Robert Plant's Range Rover 1973

lzzoso

On page 197 of the book, Led Zeppelin: the Concert File, by Dave Lewis with Simon Pallet, it states that author Howard Mylett was at the soundcheck for the Led Zeppelin show on Sunday, January 21, 1973 and Mylett recalls that, "On arriving in the afternoon, I saw Robert's Range Rover parked outside with its feather symbol on the side".

I realize that this topic may have few replies, however, has anyone read about this before. Even better would be actual pictures of Robert's Range Rover with His symbol on the side. I can imagine such a car and the Image that it portrays in my mind but an actual photo would be even better. Is anyone just as curious as I am to see such a picture?

On page 197 of the book, Led Zeppelin: the Concert File, by Dave Lewis with Simon Pallet, it states that author Howard Mylett was at the soundcheck for the Led Zeppelin show on Sunday, January 21, 1973 and Mylett recalls that, "On arriving in the afternoon, I saw Robert's Range Rover parked outside with its feather symbol on the side".

I realize that this topic may have few replies, however, has anyone read about this before. Even better would be actual pictures of Robert's Range Rover with His symbol on the side. I can imagine such a car and the Image that it portrays in my mind but an actual photo would be even better. Is anyone just as curious as I am to see such a picture?

I think this is him posing on top of it

Lion_on_Land_Rover.jpg

If I recall, Land Rovers were good vehicles back then -- you could drop a new engine in them pretty easy. (Not the greatest vehicles now...) So he has good taste! Hopefully he took it to Africa or something.

Alas, I've never seen a pic of this, but if I do, I'll know where to post it. :)

I think this is him posing on top of it

Lion_on_Land_Rover.jpg

:hysterical:

This is hands down the funniest reply I've ever read on a board.

I shall contact Howard this weekend to inquire what else he may recall about Robert's Range Rover, though I doubt he took a photograph at the time and I don't think I have one on file.

I shall contact Howard this weekend to inquire what else he may recall about Robert's Range Rover, though I doubt he took a photograph at the time and I don't think I have one on file.

This from author Howard Mylett:

The only time I saw Robert Plant in his Range Rover was pre show rehearsal Jan 73 at Southampton Gaumont. The feather emblem was definitely on the vehicle as per the Rune symbol. Robert was always friendly and always larger than life - a great character.

brighton76.jpg

Edited by SteveAJones

:D very funny , i think this foto is taken from a 70 tv serial "Daktari" its about a bush animal doctor and his family , i liked it a lot as a child back in the 70s the name of the lion is clarence

Oh my gawd. People here know everything! You know the name of the lion! That's impressive. B)

This from author Howard Mylett:

The only time I saw Robert Plant in his Range Rover was pre show rehearsal Jan 73 at Southampton Gaumont. The feather emblem was definitely on the vehicle as per the Rune symbol. Robert was always friendly and always larger than life - a great character.

brighton76.jpg

Mr. Jones, you are a resourceful genius!

I'm 99% sure it is. I can contact him for confirmation.

I appreciate your help and replies to this topic I started. I realize you are/were trying to locate and post a picture of Robert's Range Rover with His Symbol on the side. Like I said in my first post, imagining a picture of this vehicle is one thing, actually seeing one is obviously even better. Thanks.

:D very funny , i think this foto is taken from a 70 tv serial "Daktari" its about a bush animal doctor and his family , i liked it a lot as a child back in the 70s the name of the lion is clarence

According To this Website his name was Boy. http://www.fatheroflions.org/GeorgeAdamson_Photos_p.1.html

Boy_OnLandRover_GeorgeHoldingPaw_LAF_005_Cr.jpg

George lifting Boy's paw so he can close the door of his Land Rover without hurting Boy.

Bill Travers (on the other side of the Land Rover), had to lift Boy's tail to close his door!

i doubt it ever existed,i mean you dont draw attention to yourself like this doyou.

Kneb41.jpg

Robert Plant at the wheel, Knebworth Festival, August 1979

This from the highly-esteemed Led Zeppelin author and Tight But Loose fanzine publisher Dave Lewis:

More Knebworth golden memories - around 5pm a chrokee jeep pulled up the top of the Knebworth house - As luck would have it it was Robert - he asked me which way the stage was and I was happy to oblige...just another TBL service...

Edited by SteveAJones

• 4 years later...

There was a photo in the Express and Star, possibly on the day Bob took delivery of it from Fred Corbett's (Garages) Ltd., in Cinder Bank Netherton.

I remember the day well because my wife processed all the documents for it.

Later on that year she also processed the documents for Nev (Noddy) Holder's Mercedes and Don Powell's white Bentley.

There was a photo in the Express and Star, possibly on the day Bob took delivery of it from Fred Corbett's (Garages) Ltd., in Cinder Bank Netherton.

I remember the day well because my wife processed all the documents for it.

Later on that year she also processed the documents for Nev (Noddy) Holder's Mercedes and Don Powell's white Bentley.

No kidding? I'll try to track down the Express & Star article.

• 2 years later...

Re all the above.

I went to school in Kinver in 60's and 70's. The Range Rover was frequently in the High Street along with Bobs silver "pagoda" roof Mercedes SL.

The feather symbol mentioned was not on the side but in the centre of the rear tailgate. The sides were painted / decaled with a golden flowing scroll like pattern, the Rover was a mid brown sort of colour if I recall correctly. My Father was a photographer at the Express and Star then covering the Black Country down to Kinver but I never recall him mentioning photographing Bob. There is a picture on Google of Bob and said Rover that looks like it was taken in Wolverly by one of his favourite public house haunts, a close second was the Royal Exchange in Enville Street Stourbridge because it served Batham's ale (his then favourite).

As for Howard the band found him an annoyance especially after "Tangents within a framework" So no wonder he thought the logo was on the side,he couldnt get that right.

Viva Daktari and Clarence the cross eyed lion,,it's a 60's thing.

tangents within a framework is a pretty poor affair

as for Clarence the cross eyed lion, this led to any kid at school unfortunate enough to have cross eyes to be known as Clarence. I remember two or three of them.