Fate Of Nations

Misfit

Not boring or not comments without a definite amount of merit. It just seems to me after FON Robert's following became very polarized.

Even on other forums Zep fans either stayed aboard regardless, or rather quickly became disinterested. Jones made a comment which I

think is right on ; ( not direct quote)"I still like to create and perform loud music, Robert doesn't" . No one says Robert should play rock

cliche's, but most of his last 10-15 yr output he has walked far away from his previous music. Of course an artist should grow and take

chances, but you can't blame fans for not wanting to hear SOME rock'n'roll. IMO Manic Nirvana had much rock energy, but had few if

any cliche's.

I think it's great, one of his best! Great songs, great arrangements! I will write more about it latter! I just have to!

As far as some saying, he has mediocre parts and mediocre musicans on some projects and that it might also be a product of his control,

it's almost like you are saying, that speedy virtuosity and operatic vocals are everything! It can most certainly be a sign of probable success,

if it's musical enough and incorporated into great songs, which again is rather hard to say, why a certain song is great, it's always

related to personal taste at the end and the only completely objective thing you have, is the amount of success, certain song had

and it's great us fans, can appreciate albums like Fate of nations, because it had little success! Robert probably knew,

people expected different things in early nineties(Guns n roses, Nirvana type stuff), but he followed his heart!

What I'm saying is, that Robert knows very well, there are many ways to approach arrangements, even in Zeppelin they did that

and if someone thinks, some song of his is mediocre, just because it doesn't have a fast solo, then I'm sorry to hear that!

Not boring or not comments without a definite amount of merit. It just seems to me after FON Robert's following became very polarized.

Even on other forums Zep fans either stayed aboard regardless, or rather quickly became disinterested. Jones made a comment which I

think is right on ; ( not direct quote)"I still like to create and perform loud music, Robert doesn't" . No one says Robert should play rock

cliche's, but most of his last 10-15 yr output he has walked far away from his previous music. Of course an artist should grow and take

chances, but you can't blame fans for not wanting to hear SOME rock'n'roll. IMO Manic Nirvana had much rock energy, but had few if

any cliche's.

I think some don't like it because of other genres, Robert incorporated in latter solo career and some because of his criticsm of society, which he pretty much avoided in Zeppelin and early solo career and he has a lot to say, it's great he wrote some of the songs on Fate of nations and Mighty rearranger!

Edited by Matjaz1

I am pleased we can chat about these issues. I came to this from a totally different angle to most on the board as I was too young to appreciate Zeppelin. I knew of Roberts work really from the early solo stuff. Robbie Blunt is another underrated musician IMHO but that early stuff was pop and with the Honeydrippers catalogue I wonder if this was all about connecting to what made him love music in the first place. Tracks like Burning Down One Side, seems to access a rock and pop vibe. The FON seems to be a period where he was comfortable rocking out and then stopped rather abruptly. I like listening to his interviews from his solo years and you do get a feeling he is terrified of being seen as a Rock Cliché.

I can understand why people can't access the trippier output though.

Actually as a musician I can tell you that many Zep songs have easy parts, certainly not most solos , but much more than people think.

And the comments about the (to me, anyway)rather neck breaking jerk after FON and Robert's hellbent efforts to not go anywhere near

typical "rock" are spot on. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with simple or basic parts, just that IMO a lot of Robert's stuff since FON

seems to have overly sparse sections out of place, sometimes a sign that a non-instrumentalist is dictating the music awkwardly. The

first 2 solo albums don't stutter.

It is interesting that there is a gap after FON (of nearly a decade to Dreamland). Something must have changed and he does seem to have the need to start again. He seems to want to never become a cliché, maybe it was all stating to get too big. Would love someone to interview him on the twists and turns of the solo work in detail.

Actually as a musician I can tell you that many Zep songs have easy parts, certainly not most solos , but much more than people think.

And the comments about the (to me, anyway)rather neck breaking jerk after FON and Robert's hellbent efforts to not go anywhere near

typical "rock" are spot on. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with simple or basic parts, just that IMO a lot of Robert's stuff since FON

seems to have overly sparse sections out of place, sometimes a sign that a non-instrumentalist is dictating the music awkwardly. The

first 2 solo albums don't stutter.

If it's not a problem, that's it's easy and simple for you, it would be nice to hear some more argumentation, why a certain part is actually out of place and

wrong for you! I think in Morning dew, the guitar and keyboard parts go really well with the theme of the song and the vocals!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I believe Fate of Nations could have gone platinum... except for the fact that Plant sold possibly millions of singles off the album! He released "Calling to You," "29 Palms," "I Believe," "If I Were a Carpenter," etc. Does anyone else think that all those singles made a significant dent in album sales?

FoN was, as Steve said, a truly brilliant album! Plant called it a "major turning point" in his career. He had an "open house" policy on FoN, welcoming several important guest musicians. I love all of RP's albums-- but if I had to pick a "favorite," it would be this one!

Edited by plantfan
I wanted to make my post a bit clearer and more concise.

On 9/24/2010 at 12:25 PM, SteveAJones said:

Fate of Nations is an astonishingly brilliant album. I dare say a masterpiece. The lyrical content is compelling, earthy, organic, and evocative while the overall production is flawless. If it were released tomorrow you'd never know it was recorded nearly 20 years ago. 5 stars!

Exactly...and having the 'oh jimmy!' shout out at the end of 'Calling To You' was pure cheek! :)

Edited by Paimonus Rex

• 3 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...