Best shows of '77?

chef free

The LA Forum shows, all day long. There aren't many hot shows in '77, the LA shows are some of the few that qualify. 6/21, 6/23, and 6/25...hot shows and great recordings by Mike Millard.

edited to add: sorry, didn't see your subtitle, "after LA"...some of the Landover, MD shows are pretty good, and are soundboards too.

11-6-77

13-6-77

18-5-77

22-5-77

30-5-77

21-5-77

That should be enough to get you started.

To which I would add (especially if you're not that picky regarding sound quality):

10-4-77

23-4-77

30-4-77

10-6-77

But I'm probably biased :P IMO there's only a handful of '77 shows that are really below par (25-4, 28-5, 17-7 and 20-7 immediately come to mind) but even the "bad" shows have their good points (well...maybe not Tempe). What can I say? Get em all!!! Granted some shows are very hard to find, but I'd reckon a few of us '77 fanatics/obsessives could help you out there...

Monday May 30th 1977 in Landover MD. Some footage was just posted by Sam and pinned. What a night it was. The night that made my life complete. I vowed to see them back in the early 70s. I regret not seeing the Beatles and losing my ride to the Pink Floyd concert I had tickets to. But I can say I saw them. There are many that cannot. Around here especially. DJ's included did not get their chance as the Buffalo show being canceled really broke alot of hearts around here.

I'm biased in a big way, but what the fuck? Check B'ham,AL, May 18.I'm repeating myself, but primo versions of SIBLY & No Quarter. First show of the second leg... fresh dragon suit...

I'm biased in a big way, but what the fuck? Check B'ham,AL, May 18.I'm repeating myself, but primo versions of SIBLY & No Quarter. First show of the second leg... fresh dragon suit...

May 18 is one of the best shows of the tour, no question. Were you there?

They seemed to have their shit together during those May shows...hardly missed a beat after a two week break, and that is a tour where it took a while for the band to really gel. The second Cleveland show was almost a fluke as far as how good it was compared to the other April shows. :D Damning with faint praise...

May 18 is one of the best shows of the tour, no question. Were you there?

They seemed to have their shit together during those May shows...hardly missed a beat after a two week break, and that is a tour where it took a while for the band to really gel. The second Cleveland show was almost a fluke as far as how good it was compared to the other April shows. :D Damning with faint praise...

Yep, I was there. If you've seen the video clip of Birmingham, I was actually pretty close to whoever filmed it. I was a little further from the stage than they were.

It was a general admission show, so during ALS, I made my way down to probably 10 feet from the stage or security barrier. Got to see STH and R&R up close.

Plant's voice seems to be in 1977 peak form for this show to me. Page was animated. Active, not passive.

Being a general admission show,no seats on the floor, the truly rabid hardest of hardcore fans were the closest to the band. And Led Zeppelin fed off that energy.

A great 1977 show, top to bottom, but maybe overlooked.

I took a few decent photos of the concert from the upper level and got one good one from down front. Don't know where in the hell they are though, dammit!

• 6 months later...

I was at the Easter Sunday show at the Chicago Stadium, down front for most of the show. This was my second concert and long before I began experimenting with recreational substances :-) I did not even drink at this time so I have a very clear, crystal clear in fact recollection of the show. My older cousin Tom was a huge fan and went to every show in Chicago since 1972, I was thunder struck when he asked little old me to go with. BTW I was only 9 years old and my first concert was Tanya Tucker. I had been a huge fan of the band myself since age seven when my older brother began to jam the Zeppelin in the house.

When my cousin picked me and my brother up for the show he gave us a disclaimer due to cancellation mid way through the previous performance, that is, the show may not go on. Luck for us and the 18,000 other Chicago fans the show did go on and Jimmy was in TOP form!!! I have the boots from the Forum in 1977 (Listen to this Eddie) and I have to say my experience at the Chicago show was easily on par if not better in some parts. The whole band was firing on all cylinders that night, Jimmy in stormtrooper outfit and then gangster garb, dancing around and playing virtually perfect. Plant's voice was incredible, easily early 73' quality but with an even better resonance. Jones and Bonzo, what can I say, they were perfect. The crowd was very wild that night, very high energy but not negative. I think everyone was happy they even played after the previous show, as a result the band really feed off the energy. I could go through a song by song but that would be redundant, the fact is when Jimmy was clean in 77' those were the golden shows. I believe he was clean at this show, very animated, bright eyed, and the interplay between him, Robert, Jones, and Bonzo was amazing. I have experience with smacked out musicians and people in general and I can guarantee Jimmy was not walking with the white lady that night in Chicago.

