BlackDog71

Favorite Album Opener  

167 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favorite album opener

• Good Times Bad Times (Zep I)
    • Whole Lotta Love (Zep II)
    • Immigrant Song (Zep III)
    • Black Dog (IV)
    • The Song Remains The Same (Houses of the Holy)
    • Custard Pie (Physical Graffiti)
    • Achilles Last Stand (Presence)
    • In The Evening (In Through The Out Door)
    • We're Gonna Groove (Coda)

What's everyone's favorite album opener and why? Maybe it's because of these songs is your personal favorite from the band or you just like the way it ties in with the rest of the album. Or maybe you just like one of these the most.

For me, I chose "Black Dog" because I love the tone it sets for the rest of IV. It may not be my favorite of the nine songs in the poll, but I always hear it and know that the rest of the album to follow is going to be amazing. I just love this song, but I love it even more as an album opener.

Please share with me your pick and reason(s). :thumbsup:

Edited by BlackDog71

I think there's a difference between which of these songs is one's favorite and which is the best opener. For me Whole Lotta Love is my favorite song of the bunch, but I think Black Dog is the best opener because of the way it hits you over the head and really sets the tone for the album. Good Times Bad Times is a close second as it has a very similar effect.

Well blackdog71,

It has to be Black Dog for me.

That cool whine at the start,-- like a locomotive coming to a slow halt......

followed by Robert wailing.......

"Hey hey mama said the way you move,

Gonna' make you sweat, gonna' make you groove".......

Then Jimmy, JPJ and John B rip into that pulsating groove that just grabs me....

Yep, that's it.

Classic, classic, classic Zep. B).........missy

Edited by missytootsweet

It would have to be The Song Remains the Same for me. It just has so much energy, and is so different from anything else on HOTH, and I love how the Rain Song follows it.

I couldn't agree more with this. It may not be my favorite opening song but it does fit HOTH as the opener.

GTBT for me. Perfect intro to Zep 1 which must have blown EVERYONE away when first listened to 40 years ago, because the first 5 seconds are still so powerful now!

Also, they couldn't have picked a better opener for the 02 gig.

Good Times Bad Times. It was the first LZ tune I ever heard. They weren't on the radio where I lived at all and a school buddy of mine told me they were "heavy". So I bought LZ I and that was.........the very first tune.

It remains a personal favorite to this day.

"Good Times Bad Times"

This is a perfect opener! Though not my favorite but this song is just something special. I do believe that it blew everyone's mind back in 1969 by how powerful it was, and yes, it still is. :) My other favourite openers are "Whole Lotta Love", "Black Dog" and "In The Evening". "In The Evening" is an amazing opener.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

"Good Times Bad Times"

This is a perfect opener! Though not my favorite but this song is just something special. I do believe that it blew everyone's mind back in 1969 by how powerful it was, and yes, it still is. :)

That's what I was thinking, too!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am very shocked to see "Whole Lotta Love" sitting with only two votes. Always assumed that would do well because most, if not nearly all, Zeppelin fans love Zep II. Guess I was wrong.

That's the fun of polls. You always get something different.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...