R.I.P. Captain Beefheart a.k.a. Don Van Vliet

MadScreamingGallery

Just saw this ! Damn, another legend gone...RIP

Don't know if you knew this already but Beefheart had cited as his influences (in addition to Dylan, Bo Diddley, etc.) the likes of Robert Johnson, Son House, Howlin' Wolf, John Lee Hooker, etc. You can hear the influences of those blues legends in this song.

http://www.beefheart.com/

Definitely worth a look

Thanks. Just have so many memories of him...my friends and I loved him...at one show he was playing the sax, stomping around stage in a floor-length cassock, looking like a crazed, demented monk. ;) Pulling out the old vinyl in his honor today while I'm baking my Christmas baklava. :)

Only 2 replies.....

Jeez!

Well, anyway:

Rest in peace Captain Beefheart, and send regards to Frank Zappa.

not someone most people would be familiar with.....i'm mainly familiar with him cuz i was a big zappa fan

for those who don't know, maybe check out "willie the pimp"........great guitar tune by zappa with beefheart on vocals

I have an older brother who's responsible for turning me onto the likes of Zappa, Wild Man Fischer and Beefheart. I'm not a big fan of a lot of it but I feel thankful to have been exposed to the avant garde side of rock n' roll early on. It opened my eyes and ears to a lot of things I'll forever be thankful for.

Thanks. Just have so many memories of him...my friends and I loved him...at one show he was playing the sax, stomping around stage in a floor-length cassock, looking like a crazed, demented monk. ;) Pulling out the old vinyl in his honor today while I'm baking my Christmas baklava. :)

That's one of my favourites, and an early single by Beefheart.. Sure love his music. Safe As Milk is a great psych/blues record! Funny guy, that man Don... RIP.

I was on vacation so haven't been able to contribute till now--anyway, thanks to John Peel I got into Beefheart early and often, and Safe as Milk is still one of my favorite albums ever. (Possibly because it's also his bluesiest, IMO.). Though I have to say that Trout Mask Replica is just amazing. Such a shame he left music to follow his (other) artistic pursuits, but I guess he felt he'd said all he had to say. R.I.P., indeed. :(

• 6 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived