What's the real deal on Earl's Court?

missytootsweet

You can get all this stuff online for free if you know where to look. If you want more info shoot me a pm unless you feel putting money into the pockets of the bootleggers and people who are selling what they downloaded for free is the way to go then be my guest.

Sometimes, you "have to" line the bootleggers' pockets, in order to liberate it for other people. ;)

Frankly, I buy some product to have a physical back-up.

Sometimes, you "have to" line the bootleggers' pockets, in order to liberate it for other people. ;)

Frankly, I buy some product to have a physical back-up.

Yes I collect silvers also but when its for free there is no need to buy an inferior rip from some guy who got his copy off the net for free.

You can get all this stuff online for free if you know where to look. If you want more info shoot me a pm unless you feel putting money into the pockets of the bootleggers and people who are selling what they downloaded for free is the way to go then be my guest.

I made a earls Court one myself,woulkd like copies of a few others if anyone has ones I dont have

In June 2014 The National will play the last ever concert at Earls Court, seems years since '75 and a great memorable evening, ironic my youngest is attending that gigg, new housing and some shops going there, EC isn't used much now, O2 takes more entertainment

I'm curious to know if anyone went to the 2007 O2 show that also attended one of the 1975 Earls Court concerts? Both venues are criticized for their poor acoustics but I would like to hear from someone who saw them in both venues, which one was worse, sound-wise?

You can include The Alexandra Palace 1972 shows in there Strider too. I've always wondered why the band never sound checked AP and EC. Apparently you could only hear the band properly at Ally Pally if you were in the first few rows.

You can include The Alexandra Palace 1972 shows in there Strider too. I've always wondered why the band never sound checked AP and EC. Apparently you could only hear the band properly at Ally Pally if you were in the first few rows.

Ha, that was my first boot, Ally Pally December 72'. It was so bad I would not consider purchasing another boot for almost 25 years. Man, the quality of that boot was horrendous!

No sound check at Earls Court? I find that hard to believe. They were recording these shows!

Yes, my December '72 boots "Riot House" and "Disturbance House" sound like the Ally Pally was pretty horrible...boomy and echoey. Can we also throw in the Empire Pool at Wembley as another London venue that sucked acoustically?

AFAIA, they rarely performed proper soundchecks. I believe their soundchecks usually amounted to the techs going on stage and testing out the instruments.

This seems to a matter of some contention and my request to Dave Lewis, Sam Rapello, Luis Rey, or anyone who writes the next book on Led Zeppelin is to get to the bottom of the soundcheck question.

Personally I find it hard to believe they wouldn't soundcheck. Jimmy Page doesn't strike me as someone who would leave the matter of sound quality and control up to chance like that. Nor John Bonham.

I know some people have claimed Led Zeppelin didn't do soundchecks but Danny Goldberg says in his book that the band, and John Bonham in particular, were keen on getting the sound just right for their shows. Perhaps on multi-date stands in one venue they might only soundcheck the first show and once they got the levels set, it was left up to the road crew the other nights to check.

Since we have photos and tape of the band soundchecking, it's obvious that they did do soundchecks at some shows. But it is a subject that has yet to be thoroughly investigated in any discussion of Led Zeppelin's concert history.

Go to any show today and if you get there early enough, you will usually hear the band soundchecking around 3 or 4pm. Most Led Zep books and even their own movie TSRTS gives fans the impression that they just flew into town right before a concert and took limos from the airport to the arena. Which is an exaggeration, I think.

It's surprising in all these years nobody has ever asked Jimmy, Robert or JPJ about their soundcheck schedule. Richard Cole is another person who would have that information...if his memory is reliable at this point.

I may have been a bit misleading here. What I meant was why didn't the band do a bit of homework as to what the acoustics were like at any particular venue - especially ones where rock music was not the norm. The band played at The Albert Hall where the acoustics are magnificent, in theory they could have returned there in 1972 - played a few dates. You see the UK in the 70's had a dearth of high capacity venues and I understand that to get more people to see the band they played venues where music was maybe not the usual. But hey I was lucky as I went to most of my gigs at Manchester's Free Trade Hall - a venue which was the home to The Halle Orchestra, and you couldn't get better acoustics than that!

