No Quarter live

Misfit

Then why did he specifically write "first live performance"?

Who knows? Maybe it's on a compilation disc. I do know that there is a version of No Quarter from Headley Grange studio1971 and even though I also know bootleggers can mislabel shit, I've never seen one that badly dated so I have to go with the Headley grange rehearsal. that's all, no biggie.

Not that Led Zeppelin needs to be raised any higer on their pedestal, but Nutrocker compiled a disc of the "boogie" section of "No Quarter" from the 1977 tour a couple years back. (Hope you're ok with me refreshing minds, Nutrocker)

This disc further cements the illimitible talent of the band, certainly John Paul Jones. It's a veritable feast on improvisation. I guess whatever mood Jonesy was in a particular night?

Compile the 1975 Jones & Bonham NQ jams and I'll be in clover.

1977: 6/21/77 La, then in no order: 5/30/77 & 6/27/77 (everyone loves 6/23/77 but the middle jam doesn't take me anywhere like the others and that's how I rate them

because of the incredible middle jams. On 6/23 they seem to keep slowing it down and almost stopping while the other shows they keep the momentum going and going

and the jams flow until they go back into the conclusion part with vocals. I have wanted to like it but...).

I must admit, the June 23 '77 "No Quarter" isn't one of my favourites, either. It really seems to meander (for lack of a better term) and aside from some cool interplay/ call and response between Page and Bonham it's hard to sustain my interest- as far as the L.A. shows go I'll take June 27, June 22 and June 21 -in that order- over June 23 any day.

June 11 is my absolute hands down favourite 1977 "No Quarter".

Not that Led Zeppelin needs to be raised any higer on their pedestal, but Nutrocker compiled a disc of the "boogie" section of "No Quarter" from the 1977 tour a couple years back. (Hope you're ok with me refreshing minds, Nutrocker)

Refresh all you like! Too bad I can't find my fucking discs with that compilation on it...they're around here somewhere...

Compile the 1975 Jones & Bonham NQ jams and I'll be in clover.

If I had all the 1975 shows I probably would!

I must admit, the June 23 '77 "No Quarter" isn't one of my favourites, either. It really seems to meander (for lack of a better term) and aside from some cool interplay/ call and response between Page and Bonham it's hard to sustain my interest- as far as the L.A. shows go I'll take June 27, June 22 and June 21 -in that order- over June 23 any day.

Great minds think alike. I've never had a good copy of 6/22 but I'll seek it out, thanks!

I've read that the Movie version from TSRTS is better than the original LP version, but now the cd version contains the movie version. Is all of this accurate?

No. The CD contains the remaster of the original LP version and the new TSRtS version is a significantly different edit of the original TSRtS version, so much so that I can't listen to it.

I've read that the Movie version from TSRTS is better than the original LP version, but now the cd version contains the movie version. Is all of this accurate?

chef free's answer is a little convoluted, so I will explain.

When the movie and soundtrack album "The Song Remains the Same" was released in 1976, the "No Quarter" in the film was different than the one on the soundtrack album. The guitar solo was egregiously cut and there was a different segue from the solo back into the last verse. For years, the original 1976 soundtrack album No Quarter was the best version.

The first CD issues of the TSRTS soundtrack kept this version of No Quarter intact.

But then Jimmy decided to remaster TSRTS in 2007 and instead of keeping No Quarter the way it was on the original soundtrack album, he used the film version, which because of arcane Hollywood rules regarding directors rights, couldn't be changed or altered for the new TSRTS release.

So the newer CD and vinyl releases of TSRTS soundtrack album have the butchered No Quarter...as well as other butchered versions of Celebration Day, Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love, etc.

For the best No Quarter, the original 1976 vinyl release of TSRTS and the first CD issue of TSRTS is still the way to go. Also, the Japanese Obi-strip vinyl replica cd from the early 90s also has the good No Quarter.

chef free's answer is a little convoluted, so I will explain.

When the movie and soundtrack album "The Song Remains the Same" was released in 1976, the "No Quarter" in the film was different than the one on the soundtrack album. The guitar solo was egregiously cut and there was a different segue from the solo back into the last verse. For years, the original 1976 soundtrack album No Quarter was the best version.

The first CD issues of the TSRTS soundtrack kept this version of No Quarter intact.

But then Jimmy decided to remaster TSRTS in 2007 and instead of keeping No Quarter the way it was on the original soundtrack album, he used the film version, which because of arcane Hollywood rules regarding directors rights, couldn't be changed or altered for the new TSRTS release.

So the newer CD and vinyl releases of TSRTS soundtrack album have the butchered No Quarter...as well as other butchered versions of Celebration Day, Dazed and Confused, Whole Lotta Love, etc.

For the best No Quarter, the original 1976 vinyl release of TSRTS and the first CD issue of TSRTS is still the way to go. Also, the Japanese Obi-strip vinyl replica cd from the early 90s also has the good No Quarter.

Thank you for clearing that up Strider, I was typing while at work. Thank God for the Obi strip version! The sound track is so over edited...

