Why is Jimi always ranked first in every poll?

missytootsweet

Have to say my fave EV Halen moment is the solo to Michael jackson's "Beat it" I think that solo contains evrything that was great about him, its prfect to the song, Before Hendrix the electric guitar was a bit tame, he came along and blew people away, have to say I like "Vodoo Child".

I understand you getting tired of Eddie, its a shame when people are copied so much , that happens, its like hearing Smoke on the Water, its maligned now, but the solo is perfect for it, Stairway, i can't bear to listen too, but if I hear iton the radio, i am always gobsmacked at how good it is, its just you get tired of it being played all the time etc.

Anyway Missy your choice of hendrix in Hey Joe was never a fave of min, but it takes all sorts. Have to say I am not the greatest Hendrix fan but appreciate evrythinghe did and he looked one cool mother, For me Hendrix at "Woodstock" and playing "Star Spangled Banner" is definative in popular music, its iconic, its free form almost un musical at times with those tortured bends, squeels etc, yet to me it sound so wonderful, It like free form jazz but better.

P.S Ally Vancouver is one of my fave places I have been to, love the whole of the NW Pacific area from Seattle up to you etc

"

"

EDV finest moment, although his intros to HFT and MS are also great.

"http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNYySyEDr-8"

One of the best intros ever eh ?? amazing really as he is in and out of tune,no sort of structure, its just a vamp on E, everything opposite to classical music yet this is wicked stuff.

Please go to the Purple/rainbow/Blackmore thread in other music to see Ritchie Blackmore and an epic solo.

During the Cream years but I'm just going by past interviews that I've read. Something to the effect that it was Clapton more than Hendrix, Page and Beck .

Yes, Eddie always said his favorite players were Eric Clapton and Allan Holdsworth. He said Page was sloppy; that he saw Jimmy play live and thought that he sounded like a “two-year old with a broken hand.” Hendrix's guitar was often out of tune, according to EVH, because of his heavy use of the whammy bar.

BTW, Clapton has been cool-ish about the flash style that EVH and his followers exemplify, saying it's more about acrobatics than music.

EVH can be really exciting to listen to, especially the early stuff, but he's not melodic IMO. He's not the composer that Pagey is, so his stuff is not as memorable and muscially substantial. David Gilmour's solos are also brilliantly composed.

Yes, Eddie always said his favorite players were Eric Clapton and Allan Holdsworth. He said Page was sloppy; that he saw Jimmy play live and thought that he sounded like a "two-year old with a broken hand." Hendrix's guitar was often out of tune, according to EVH, because of his heavy use of the whammy bar.

BTW, Clapton has been cool-ish about the flash style that EVH and his followers exemplify, saying it's more about acrobatics than music.

EVH can be really exciting to listen to, especially the early stuff, but he's not melodic IMO. He's not the composer that Pagey is, so his stuff is not as memorable and muscially substantial. David Gilmour's solos are also brilliantly composed.

I like Eddie but one of him is enough . IMHO, I think too many of his contemporaries copied too much of his style, something that would never have happened in the old day's where most of the greats had their own distinct sound and style. Maybe it's just my ear but listen to Hendrix, Page, Beck, Clapton, Allman, Gallagher, Gilmore to name just a few and although you'll hear similar musical influences, you'd never be confused as to who the guitar player was.

P.S Ally Vancouver is one of my fave places I have been to, love the whole of the NW Pacific area from Seattle up to you etc

Yeah, it's not called God's Country for nothing. Anytime your back in the area, let me know

I'd never put Jimi above Jimmy. I just think Page had so much more to offer stylisticly.

Maybe Hendrix inspired more people to try to an cop him, but nobody has influenced more rock guitarists over a broad spectrum of styles than Jimmy Page, imo.

What about Gilmour? Now that's some freakin touch, eh? Unquestionably, the greatest guitar sound ever.

Maybe Hendrix inspired more people to try to an cop him, but nobody has influenced more rock guitarists over a broad spectrum of styles than Jimmy Page, imo.

IMO,Jimmy's legacy is unmatched . Can't think of anyone else who covered so much ground. As you say though, Hendrix must be given credit for breaking ground and inspiring so many ( of a certain generation ) to take up the guitar in the first place.

It's an interesting discusion and one that no doubt could be debated forever. Having said that, with all the great players out there today, why is it that nobody seems to be breaking new ground ? Maybe there just isn't anything that hasn't already been done. Maybe it's just me :mellow::D

I'd never put Jimi above Jimmy. I just think Page had so much more to offer stylisticly.

What about Gilmour? Now that's some freakin touch, eh? Unquestionably, the greatest guitar sound ever.

DewieCox,

I like what you say. Because you are so right that David Gilmour is great.

I'm going to change my list of favorite guitarists to who I like, not who the professionals pick as being the great innovators. It's hard to be unbiased when you are not a musician. Here are the best guitarists in order for my listening pleasure.

1. Jimmy Page

2. Steve Howe

3. Daivd Gilmour

4. Pat Metheny (yes, Pat Metheny)

5. Neil Young

So what do think?....................missy

Here's my fav of example of David Gilmour's special way with music......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xya_a58L3ag&feature=related

leddy and ally ...are you there? I've decided to change my list and bump Jimi Hendrix. I'm sorry I just have to go with my personal favorites, who as you can see aren't all traditional picks. Also it's no mistake I skipped over Eric Clapton. I'm still annoyed that he felt he was just too damn cool to keep playing with the Yardbirds. A legend in his own mind as Carly Simon would say in her song....missy

Yeah, it's not called God's Country for nothing. Anytime your back in the area, let me know

Hey thank you :)

DewieCox,

I like what you say. Because you are so right that David Gilmour is great.

I'm going to change my list of favorite guitarists to who I like, not who the professionals pick as being the great innovators. It's hard to be unbiased when you are not a musician. Here are the best guitarists in order for my listening pleasure.

1. Jimmy Page

2. Steve Howe

3. Daivd Gilmour

4. Pat Metheny (yes, Pat Metheny)

5. Neil Young

So what do think?....................missy

Here's my fav of example of David Gilmour's special way with music......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xya_a58L3ag&feature=related

leddy and ally ...are you there? I've decided to change my list and bump Jimi Hendrix. I'm sorry I just have to go with my personal favorites, who as you can see aren't all traditional picks. Also it's no mistake I skipped over Eric Clapton. I'm still annoyed that he felt he was just too damn cool to keep playing with the Yardbirds. A legend in his own mind as Carly Simon would say in her song....missy

Hey love the top 4 of ya list, I play guitar and I wouldn't put Hendrix at the top if we are going by faves, but you asked the question why is he voted number one and I tried to explain why, showing the merits, at the end of the day its whatever floats your boat. Great Thing about Gilmour is that he can play just one note and you know its him, his musicality comes through like no other, gee there are so many great guitarists.

Laughing out loud (at myself)! Yes, I need to stop checking this thread before I start drifting off topic again into other things like favorite bassists where I will feel compelled to ask you what you think of Jaco Pastorius and Chris Squire.......:D......missy

P.S. I'm having one of those days. I'm looking at old LP liners notes for another thread. Well, no one said this site would be boring!...... your friend missy

Laughing out loud (at myself)! Yes, I need to stop checking this thread before I start drifting off topic again into other things like favorite bassists where I will feel compelled to ask you what you think of Jaco Pastorius and Chris Squire.......:D......missy

P.S. I'm having one of those days. I'm looking at old LP liners notes for another thread. Well, no one said this site would be boring!...... your friend missy

Chris Squire is the bass player I usually choose for my fantasy band whenever there is a pole, so there is your answer :). I love all the guys that have passed through Yes, Squire,Howe.Wakeman and Rabin are all in my top list.

Have you guys heard the demos of the band Jimmy & Chris Squire started after Bonham's death?

Chris is a brilliant musician. I got to see Yes (in their latest incarnation, sadly without Jon Anderson) about 2 years ago and was lucky enough to be seated in front of His Royal Bassness.

I got to see Yes (in their latest incarnation, sadly without Jon Anderson) about 2 years ago and was lucky enough to be seated in front of His Royal Bassness.

