No Quarter live

Misfit

Wow, you're missing out--definitely worth putting up with the sub-par sound.

It's on my list, just waiting for the right opportunity to add to my collection. As nutrocker and others have said the 22nd is supposed to be a great performance and Strider has said a number of times the encore from the 26th was worth the price of admission alone!

I too think the NQ from 6/23 is somewhat overrated, although Jones' bit with the organ is incredible. The jam itself is lacking in spots. I can't say that 6/23 overall is overrated, there are definite highlights - ALS and particularly a super nasty version of SA. The acoustic set is subpar however. Its a tough call...

Little has been said about 6/26 which features IMO Jimmy's best playing of the entire stretch. NQ is phenomenal and includes a return to form for Bonham from the previous night. STH this night is also amazing as is OTHAFA.

I really like 6/27, both NQ and the show as a whole. Jimmy drags a little taking up 36 minutes by just himself but OTHAFA, TUF, the acoustic set are all killer.

6/22 is to me the most muscular no nonsense performance, very heavy with little room for experimentation. The night before had nervous energy, this night has justified ego and determination.

Its easy to see that this topic is popular because all of these shows were so good and are very fun to listen to time and time again.

As good as Bonham is in LA however he still had his best night ever on 4/28. Deal with it...

I'd be brazen to say that the June 22nd show could be the most well played performance of the L.A. '77 gigs. Bonham certainly was kicking ass, that's for sure. Excellent "No Quarter" as well!

Au contraire mon frere...I don't think it is brazen at all. It is a great show. You might be surprised to know that ever since acquiring the June 22 show a few years ago, I listen to it more than any other 1977 LA Forum show. One reason is because it is the one show I didn't go to during that run...I stayed home that night and watched "Bionic Woman", "Baretta", and "Charlie's Angels". Consequently, the June 22 show has always had an air of mystery about it since then. "What did I miss?" always went thru my mind.

Another reason is that it is the one 1977 show that has both "In My Time of Dying" and "Over the Hills and Far Away" in the set list. If they had added "Trampled Under Foot" to the encore, as they did during the first leg of the tour, the set list would be perfect.

lz_secondnight.jpg

I was somehow mistakin becuase they never played no quarter anywhere near 1971. So let me fix this. I dont know why i posted that thread so wrong lol

The first no quarter i have on a bootleg is from May 5th 1973. Now people are saying there is a concert from May 4th and thats the first time they performed the song. Well How do you know??? Where is the proof??? Bacause the only bootleg i can find of that date is a soundboard Soundcheck and its just their soundcheck for the concert and it contains no such songs like no quarter.... or even any of their own songs!!! So please help me on this.... where is the bootleg??? whats the name of it????

I was somehow mistakin becuase they never played no quarter anywhere near 1971. So let me fix this. I dont know why i posted that thread so wrong lol

The first no quarter i have on a bootleg is from May 5th 1973. Now people are saying there is a concert from May 4th and thats the first time they performed the song. Well How do you know??? Where is the proof??? Bacause the only bootleg i can find of that date is a soundboard Soundcheck and its just their soundcheck for the concert and it contains no such songs like no quarter.... or even any of their own songs!!! So please help me on this.... where is the bootleg??? whats the name of it????

:slapface:

Go to the TIMELINE section of this website and look up May 4, 1973 - that's when they started the NA tour and Atlanta was the first date.

Richard Cole also mentions it in his book when discussing the May 4, 1973 show in Atlanta:

"At the beginning of 'No Quarter,' dry ice released a thick bank of fog that quickly enveloped the stage--floating, bubbling, seeping, drifting into the crowd. As John Paul's Mellotron created an ethereal mood, Jimmy emerged from the haze, followed by Robert. With bracelets decorating his wrists, Robert positioned his hands on his hips, then extended his fingers and projected his voice skyward. The crowd went berserk. Green lasers soared into and seared through the night sky." -- pg. 204-205

Richard Cole also mentions it in his book

Which means you have to take it with a VERY large pinch of salt, Ricardo's memory ain't the best, and what he didn't know/remember he'd just make up...I can think of two issues with that passage you quoted right off:

- John Paul Jones didn't use a Mellotron for "No Quarter" (It was a Fender Rhodes electric piano...you'd think Richard Cole, the fucking road manager, would have known that!)

- I think the only lasers Zeppelin used in '73/'75 were saved for "Dazed And Confused"...NQ didn't get the laser extravaganza until 1977.

Which means you have to take it with a VERY large pinch of salt, Ricardo's memory ain't the best, and what he didn't know/remember he'd just make up...I can think of two issues with that passage you quoted right off:

- John Paul Jones didn't use a Mellotron for "No Quarter" (It was a Fender Rhodes electric piano...you'd think Richard Cole, the fucking road manager, would have known that!)

- I think the only lasers Zeppelin used in '73/'75 were saved for "Dazed And Confused"...NQ didn't get the laser extravaganza until 1977.

I don't remember any lasers for NQ in 1973.

Not to mention that the Atlanta show had a start time of 4pm. Even if Led Zeppelin started an hour late, with No Quarter coming 30 minutes into the set, it still would have been daylight during No Quarter. There wouldn't have been a nighttime sky...not in May.

To clarify, the Atlanta show had a time of 8pm - just checked the ticket stub on the Timeline page, and a thirty minute delay according to a news article. To further support this, the 16mm footage we have seems to be filmed during the evening.

@hunter19877...There is no bootleg of the show, only a few video fragments with audio of the opening three songs. We can safely assume they played No Quarter at this concert because they played it at every other show on the tour.

Listening to the April 10, 1977 version of No Quarter in Chicago. I was at this show and Page was in full showman mode. He was ripping it up in his white fedora hat. I still have an unseen photo of him during this solo wearing that hat.

Right time and context. Maybe a Dave Lewis book.

Then don't bring it up, it's kind of a dick thing to do. BTW I was at that show as well, too bad I did not have my Instamatic, I would have taken several pics and gladly shared them with everyone free of charge since I am not a professional photographer.

No lasers were used by Zeppelin until 75', i fact I don't think lasers were available in that context (for concerts) until late 74'.

I already shared the film I took of that night in Chicago. That footage of that show was filmed by a friend and I .Your character perception is flat wrong.

Then why not share the picture, and, if you had no intention of sharing (which is your right), why bring it up? I am not slamming you and if I came across as abrasive I apologize, just curious thats all.

Listening to the April 10, 1977 version of No Quarter in Chicago. I was at this show and Page was in full showman mode. He was ripping it up in his white fedora hat. I still have an unseen photo of him during this solo wearing that hat.

Gave this show a listen while watching the Canucks/Oilers game on Saturday night (boy I wish a better source recording would appear!)...there's a good performance underneath all that distortion :lol: And as you can see from my avatar I always reckoned Page looked like a bad ass motherfucker in that outfit!

FWIW, the sound quality of the audio from the film you and yer friend took is miles ahead of the goddamn bootleg audio...

Gave this show a listen while watching the Canucks/Oilers game on Saturday night (boy I wish a better source recording would appear!)...there's a good performance underneath all that distortion :lol: And as you can see from my avatar I always reckoned Page looked like a bad ass motherfucker in that outfit!

FWIW, the sound quality of the audio from the film you and yer friend took is miles ahead of the goddamn bootleg audio...

The footage we shot was silent Nutrocker. Someone else applied the audio to the film. We never got any money or credit for the film because my supposed friend and the bootlegger colluded with each other to convert the film and lie that it couldn't be done. Imagine how we felt when we saw the exact same footage in later days. Well the betrayer died of a drug overdose. It all evens out.

I did have my own audio recordings of both Saturday and Sunday night shows. I was actually caught by security with the recorder strapped to my back. I think wearing a parka in 70 degree heat was a dead giveaway! They let me in with the cassette recorder and I have to say the sound was better than any of the other recordings I've heard of the Chicago shows. When I relocated to Florida in 1994 I stored my Zeppelin materials at my parent's home. When I moved back in 1997 I went to retrieve my memorabilia and it was all gone. My younger brother had sold it off without my permission. Everything was missing. Including the tapes I had recorded.

I have a question about your footage, Chicago. "Trampled Under Foot" comes between "Battle of Evermore" and "Kashmir". Normally "Kashmir" was the first rocking song after the acoustic set. Did they really play "Trampled" before "White Summer/BMS/Kashmir" or did your reel get out of order?

Also, I noticed you filmed the exact moment Jimmy leaps up from his chair and goes from "Black Mountain Side" into "Kashmir". How did you know to film that exact moment...did you know the setlist beforehand?

By the way...what happened to your stuff breaks my heart and is similar to some of my history. Family...unfortunately you can't choose them like you can your friends. That young brother of yours is lucky he is not a dead brother.

Strider, Trampled Under Foot was played after Black Country Woman/ Bron-Yr-Stomp. That did surprise me as Trampled had been the opening night's 2nd encore. Both versions were crazy good and the loudest song they played. It felt like they doubled the volume!

As for Kashmir, I had seen the 3 previous concerts and we knew exactly when Kashmir kicked off. We would have loved to have filmed more but it was clumsy enough with the gear and trying not to be noticed. We knew about Peter Grant! We saw him standing by Page's side fills.

It would have been useless to clobber my brother. He had some "issues" at the time and beating his ass would've been redundant.

The footage we shot was silent Nutrocker. Someone else applied the audio to the film. We never got any money or credit for the film because my supposed friend and the bootlegger colluded with each other to convert the film and lie that it couldn't be done. Imagine how we felt when we saw the exact same footage in later days. Well the betrayer died of a drug overdose. It all evens out.

Interesting, because the audio whomever it was dubbed to yer silent film is way superior to the circulating April 10 bootlegs. It was discussed here before, I believe, and thanks for correcting our previous assumption that the audio was from yer film capture.

I did have my own audio recordings of both Saturday and Sunday night shows. I was actually caught by security with the recorder strapped to my back. I think wearing a parka in 70 degree heat was a dead giveaway! They let me in with the cassette recorder and I have to say the sound was better than any of the other recordings I've heard of the Chicago shows. When I relocated to Florida in 1994 I stored my Zeppelin materials at my parent's home. When I moved back in 1997 I went to retrieve my memorabilia and it was all gone. My younger brother had sold it off without my permission. Everything was missing. Including the tapes I had recorded.

Now that is shitty indeed...my condolences.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived