Led Zeppelin Music In The Movies

"The Fighter" has a scene with the entire Good Times Bad Times song played over the action of the movie. I saw a trailer for an action flick with When The Leeve Breaks included.

Seems that Zeppelins music has been purposely absent from film soundtracks forever. It works in the stuff I saw but surprising.

How do you think there has been a change of heart- on releasing rights? I'm sure many film makers have been turned down in the past.

"The Fighter" has a scene with the entire Good Times Bad Times song played over the action of the movie. I saw a trailer for an action flick with When The Leeve Breaks included. Seems that Zeppelins music has been purposely absent from film soundtracks forever. It works in the stuff I saw but surprising. How do you think there has been a change of heart on releasing rights? I'm sure many film makers have been turned down in the past.

The relative absence of Led Zeppelin's music from film soundtracks was deliberate. One early exception was the brief inclusion of Kashmir in the 1981 comedy Fast Times At Ridgemont High. The film's connection to journalist Cameron Crowe, who always enjoyed good rapport with the band, undoubtedly helped. The director of Dazed And Confused (1993), Richard Linklater, was crushed when they refused to grant him permission to use a track in his film despite Jimmy & Robert enjoying a private screening. It seems to me Jack Black's successful plea for inclusion of Led Zeppelin music in 'School of Rock' was a real turning point for them in this regard.

It was actually Cadillac. BREAK THROUGH!

Yes, which only came about after Cadillac could not permission to use The Doors 'Break On Through' (fact!). Oh well, at least Cadillac has a loose connection to rock n roll...Cadillac, No Money Down...The Firm's 'Cadillac'...etc.

I seem to remember Nick Mason being asked weather it was true that Dark Side Of the Moon would start Playing in sync with Wizard of Oz at third MGM lion roar. He replied- Absoule rubbish. We used Gone With The Wind.

I've read something similar but it was David Gilmour and he said "The Sound of Music":

“It’s absolute nonsense, it has nothing to do with The Wizard of Oz. It was all based on The Sound Of Music.”

• 9 months later...

Communication Breakdown almost in it's entirey was used in 1998's Small Soldiers.

It was the soundtrack for the Barbie Dolls scene!

It was not included on the CD release.

just saw this movie for the first time today, watched with my 11 year old.

it was a bit strange the way they had 14 year olds ( or about ) saying that led zep was their favourite band, and having led zep posters on the walls. my guess is someone ( the director or writer ? ) put that in because they like the band. it was cool though!

Very hard to think of a film where the song used will not detract from what is going on the screen.

I would be that's a Led Zeppelin song, cannot recall the plot. Hero saved the world/princess ,,,

However Kashmir is very cinematic, bet more than a few requests turn up for that one.

• 10 months later...

The relative absence of Led Zeppelin's music from film soundtracks was deliberate. One early exception was the brief inclusion of Kashmir in the 1981 comedy Fast Times At Ridgemont High. The film's connection to journalist Cameron Crowe, who always enjoyed good rapport with the band, undoubtedly helped. The director of Dazed And Confused (1993), Richard Linklater, was crushed when they refused to grant him permission to use a track in his film despite Jimmy & Robert enjoying a private screening. It seems to me Jack Black's successful plea for inclusion of Led Zeppelin music in 'School of Rock' was a real turning point for them in this regard.

I think I remember Cameron Crowe saying that they wanted a song from "side two of Led Zeppelin 4" but the record label would not allow that. So they offered songs from Phyisical Graffiti instead to help boost sales. I may be wrong about this, but I might have heard it in the director's commentary on the Fast Times DVD.

• 1 month later...

Archived