Line Saga - Cowboy Junkies

7. You Ain't Goin Nowhere - Kevin Hearn & Thin Buckle

8. Sleeping - Blue Rodeo/Bruce Cockburn