It's surprising in all these years nobody has ever asked Jimmy, Robert or JPJ about their soundcheck schedule. Richard Cole is another person who would have that information...if his memory is reliable at this point.

That is a very good question , they always seemed to do battle with the venues acoustics, I think JPJ mentioned it.

Strider, there is a litany of support for the notion that the band rarely soundchecked. I mean...if you don't trust the word of the people involved, I don't know what to say.

Why do you think I said it was a matter of contention? Just as there are people who say they didn't, there are those who say they did, and both groups include people connected with the band so it's impossible to know which side has more validity.

However, we have photos of the band doing a soundcheck from Minneapolis, 1975. I think I have also seen soundcheck photos from 1971 Japan and either 1971 or 1972 LA Forum.

Then there's the tape that was released as "Tribute to Johnny Kidd & the Pirates", where the band runs through a bunch of oldies and "Night Flight", "Rover" and "Wanton Song" during a 1973 soundcheck.

I want to hear it from Jimmy, Robert or Jones themselves before I believe that they didn't do regular soundchecks.

Not that this really applies to this discussion, but when I met Jimmy and Robert, they were literally walking off stage from having done a sound check, and Jimmy was not happy about the way things went. This was in 1998, the day before the concert. Jimmy did not come across as a person who did not care; maybe things were different in the Zep days.

Not that this really applies to this discussion, but when I met Jimmy and Robert, they were literally walking off stage from having done a sound check, and Jimmy was not happy about the way things went. This was in 1998, the day before the concert. Jimmy did not come across as a person who did not care; maybe things were different in the Zep days.

Exactly my line of thinking, too. Given the hands-on quality control Jimmy Page exerted on Led Zeppelin, it doesn't follow that he would not be involved in something as important as the sound of Led Zeppelin's concerts and let underlings handle without his supervision. Maybe in 1977 when the Zeppelin camp was in drugged-out disarray, but I can't believe during the period from 1968-1975 that they would leave it to chance.

And there is no way anyone is going to convince me that Led Zeppelin didn't soundcheck Knebworth. A gig of that stature and importance and you're going to try and tell me the band didn't soundcheck? No fucking way!

And there is no way anyone is going to convince me that Led Zeppelin didn't soundcheck Knebworth. A gig of that stature and importance and you're going to try and tell me the band didn't soundcheck? No fucking way!

They did do a soundcheck on Thursday, August 2, but I don't believe any after that, leading up to showtime on the 4th. I do wonder if they did a soundcheck prior to the show on the 11th.

• 1 year later...

I have been enjoying many of the performances from the Earl Court's shows on You Tube. Using the "search" feature here I checked to see about a dvd release. But there is no official one.

Why is that? I got the the 2003 dvd set and I love it. But let's be honest, it's really a retrospective and not a complete concert of anything in the their prime (excluding Royal Albert Hall). TSRTS is not like a true complete concert experience either because of all the dream sequences.

It seems all the material is out there. I think I read recently in a Led Zep bio that the band even authorized the pro filming of these gigs for their own personal collection or whatever. Can anyone confirm that?

If they would release one complete official Earl's show then I'll bet it would sell like hotcakes. I would love to see a show from beginning to end AND that includes any blemishes, mis-steps or missed notes, etc. So what's the real deal? Does anyone know or please offer an opinion?

I hope it's not due to any band member only willing to release "perfect" performances. That's just not realistic. As a fan, (probably like most others) whatever they do is going to be close enough to perfect for me........missy

Also, what is a soundboard and what is it's significance at concerts? (I saw these terms and didn't understand) thanks for your answers!......missy

the record company wanted jimmy to release the whole e.court and the whole knebworth but page did a retospect of clips,now these clips of e.court and knebworth that we see are a mixture of each night so you may watch a song say stairway you get clips of over the hills and far away and many other songs so he couldnt release these as seperate gigs due to pages jiggery pokery like he did on the song remains the same dvd,people are sitting on a digital copies i.e HD and untill one break ranks we wont get them also why do you think the bootlegers called the first weekend at knebworth Secrets Revealed? its cos you would see where page has chopped it here and there to make the clips for the 2003 DVD

Archived