Zeppelin influence on Tom Petty's new album

PhxHorn

The concert tonight was postponed *again*, but Mike Campbell had some interesting comments in today's paper:

Question: You guys would appear to be playing up the blues side of your sound more on this album. What inspired that?

Answer: A lot of it was this guitar I got, this 1959 Les Paul Sunburst that I'd always wanted. Tom was looking at it and he said, "We should do a record around the sound of this guitar." So we wrote songs with that guitar in mind. And that guitar kind of leads you into that type of bluesy sound.

Q: Was one of those inspirations you hadn't explored before Led Zeppelin? "I Should Have Known It" has a very prominent Led Zeppelin vibe. A: I'll take that as a compliment 'cause I love Led Zeppelin. That guitar is the same vintage guitar that Jimmy Page used a lot, and Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. It's interesting, that guitar, when you play it, it leads you into those types of riffs for some reason. The sound it makes wants to play that sort of thing. That particular song was definitely inspired by just picking up that guitar and following what it wanted to do.

I just noticed today that I get a free download of the album with my concert ticket, and I'll say this: It doesn't really thrill me, too much slow blues, but there are some decent songs on it. The tune mentioned above does sound very much like a Zeppelin tune, and would be of interest to Zeppelin fans.

Judge for yourselves:

The concert tonight was postponed *again*, but Mike Campbell had some interesting comments in today's paper:

Question: You guys would appear to be playing up the blues side of your sound more on this album. What inspired that?

Answer: A lot of it was this guitar I got, this 1959 Les Paul Sunburst that I'd always wanted. Tom was looking at it and he said, "We should do a record around the sound of this guitar." So we wrote songs with that guitar in mind. And that guitar kind of leads you into that type of bluesy sound.

Q: Was one of those inspirations you hadn't explored before Led Zeppelin? "I Should Have Known It" has a very prominent Led Zeppelin vibe. A: I'll take that as a compliment 'cause I love Led Zeppelin. That guitar is the same vintage guitar that Jimmy Page used a lot, and Eric Clapton and Jeff Beck. It's interesting, that guitar, when you play it, it leads you into those types of riffs for some reason. The sound it makes wants to play that sort of thing. That particular song was definitely inspired by just picking up that guitar and following what it wanted to do.

I just noticed today that I get a free download of the album with my concert ticket, and I'll say this: It doesn't really thrill me, too much slow blues, but there are some decent songs on it. The tune mentioned above does sound very much like a Zeppelin tune, and would be of interest to Zeppelin fans.

Judge for yourselves:

I didn't see anyone playing a '59 Les Paul, the closest was a SG and the Gibson Petty was playing (more like holding).

I here the Zep in Tom Petty's song. Zeppelin would have done it more subteley and slyer if you get my drift. There would have been no other rhythm guitar to help. It reminds me of Traveling riverside blues slowed down. Its mid era Zeppelin.

No big surprise, everyone borrows from Zep. Toms new album is pretty decent, finally strayed from just copying bob dylan songs.

I'm far from a big Tom Petty fan but I can't say I agree with the "copying Dylan" sentiment. Influenced by Dylan? Yes. Copy? No. Then again it's strange when the "borrowing from Zep" thing comes up because if anyone was ever guilty of plundering other artists' work, it's Led Zeppelin.

Zep was straight forward about 'borrowing', they took blues songs and put them on steroids. Everyone after 1970 or so sounded & imitated Zeppelin. & yes most Tom Petty songs are in the vain of dylan's work, u can only strum C D & G in that mode, in every song before you start sounding like Dylan or John Denver.

Zep was straight forward about 'borrowing', they took blues songs and put them on steroids. Everyone after 1970 or so sounded & imitated Zeppelin.

Everyone?

& yes most Tom Petty songs are in the vain of dylan's work, u can only strum C D & G in that mode, in every song before you start sounding like Dylan or John Denver.

Dylan is no doubt an influence and but those chords aren't unique to just Dylan, practically every singer/songwriter mode has employed them.

Archived