His Royal Bassness. Oh my gosh, that is so funny but so true!! I can't fathom the band without Jon Anderson. It's just like I can't fathom Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant.

These guys have a vocal style so distinctive....sigh well you know I'm sure.

Anyhow, yes I never realized until I saw and listened to clips of Yes how utterly powerful yet still melodic Chris Squire is on bass.

He does with the bass what Jimmy does with his guitar..."whisper into the thunder". There I kept it on topic, :) missy.

Have you guys heard the demos of the band Jimmy & Chris Squire started after Bonham's death?

Chris is a brilliant musician. I got to see Yes (in their latest incarnation, sadly without Jon Anderson) about 2 years ago and was lucky enough to be seated in front of His Royal Bassness.

XYZ, Yes (excuse me) I have, one of the demos went on to be a song called "Mind Drive" on a Yes album called "keys to ascension" Yeh his bass solo spot is great.

His Royal Bassness. Oh my gosh, that is so funny but so true!! I can't fathom the band without Jon Anderson. It's just like I can't fathom Led Zeppelin without Robert Plant.

These guys have a vocal style so distinctive....sigh well you know I'm sure.

Anyhow, yes I never realized until I saw and listened to clips of Yes how utterly powerful yet still melodic Chris Squire is on bass.

He does with the bass what Jimmy does with his guitar..."whisper into the thunder". There I kept it on topic, :) missy.

Gee I am a big fan of "DRAMA" the album with Trever Horn and not Jon, as I play I listen to the music and move past the vocals to the instrumental bits lol and "DRAMA" and this song Tempis Fugit is one of their best, its just so cool, Howe and Squire are on form, funky/rocky and gives me goosebumps, this is the dogs dangly bits :). Got to say some of (well ll of it) Howes stuff is a bugger to play....great guitar player. They were all musicians musicians...top of the tree.

Give it a listen

"

"

"Drama" is outstanding, even Jon Anderson says so :) I had such a crush on Geoff Downes back in the day.

The fellow that Yes has singing for them now, Benoit, is from a tribute band - he sounds remarkably like Jon but of course it's not the same.

"Drama" is outstanding, even Jon Anderson says so :) I had such a crush on Geoff Downes back in the day.

The fellow that Yes has singing for them now, Benoit, is from a tribute band - he sounds remarkably like Jon but of course it's not the same.

Well its a shame that Jon wouldn't ever sing anything from it then, bit of a beef with me that, just getting snippits from it when Chris does his bass spot. <_<

Yeh I heard they are a tribute act now :)

• 2 weeks later...

Being a guitar god myselve I was knocked out by speed.This has changed.Up to a certain point it is not sensefull to try to get faster like boring youtube stuff.....

Jimmy Page said you got to put your personality into your playing.He is right.Hendrix was a big performer not a poser but the opposite to Clapton f.e onstage.

The late 60th were a so called time of change.

So in the end it is -all together -a big myth Hendrix becomming and remaining the best of all times.

I don´t wanne talk mean about this great player but think about reasons for the votings.

Also Page is a bandman while Hendrix was the only frontman of his band.

Another thing is that this votings are often manipulated,Have a guess how often I was voted being the best one ?

There is alot of money involved in the music scene. There won´t be an argue between the recordcompanies if the

winner is always a legend and dead guy who is no danger for the own product anymore.

Howe was often voted for being the best one .I think Rolling stones mag.77.

His performance I saw 5 months ago was a sad one. Wonder how we gonna play if we reach his age.

In what way though ??

Hendrix was a pioneer though. he used the Wah Wah Pedal like it was just a guitar pick especially in the intro to Voodoo Chile not just that, Hendrix was a huge influence on the development of improvisation do the fact that his playing was through him. Everything he played was his style and his art. He influenced musicians not to imitate others but to create something that was personal and their own. These are the ideals of great musicians such as vai and satriani who always aspire to be unigue and different., Pagey did great things with the guitar but didn't start anything with the Guitar, although you could say he influenced Tapping.

Although I can't really compare them fairly, when if i was asked the question randomnly I'd be extremely bias because I love Page but when I catergorise them both as guitarist and compare them I think Hendrix is just that step higher although each has their own atrributes that make them guitar greats.

Archived