Songs that remind you of other songs

betteremily

• 3 months later...

I see a law siute here if they wanted.

It would be unsucessful. It's the same chord progression, but it's played a little different. It's prolly been in dozens of other famous tunes. Stuff has to be pretty identical for a lawsuit to go through.

When I first heard this acoustic track, it sounded a little (not alot) like "Easy Does It" from the Coverdale-Page album. A friend said he thought it sounded like "Four Sticks", but I think it sound 'a little' like "Easy Does It".

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Tom Petty nicked the riff for "Mary Jane's Last Dance" from the opening of the Jayhawk's "Waiting For the Sun". He also appropriated his "rebel without a clue" line in "Into the Great Wide Open" from the Replacements' "I'll Be You". Not really that hard to figure out as both bands opened for him prior to either of those Petty records being released. There was also a line he lifted from John Prine (also an opening act) around this same time period but I can't think of it right now. When asked about it, Prine referenced the famous quote, "good artists borrow, great artists steal". In other words, he didn't seem to mind. Apparently neither did the Jayhawks or the Replacements even though the Replacements didn't exactly have the time of their lives on that tour (which can be heard on the infamous Shit Shower and Shave boot, recorded during their opening stint for Petty back in '89). Years later, when asked about Petty stealing the "rebel without a clue line" Paul Westerberg said, "I'd steal something back from him, if I could find something I liked".

• 3 weeks later...

Archived