Best Led Zeppelin Tour

cheesehead1204

What do you think is the best overall Zeppelin tour? This is in terms of performances, setlists, and the overall scope of the tour. For me, I'd probably say 1972 because the setlist included 5 of their 6 best albums and Robert's voice was close to its peak.

Probably for me around 1971 or 1972.

This thread probably needs to be moved to the "Live Forum". Doesn't quite fit in here.

TAKE NOTE MODERATORS!

japan 1971

USA 1972

and that week in Germany where bonzo and Page set the stage on fire every night

I'd say all those are pretty much even.

That week in Germany would be around mid to late March in 1973. Such as Hamburg and Offenburg.

japan 1971

USA 1972

and that week in Germany where bonzo and Page set the stage on fire every night

I'd say all those are pretty much even.

Add North America 71 in there and we're in agreement. What an awesome 2yr stretch that was

I've gotta agree with the silvermedalist, 1977.

My thoughts:

Great pleasure in that we had Achilles and Nobody's Fault entered into the setlist.

No offence to weeklong DAC jams of previous tours, but the extended version Of NQ appeals way more to my palate.

Having a brain gag at the moment, is there an acoustic break in '77 that is surpassed from previous tours?

Plant was by far the veteran cocksure frontman who had no equal.

To me ,1977 was the apex, the culmination of the success ,rewards and indulgence of excesses. This was live rock and roll at the summit.

Just a fan's opinion.

My thoughts:

Great pleasure in that we had Achilles and Nobody's Fault entered into the setlist.

No offence to weeklong DAC jams of previous tours, but the extended version Of NQ appeals way more to my palate.

Having a brain gag at the moment, is there an acoustic break in '77 that is surpassed from previous tours?

To me ,1977 was the apex, the culmination of the success ,rewards and indulgence of excesses. This was live rock and roll at the summit.

Just a fan's opinion.

It's an interesting debate but what's really cool to me is that there is enough room for the debate itself . One thing for sure, no matter what tour we enjoyed the most, there was only one live act who could pull off what these guy's did and I'll be eternally gratefull that I had a chance to see them . My collection of Zeppelin boots and such has been collected for one reason only and that is to perserve and share the live Zeppelin experience with as many as possible. One day my teenage grandchildren are going to ask grampa if he ever heard of a band called Led Zeppelin and it's going to put one hell of a big grin on my face :lol: .

1969 tours featured spontanous set lists, cool covers and lots of "seat-of-the-pants" flying. 1971 finds the band in peak form. No doubt that Bonham stepped up to cover for his mate in '73! The '75 sets include some great tunes from Houses and PG. But the '77 shows had the Presence stuff AND an acoustic set! Tough to pick a favorite!

My thoughts:

Just a fan's opinion.

What can I say? I'd be derelict in my duties not to agree with this! The 1977 tour ultimately had EVERYTHING...except precision playing. Not that the fans seemed to care at the time- they didn't have the luxury of thirty plus years overanalysis of audience tapes like we do! (Emphasis on overanalysis!)

So I say, '77, followed by '72, Europe '73 and '71. I must admit I can only take so much of Robert wailing like a goddamn banshee in '69 and croaking his way through '75...

IMO Europe '80 comes dead last. Despite the good intentions, that's one tour that shouldn't have happened. Or at least not with that gawdawful setlist.

• 3 weeks later...

I cannot tell about all tours coz I was young and there is little demo stuff of early days like the great howling BBC sessions...

This is not an easy question also because during later tours they could play stuff they hadnot had before.

So I think the US 77 one is still the best .Long instrumentals and an acoustic set that I missed very much at Knebworth or the 80 tour.

They played "Achilles" the fav. of me and plenty of others.

There were also Good and Bad Times during the 77 tour but the Badgeholders Concerts showed power and

perfection I could not find lateron.-Unfortunally!!I still cannot find anything like that even till today.

• 4 weeks later...

I've gotta go with 1971: everything...the US tour, the Japanese tour and the UK tour...they just seemed intent on kicking ass and taking names that year.

No mucking about and worrying about smoke machines and mirrors and lasers...they just strode on stage and unleashed the supreme 1-2 punch that was Immigrant Song and Heartbreaker and kept petal-to-metal for 2 and 1/2 hours every night. Everybody was in top form...Plant's voice, Jimmy's guitar shredding, Jonesey's groovy bass(his bass lines on Celebration Day during 1971 are EPIC), and Bonzo bringing the thunder on his green sparkle kit.

Close behind the 1971 tour are the 1970 and 1972 US tours.

Now don't get me wrong...I loved the tours that I saw them on(1972 thru 1977), especially 1972 and 1973. But whereas you can definitely find off nights by the band on the later tours, I have yet to find a 1971 show that was not earth-shattering.

1971, even though we don't really have that much from that year. The shows we have are really solid even some of the audiences. But also the band was probably at their peak. From about mid 72 till 77 Robert's voice struggled or Page and Bonham were drunk and a bit off. 72-75 had a lot of great moments though. 77 had it's nights. 79 was solid. 80 was bad. 1969 and 1970 were excellent.

To some degree I can see merits and "demerits" to all tours, but '75 is it for me. Personally, the only advantage '77 has is Achilles, Nobody's Fault, and Ten Years Gone. Those are definite advantages, but I find '75-era NQ, TSRTS, RS, Kashmir and OTHAFA to be superior to other tours, and of course Dazed is gone after '75. If SIBLY was a more regular component of the '75 show, it would be perfect, IMHO.

I'd go with '73 as a close second.

Archived