Thank God I was fortunate enough to have been witness to what Zeppelin was capable of in 77' when Jimmy was not under the influence. IMO, if Jimmy would have been clean this would have been the best tour they ever did. Oh well, what is and what could never be.

I am so glad this thread got bumped today!!!

The LA shows recorded by Mike Millard and the soundboard shows; April 27 (Cleveland), May 21 (Houston, May 26 & 28 (Landover) & June 7 (New York).

Also, the April 28, Cleveland, Ohio audience recording.

I’m bias to the Ohio show being from Columbus.

In fact 34 years ago tonight (April 20, 1977), I was a 16 year old Led Zeppelin nut, at Riverfront Coliseum, Cincinnati, Ohio having one of the best nights of my life!

While at work today, in honor of this, I listened to what little audience recording that has surfaced from this night. Along with Destroyer (soundboard) from Cleveland, April 27.

In fact 34 years ago tonight (April 20, 1977), I was a 16 year old Led Zeppelin nut, at Riverfront Coliseum, Cincinnati, Ohio having one of the best nights of my life!

While at work today, in honor of this, I listened to what little audience recording that has surfaced from this night. Along with Destroyer (soundboard) from Cleveland, April 27.

Nice way to spend 4/20! B)

I did the same, actually...'cept I was at home and smokin' up a storm!!!

I still swear Jonesy attempts to play "Lady Madonna" by The Beatles during the winddown of the "Boogie Section" in "No Quarter" before Page's big solo (on the first Cincinatti show, the 19th)

I was at the Easter Sunday show at the Chicago Stadium, down front for most of the show. This was my second concert and long before I began experimenting with recreational substances :-) I did not even drink at this time so I have a very clear, crystal clear in fact recollection of the show. My older cousin Tom was a huge fan and went to every show in Chicago since 1972, I was thunder struck when he asked little old me to go with. BTW I was only 9 years old and my first concert was Tanya Tucker. I had been a huge fan of the band myself since age seven when my older brother began to jam the Zeppelin in the house.

When my cousin picked me and my brother up for the show he gave us a disclaimer due to cancellation mid way through the previous performance, that is, the show may not go on. Luck for us and the 18,000 other Chicago fans the show did go on and Jimmy was in TOP form!!! I have the boots from the Forum in 1977 (Listen to this Eddie) and I have to say my experience at the Chicago show was easily on par if not better in some parts. The whole band was firing on all cylinders that night, Jimmy in stormtrooper outfit and then gangster garb, dancing around and playing virtually perfect. Plant's voice was incredible, easily early 73' quality but with an even better resonance. Jones and Bonzo, what can I say, they were perfect. The crowd was very wild that night, very high energy but not negative. I think everyone was happy they even played after the previous show, as a result the band really feed off the energy. I could go through a song by song but that would be redundant, the fact is when Jimmy was clean in 77' those were the golden shows. I believe he was clean at this show, very animated, bright eyed, and the interplay between him, Robert, Jones, and Bonzo was amazing. I have experience with smacked out musicians and people in general and I can guarantee Jimmy was not walking with the white lady that night in Chicago.

Thank God I was fortunate enough to have been witness to what Zeppelin was capable of in 77' when Jimmy was not under the influence. IMO, if Jimmy would have been clean this would have been the best tour they ever did. Oh well, what is and what could never be.

The Easter Sunday show is damn good, in spite of the terrible recording. You were there, of course, which tops any recording. I would easily place 4-10 in the top ten for '77, possibly even the top five. And that's simply based on the piss poor audience recording!

As you can tell from my avatar, I thought Page looked like a badass mofo in that getup...

Hey '77 lovers and experts (Nutrocker, 3 Hours, Tom Kid, etc.), Which shows are the best of '77? I am much more intrested in hot shows than good recordings.

What were the best 77 shows? Any one you were at! :)

Sorry...been feeling cheeky all day...the impending Plant concert's got me in a good mood.

EXCELLENT POST SAGITTARIUS! :thumbs up:

What a great concert memory to share with us. Thanks.

Archived