5/23/73

6/2/73

7/15/73

7/17/73

7/20/73

7/21/73

7/24/73

7/29/73

Do I have most of the really good shows? Or what are some other great shows that I really need to add to my collection soon?

There are many excellent shows you don't have...

1/15/73 Stoke UK (soundboard)

3/17/73 Munich

3/19/73 Berlin

3/21/73 Hamburg (basically all the German shows from March 73)

5/19/73 Fort Worth, TX (soundboard)

5/26/73 Salt Lake City, UT (soundboard)

5/31/73 Bonzo's birthday party, LA Forum

7/12/73 Detroit

6/3/73 from the Forum is great too. Also known as "Three Days After". Love the versions of The Ocean, Thank You and Communication Breakdown. The WLL medley is brought back for a bit and includes The Hunter portion from HMMT. Definitely a good one to have and good audience recordings exist on this one.

6/3/73 from the Forum is great too. Also known as "Three Days After". Love the versions of The Ocean, Thank You and Communication Breakdown. The WLL medley is brought back for a bit and includes The Hunter portion from HMMT. Definitely a good one to have and good audience recordings exist on this one.

one of my all time faves.........a boot that goes way back to the 70s when not a lot was available

great "going down" in that WLL medly.........as well as one of my favorite versions of thank you......love pages guitar work at the end

think i have a pic of my old copy

yup......a classic boot

76.jpg

surely the older led heds will remember B)

Thanks very much for all the info. I see there are a lot of great shows from 1973 I haven't gotten yet. 1973 looks to be a very good year for live shows.

73 was HOT. Plant's voice was a little worse for wear, but instrumentally, they were never tighter or more bad-ass than 73. Bonham and Jones were always solid, so when judging their live prowess, it always basically comes down to how Page was playing. 73 was probably his strongest year playing live.

73 was HOT. Plant's voice was a little worse for wear, but instrumentally, they were never tighter or more bad-ass than 73. Bonham and Jones were always solid, so when judging their live prowess, it always basically comes down to how Page was playing. 73 was probably his strongest year playing live.

Mat, although I agree that his playing was phenominal in early 73, I'd have to say his most consistant and inspired playing was in the 71 to 72 era. That would have coincided with the rest of the band being right up to snuff as well but, there was also an energy about all of them that I think Page really fed off of. They were on their way up and that's a great place for any band to be :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Seeing that you are in (from?) Illinois, a strange one from that tour would be July 6th, 1973 ... or is it June 7th? The American & European dating configurations throws me off sometimes regarding Das Boots.

Anyhooooo .... it's called "Second City Showdown." The band is tight! First time they play the original Madhouse on Madison, the Chicago Stadium.

But, what makes this boot an oddity, is that Plant is suffering two things: A nasty freaking cold that has his voice sounding so rough like his grandmother took over the vocals for the night, and second, a very, very rowdy audience that Plant has to admonish between many of the songs ("What are we fighting for?") and if memory serves, at one point he threatens to pull the band off the stage. (Maybe the rowdiness was a direct result of fan displeasure with Plant's voice, and the fans feeling like they were being ripped off?? No where on the tape does Percy apologize for his bad cold. Maybe the band should have took the night off & rescheduled?) That being said, it's unlike any boot of Zep's you'll ever hear -- in my humble ass opinion.

P.S.: Some collectors incorrectly label the must-have rehearsal boot, "Tribute to Johnny Kidd & the Pirates" (name?), as being before the Chicago 1973 shows. It was actually from before the 1975 Minneapolis show.

Many 1973 shows that I am looking for are incompleted recordings; they always seem to end on STH. Anyone know why?

I haven't looked at my time counter, but maybe because the audience recordings were done on 1-hour cassettes, and the taper only brought two blanks? Back in the day, 90-minute cassette tapes were prone (not always, but more often than the 60 minute) to jamming/tearing. Just a guess; I don't really know either.

Archived