Tom Petty

Chap

Is the fact that you find these two Petty tracks "Zeppelin-ish" supposed to somehow make his music more attractive to us? If so, it would take a lot more than that to win me over to the Petty camp. I admire him and listen to his radio show on XM pretty regularly but have never really been much of a fan. I've just never been able to get past his voice which pretty much grates on my very last nerve.

It's a fair criticism, Jahfin. It's the guitar work that appeals to me. I am not as bothered as you by the vocals. I just love that Mike Campbell. His solo act, the Dirty Knobs is also top shelf. Their version of Goldfinger--wow. Also I think one thing that helps is that Tom seems like a decent enough guy. Unassuming, friendly. Meh..to each his own. And no, I do not believe that any amount of my admiration or my personal association of these tracks with Zeppelin will make them more attractive to you. I just thought it was suitable fare for the forum, that's all. In the first, I sure like the lick when it goes to the four. And the drop to the fifth for the quite good slide solo is well nice. It's just refreshing to hear something that makes me want to crank the knobs. I for one am delighted to see Tom (and Mike) move in a direction that appeals to me. Vocals are very personal. I for one cannot bear Paul Rogers. Nor am I really a fan of the "tall cool one" period. I suppose my response would be If I cannot win you over to the Petty camp as you put it--at least give Mike Campbell another listen. He is a master of tone and does things properly. Check out Dirty Knobs. If you still are not impressed, well good on you friend-o, no harm done.

That said--if there is something out there whose "camp" i should be in, Well Lord Love ya brother--hook a fella up.

Cheers.

If you've spent any time at all around here (particularly this section of the board), you'd notice how so many want to hear nothing but Zeppelin soundalikes or bands that were heavily influenced by Zeppelin so the whole "where's the next Zeppelin?" thing gets old very quick. It's as though they're the only band that exists to some people so that's where I was coming from with my comments. I've been well aware of Petty since the 70s and have even seen him in concert. I don't hate him, I just don't care for the majority of his music. I think Mike Campbell is a great guitarist but I'm still not a Heartbreakers fan.

If you want to sample some new music keep an eye on the Current Music Recommendations thread. It's a very refreshing breath of fresh air as it shows not everyone here is interested in Zeppelin rehashes.

• 1 year later...

Tom Petty Auctioning Off 'Favorite' Convertible on eBay‎

RollingStone.com

I have had the privilege of working with some of these doctors over the years...they do a lot of good for people.

And Petty? Well...he only saved my life! :)

Edited by planted

• 1 year later...

Wow! Another Petty fan, perhaps??

TP is gracing this months edition of 'Mens Journal'.. A pretty good read.

I haven't had much free time to sit and listen to 'Hypnotic Eye' yet. Is it good?

Will you see him on this tour?

I was just coming here to say the new album is streaming on Amazon through the 28th.

And, XM radio is starting a Petty channel (not the Buried Treasure channel) on Friday (I think) and staying around for a month or so. There will be a town hall type thing on Saturday (I think :) ) with Jim Ladd asking the questions. I like the Jim Ladd show on Deep Tracks in the evening.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, badgeholder said:

Damn. Very sad news.

I was going to go the Monday Hollywood bowl show, but didn't, Turns out it was his last one. 

Hi badgeholder. That's the show I ended up going to. Originally was planning on going to the first night the previous Thursday but my schedule got screwed up and I gave my ticket up to my godson. Almost thought of skipping the entire thing but come Monday morning I just started having this feeling wash over me..."dude, you better see them now 'cause you never know...remember Lynyrd Skynyrd."

There seems to be a lot of confusing reports going on right now about his condition. I'm seeing a lot of sources saying he's dead/taken off life support, but I'm also seeing how the LAPD apparently fucked up and announced his death prematurely. According to this source, he's still clinging to life, but it's not looking good at all. Regardless, I'll take any sliver of good news I can get today!

1 hour ago, Strider said:

Hi badgeholder. That's the show I ended up going to. Originally was planning on going to the first night the previous Thursday but my schedule got screwed up and I gave my ticket up to my godson. Almost thought of skipping the entire thing but come Monday morning I just started having this feeling wash over me..."dude, you better see them now 'cause you never know...remember Lynyrd Skynyrd."

Missed the Arroyo Seco gig as well. So how was the show? Save that ticket stub!