"The Rover" LZ's most Under Rated Song?

ZoSo88

What do you guys think. I love the song, its a great hard rock masterpiece and a great moment in Guitar history. Kinda personifies what was in the air during that Physical Graffiti era. And for some reason gets little reckognition, and i think is often overlooked. What do you guys think of the song and how come its not concidered along with their other "greatest hits" and never really played live.

Trampled Underfoot is an amazing song. I'm not so sure how underrated you could say it is, but it's definitely an amazing song!

As for the Rover, I think that is highly underrated. And a song as spectacular as that should be performed at the reunion.

Trampled Underfoot is an amazing song. I'm not so sure how underrated you could say it is, but it's definitely an amazing song!

As for the Rover, I think that is highly underrated. And a song as spectacular as that should be performed at the reunion.

its hard to say what underrated means...underrated by who? i think many on the board would say in the light is one of their best, but the mainstream zep fan would not. overall, the entire presence album i'd say is underrated (aside from achilles and nobody's fault, which get their much deserved props). jimmy page would agree with me.

its hard to say what underrated means...underrated by who? i think many on the board would say in the light is one of their best, but the mainstream zep fan would not. overall, the entire presence album i'd say is underrated (aside from achilles and nobody's fault, which get their much deserved props). jimmy page would agree with me.

I feel that In Through The Out Door is more underrated among Led Zeppelin fans, but it is my favorite album as a whole, all the songs just work together so well.

"The Rover" is vastly underrated, but it is not the band's most underrated by any means. The most underrated song by Zep (outside their hardcore fanbase) is "Ten Years Gone," a song that never gets much airplay but is just a beautiful sounding song with great lyrics and great vocals.

"The Rover" is a good song. It's underrated because I think I even underestimate it's power. :lol:

I listen to it whenever it's played, but I don't actively seek it out. When I'm listening to it, I love it...so I don't know why I never think of it as one of the best...but it is....

What is interesting to me about this song, it does not sound like any of their other stuff, it is a new kind of sound for them, although I do love it and it has a very nice lyrics.

I think Page used a Boss Flanger on this tune which is a very cool sounding guitar pedal.

What do you guys think. I love the song, its a great hard rock masterpiece and a great moment in Guitar history. Kinda personifies what was in the air during that Physical Graffiti era. And for some reason gets little reckognition, and i think is often overlooked. What do you guys think of the song and how come its not concidered along with their other "greatest hits" and never really played live.

AGREE AGREE AGREE!

...The guitar solo is one of Jimmy's most melodic as well --- I look forward to it everytime I hear the song.

I obvioulsy have the song in high regard.... just look at my UserName . . .

I think that "The Rover" is a better song than "Trampled Underfoot", as least the studio version is better...

I was disapointed when "The Rover" was not played on the '77 tour, and instead a few opening bars were played, a tease intro to "Sick Again".....

I was also sorry that "The Rover" did not make the cut for the first boxed set, or the various compilations.

Even our latest offering.... "The Mothership", which is touted on the Official website as "The Very Best Of Led Zeppelin".... I personally don't see any "Very Best" of Led Zeppelin... without "The Rover"...

"The Rover" is pure Hard Rock, and, for me, sums up the poser of what Led Zeppelin is all about....

outside of WLL and HB abd D&C.....

I hope that the rumored playing of this song at the O2 event will be a rip-roaring success !!!!

I will say this in closing, that the most powerful Led Zeppelin songs, as performed live, are:

WLL

HB

D&C

SIBLY

Kashmir

"The Rover", for me, would be in the next tier of powerful Zeppelin songs, along with:

TSRTS

NFBM

Good Times, Bad Times

Trampled Underfoot

Rock'n'Roll

Black Dog

MMHop

In The Evening

We're Gonna Groove

I obvioulsy have the song in high regard.... just look at my UserName . . .

I think that "The Rover" is a better song than "Trampled Underfoot", as least the studio version is better...

I was disapointed when "The Rover" was not played on the '77 tour, and instead a few openingbars were played, a tease intro to "Sick Again".....

I was also sorry that "The Rover" did not make the cut for the first boxed set, or the various compilations.

Even our latest offering.... "The Mothership", which is touted on the Official website as "The Very Best Of Led Zeppelin".... I personally don't see any "Very Best" of Led Zeppelin... without "The Rover"...

"The Rover" is pure Hard Rock, and, for me, sums up the poser of what Led Zeppelin is all about....

outside of WLL and HB abd D&C.....

I hope that the rumored playing of this song at the O2 event will be a rip-roaring success !!!!

I will say this in closing, that the most powerful Led Zeppelin songs, as performed live, are:

WLL

HB

D&C

SIBLY

Kashmir

"The Rover", for me, would be in the next tier of powerful Zeppelin songs, along with:

TSRTS

NFBM

Good Times, Bad Times

Trampled Underfoot

Rock'n'Roll

Black Dog

MMHop

In The Evening

We're Gonna Groove

While I'm not as big a fan of the Rover as you are, I really like the acoustic version on the Antrabata Tapes.

While I'm not as big a fan of the Rover as you are, I really like the acoustic version on the Antrabata Tapes.

The Rover is an Amazing Zeppelin Tune! One of my all time favorites...and really were surprised that they never performed it live (Except for a few bars as was previously mentioned on the '77 tour as an intro to SICK AGAIN "which is also incredible")! Very underated but not the most!

One of the best tracks off the Physicial Graffitti sessions.

The riff that Jimmy gets into on The Rover as it fades out...is one that I would have loved to have been sitting in on in the studio cause I know there is more to that number than we were given in the final cut before it made its way onto Physical Graffitti. Jimmy, if there is a longer un-edited un-faded version of The Rover in the archives of Zeppelin, please put it out on the next gem of a compelation! We'd all enjoy hearing you continue that riff....WHICH JAMS so intensely!!!!!!!

Ahhhhhhh now I got to go put the ROVER on full blast!!!!!!!

Enjoy and keep all those amazing Zeppelin Tunes rocking!

DieHardZepFan from NY (aka Vic)

How about all of Led Zeppelin's acoustic work. That seems to be very underrated and always has been. Led Zeppelin III was one of the weakest sellers. Now look at Mothership not much of Led Zeppelin's acoustic side was presented there either.

Archived