What kind of harmonica did Robert play?

xAsylum

Keys, in all of the zeppelin songs (Bring it on home, when the levee breaks, you shook me, etc)

Not sure without listening closer, I'm not really a fan of RP's harmonica so I never really studied it. His technique is somewhat limited but chances are he's playing "cross harp", which is common for blues stuff where there are bent notes. I'm sure you can find out more about cross harp by searching the net but since BIOH is in E playing cross harp would mean he used an A harmonica. The other songs would be a little tougher to figure out due to the way the songs were recorded and mixed, studio effects, WTLB was pitch shifted a quite a bit. Anyway google cross harp and assume that RP either played his stuff in cross harp or straight and go from there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am pretty sure he would playing a "blues harp" (harmonica) and, danelectro i think is spot on....Shook me all night long, I am pretty sure it is an "A" Harp as the song is played in "E" then "A" is the cross harp you would use for that bluesy sound.

I got my "A" harp out and it was pretty bloody close to the recording, but as danelectro again being spot on, the pitches can change a slight bit with recording and subsequent copying files etc. I am only just learning to play Zep harmonica now so if anyone else has any tips etc, would be happy to hear from you.

cheers

Stewy

"There is Led Zeppelin, then there is all other bands"

I am pretty sure he would playing a "blues harp" (harmonica) and, danelectro i think is spot on....Shook me all night long, I am pretty sure it is an "A" Harp as the song is played in "E" then "A" is the cross harp you would use for that bluesy sound.

I got my "A" harp out and it was pretty bloody close to the recording, but as danelectro again being spot on, the pitches can change a slight bit with recording and subsequent copying files etc. I am only just learning to play Zep harmonica now so if anyone else has any tips etc, would be happy to hear from you.

cheers

Stewy

"There is Led Zeppelin, then there is all other bands"

You should select a harmonica 4 full steps above the key of the song that you want to play.

For example: You Shook Me is in the key of E, therefore you would use an A Harp.

Same with Bring It On Home.

Use a Bb Harp on When The Levee Breaks.

D Harp on Custard Pie.

C Harp on Black Country Woman.

A Harp on Nobody's Fault But Mine.

F Harp on Poor Tom.

Robert Plant used Diatonic Harmonicas and a February 1971 Sounds magazine listed Robert as playing M. Horner Echo Super Vamper Harmonicas (available still on eBay).

Hope this helps.

• 8 years later...

yes indeed this is a B flat Bb harp played in cross harp fashion. i took at course in harmonica at Vanderbilt univ this summer from Bronson Hermuth & Charlie McCoy 

ive memorized this song and every single note played is cross harp in B flat. 

the other info is inaccurate