What's the real deal on Earl's Court?

missytootsweet

The Garden Tapes is our friend:

·GTC is from the 25th, with a cut and some patching from the 23rd;

·TTW is from the 25th;

·BYAS is from the 25th, with some 23rd patching;

·IMTOD is from the 24th;

·TUF is from the 25th, with patching from the 23rd and 24th;

·STH is from the 25th, with some patching from the 24th (and maybe the 23rd).

The "Earls Court" menu option features BYAS from the 24th, and WLL from the 25th is found in the second disc's "Audio Options."

• 5 months later...

It depends for me. I find that In My Time of Dying performance...which is from the 24th...to be perhaps the best or at least my favorite performance ever by Led Zeppelin that I've seen.

But on youtube I recently discovered the 25th version of Kashmir, and like someone mentioned above, it seems much more...on than the 24th version. The 24th version is very Imperial, and druggy, and Magickal...but a little off-beat...Page seems a little too fucked up for it.

But all the 1975 Kashmirs seem very dark and trance-like and druggie and Magickal. Then you get to the Knebworth version and I would say it's much more...explosive and Godlike. It has a fresh sound to it. Then the 02 version is like a Cosmic Shambhala futuristic version of Kashmir.

All 5 days are filmed professionaly.

I have the whole show from the 24th and an hour and a half from the 25th. If anyone has footage from 3 other days,I would be very interested.

Fred

The 25th is available in its entirety. released by EVSD some time ago. Would also love to have the video from the other nights. All 5 shows are great and deserve a place in every fans collection.

The 25th is available in its entirety. released by EVSD some time ago. Would also love to have the video from the other nights. All 5 shows are great and deserve a place in every fans collection.

Well, almost complete anyway...the time between Tangerine and Going to California isn't on any circulating video.

is the 25th version worth the buy? I think a need a copy, but I want to order the right one. Whatever one is on amazon has highly mixed reviews.

It's a fantastic show. The EVSD version "Demand Unprecedented in the History of Rock Music" is the way to go. But why buy it when you can download it for free on the internet?

Because I still have Bose 5.1 Surround Sound. The headphones on the internet is fucking great in its own right. But there's nothing more classic to me than the Surround Sound. When I first got the Zep DVD in 2003 and put it through the Bose, it was purely revolutionary in my life. 11 years and 1500+ watches later, plus Celebration Day, it's still fantastic to me. And then I read in Light and Shade that that is precisely what Page was aiming at with the release of that DVD (2003)...the Surround Sound. Granted that was 11 years ago...it's kinda throwback now but is my equivalent to my dad's Zep vinyl.

Because I still have Bose 5.1 Surround Sound. The headphones on the internet is fucking great in its own right. But there's nothing more classic to me than the Surround Sound. When I first got the Zep DVD in 2003 and put it through the Bose, it was purely revolutionary in my life. 11 years and 1500+ watches later, plus Celebration Day, it's still fantastic to me. And then I read in Light and Shade that that is precisely what Page was aiming at with the release of that DVD (2003)...the Surround Sound. Granted that was 11 years ago...it's kinda throwback now but is my equivalent to my dad's Zep vinyl.

I don't think you can get surround sound from the 25th sbd audio.

You've played DVD 1500+ times !!!!. I got mine the day it was released, in fact I was queuing at the door of ???? before they opened to get mine (and HTWWW) you must have played yours 1490+ more than i have played my copy.

I would say at least 1000 FOR SURE in the span of 11 years. 1500 may be a little too high. I like to study...and to see the changes of perception and perspective over the years of my life, after different life experiences, drug experiences, etc..and kind of reminisce how 11 years has changed a lot, but still this DVD is the same in its way that it effects me. Sort of like how after 11 years of Zep's career, a lot had changed, but a lot was the exact same. Don't watch it too often nowadays. Celebration Day is a good modern one to get really into. And I'm only just now starting to get into the bootleg stuff. Wow, that's a whole adventurous universe to dive into.

• 3 weeks later...

Let me say for the record, that the missing kick drum could be fixed with todays technology. I mean, I could fix that.

How would you do it? Isolate the the existing kick drum from an audience recording and insert into the soundboard where necessary?

How would you do it? Isolate the the existing kick drum from an audience recording and insert into the soundboard where necessary?

Easier than that....

Some of the nights (3 I think) were multitracked don't forget (otherwise Jimmy would never have been able to mix & fix the songs he did for DVD - absolutely NO WAY he'd use a stereo soundboard recording)

If you wanted to 'recreate' the kick drum part for a particular night you would be able to place the kick drum from spill on the overhead mic's (I mean you could hear what he was playing and when). Then you'd pick one of the other nights, sample a few versions of the kick drum from that recording. Then you'd just need to spend the next three weeks placing & lining up the sampled kick drum hits to match with what you can hear in the overhead mic's. Job done.

Certainly it would be without the nuance that Bonham was able to play that kick drum, but depending on the time & effort you put in you could probably do a decent job of it.

Easier than that....

Some of the nights (3 I think) were multitracked don't forget (otherwise Jimmy would never have been able to mix & fix the songs he did for DVD - absolutely NO WAY he'd use a stereo soundboard recording)

If you wanted to 'recreate' the kick drum part for a particular night you would be able to place the kick drum from spill on the overhead mic's (I mean you could hear what he was playing and when). Then you'd pick one of the other nights, sample a few versions of the kick drum from that recording. Then you'd just need to spend the next three weeks placing & lining up the sampled kick drum hits to match with what you can hear in the overhead mic's. Job done.

Certainly it would be without the nuance that Bonham was able to play that kick drum, but depending on the time & effort you put in you could probably do a decent job of it.

Not for someone like Bluecongo who doesn't have the multitracks.... or does he? ;)

This is exactly how you would do it. I wish I had the multi tracks!

Easier than that....

I have been enjoying many of the performances from the Earl Court's shows on You Tube. Using the "search" feature here I checked to see about a dvd release. But there is no official one.

Why is that? I got the the 2003 dvd set and I love it. But let's be honest, it's really a retrospective and not a complete concert of anything in the their prime (excluding Royal Albert Hall). TSRTS is not like a true complete concert experience either because of all the dream sequences.

It seems all the material is out there. I think I read recently in a Led Zep bio that the band even authorized the pro filming of these gigs for their own personal collection or whatever. Can anyone confirm that?

If they would release one complete official Earl's show then I'll bet it would sell like hotcakes. I would love to see a show from beginning to end AND that includes any blemishes, mis-steps or missed notes, etc. So what's the real deal? Does anyone know or please offer an opinion?

I hope it's not due to any band member only willing to release "perfect" performances. That's just not realistic. As a fan, (probably like most others) whatever they do is going to be close enough to perfect for me........missy

Also, what is a soundboard and what is it's significance at concerts? (I saw these terms and didn't understand) thanks for your answers!......missy

I have a DVD of earls court.got it on Amazon I think,not the best but not bad

I have a DVD of earls court.got it on Amazon I think,not the best but not bad

You can get all this stuff online for free if you know where to look. If you want more info shoot me a pm unless you feel putting money into the pockets of the bootleggers and people who are selling what they downloaded for free is the way to go then be my guest.

Archived