Thank you for clearing that up Strider, I was typing while at work. Thank God for the Obi strip version! The sound track is so over edited...

Absolutely. Thank goodness I didn't get rid of my old TSRTS. I listen to the original TSRTS release way way more than the reissue...either my Japanese CD or the old vinyl.

Why? Are we not allowed to have opinions that run counter to yer own, Jux?

Apparently not. I've always thought 6/23 No Quarter was overrated. Good, but overrated. That's just me though....

Apparently not. I've always thought 6/23 No Quarter was overrated. Good, but overrated. That's just me though....

I have always thought ALL of 6/23 was over rated except for Achilles. Broken guitar strings in a couple places, lost in Kashmir, average NQ jam, the whole Keith Moon appearance while cool on paper,

does't really translate to a stellar show for the ages. Again it's not a bad show, I want to like it, but it doesn't take me where the other shows do.

It's no competition, just a lot of good music, so that's only how I feel... :stereo:

Why? Are we not allowed to have opinions that run counter to yer own, Jux?

Of course, you are allowed to have your opinion. :) I hear a great performance with structure and purpose. Each section is sublime and they flow into each other beautifully. Everything Jimmy try's works perfect. There are very tight windups and crescendos which is very much a part of improving. The end is spectacular with Jimmy wailing away over it all. Even Jonesy's piano doesn't wander that far off. If we were to listen to this together in the same room I really don't think you would be able to say "look, hear that? it's going nowhere". You may not like it, but I just don't think meandering is the right word for it at all.

Of course, you are allowed to have your opinion. :) I hear a great performance with structure and purpose. Each section is sublime and they flow into each other beautifully. Everything Jimmy try's works perfect. There are very tight windups and crescendos which is very much a part of improving. The end is spectacular with Jimmy wailing away over it all. Even Jonesy's piano doesn't wander that far off. If we were to listen to this together in the same room I really don't think you would be able to say "look, hear that? it's going nowhere". You may not like it, but I just don't think meandering is the right word for it at all.

Fair 'nuff...and I don't think the June 23 NQ "goes nowhere", it just doesn't seem to sustain my interest for some reason. At my age the mind starts to wander don't ya know :lol: Again, I give props to John Bonham for making it interesting. As far as '77 "No Quarter"'s go, like Robert said on the 23rd regarding "Kashmir", "We'll give it eight out of ten". But if you think my views on the June 23rd "No Quarter" are nuts, you might want to skip the rest of this here post... :lol:

I have always thought ALL of 6/23 was over rated except for Achilles. Broken guitar strings in a couple places, lost in Kashmir, average NQ jam, the whole Keith Moon appearance while cool on paper, does't really translate to a stellar show for the ages. Again it's not a bad show, I want to like it, but it doesn't take me where the other shows do.

I wouldn't go that far maybe, but -and I can feel being hauled up on the cross and the nails being pounded into my hands and feet already- but I do sort of agree that the show is a bit overrated (as is June 21...). Or maybe I've just heard it too many times, I don't know :lol: Quite frankly these days when it comes to the L.A. '77 shows I mainly tend to listen to June 27, that's always been my favourite outta those six gigs (if only the June 22nd recordings were of better sound quality...). Unlike yerself, though, Sticks, the Keith Moon guest appearances are what really make the June 23 show for me.

Man, I thought you had everything! Which 1975 shows are you missing?

I've got everything from '77 on. I've heard every '75 show, of course, but I only actually possess about half of them, give or take. As I've stated in other discussions other than the jazz freakout versions of "No Quarter" I'm not really a big fan of the '75 tour (has everybody had to run back to the hardware store for more nails yet? :lol: ) Even though yer idea of compiling all the '75 NQ jams does indeed have my interest piqued...if I can track down the shows I don't have (I would actually have to take inventory which I can't be arsed doing right now) I might just get round to lashing those puppies together...

I probably think the No Quarter from 6/23 is great because I have nostalgia goggles on (it was the first No Quarter I heard outside of TSRTS), but I really think all six LA 77 No Quarters are absolutely superb. They're all unique and each one has its merits. I'm personally surprised no one has praised the one from 6/25. It's a very strong one with Jimmy playing some very nifty stuff. Sure it's Bonzo's weakest night in LA, blah blah blah, but I love it.

Also it's nice to see this sub forum being posted in on a regular basis again!

I have always thought ALL of 6/23 was over rated except for Achilles. Broken guitar strings in a couple places, lost in Kashmir, average NQ jam, the whole Keith Moon appearance while cool on paper,

does't really translate to a stellar show for the ages. Again it's not a bad show, I want to like it, but it doesn't take me where the other shows do.

It's no competition, just a lot of good music, so that's only how I feel... :stereo:

You summed up how I feel about it exactly. It's a good show, I personally prefer 6/21 and 6/27 to it from the run of LA shows I have. Still haven't heard the 22nd and 26th though.

You summed up how I feel about it exactly. It's a good show, I personally prefer 6/21 and 6/27 to it from the run of LA shows I have. Still haven't heard the 22nd and 26th though.

Wow, you're missing out--definitely worth putting up with the sub-par sound.

Archived