December 10th 1975?

zepps_apprentice

It was during the time following Robert's car accident, I can't remember the exact location of that photo though sorry. One of the other members would be able to help you out there.

Tom,

My guess is that it's possibly Los Angeles, since they were recording Presence at the time out there. I think the recording was being done in Malibu. I'm sure someone here could provide specific details.

Always good to have you here Tom. You make a lot of good posts, with detailed info. A true and knowledgeable Zeppelin fan. Especially like you posts regarding the '77 tour, which you're quite passionate about!

Beehan's in St. Helier, Jersey

December 10, 1975

Led Zeppelin join resident pianist Norman Hale for an impromptu 45-minute set, making good on a promise made Dec 3rd to return to the club.

behanslead_203x152.gif

Behan's nightclub

Rock and roll hits the rock

The Pav becomes Behans and rock and roll was the name of the game. BBC Jersey spoke to the club's manager, Chris Sparkes.

By James McLachlan

By the late 60s, the West Park Pavilion had moved on from its days as a big band nightclub and become a cabaret venue.

The Pav of the 50s could count royalty and film stars as regular guests, but the subsequent decade saw the place badly needing needed a new direction.

This new direction arrived in the dynamic form of Joyce and Hughie Behan, who bought the Pav in 1971.

Re-launched as Behans, it now featured an automated stage, which rose up from the dancefloor and a world class sound system.

Top Acts

Manager and DJ Chris Sparkes, who was there from the beginning, believes the Behans were the main reason for the success.

behansbody_470x350.gif

Behans in its heyday. Chris said: "Jersey was full to the gunnels with holiday makers and seasonal workers

with cash on the hip, looking for a good time. So it was the right place at the right time.

"However, it was the Behans who made it what it was. There were so dynamic and astute."

The Behan era saw some the best live acts in the world coming to play in Jersey.

"We played anyone who was anyone. The bottom line was every week there was always an absolutely superb line-up.

"It was more a case of who didn't play there rather than who did," Chris explained.

The list of acts that played at Behans reads like a who's who of musical talent from the 70s. Slade, Suzi Quattro and the Drifters are just some of the many that came.

Even rock behemoths Led Zepplin gave an impromptu performance, still the source of interest for many a budding rock historian.

behansbody3_203x152.gif

Leo Sayer poses outsides Behans

'Massive high'

Chris said: "We were very, very lucky to be in a position to afford to bring top acts over."

"Everything seemed to work so well. There is no better satisfaction than setting a band up, getting the sound and lighting correct and the band starting to play and the audience love it.

That happened almost every night and it was a massive high for us."

At the height of its powers Behans was rammed with a 1000 punters on a nightly basis.

Chris describes the sound and lighting as technically superb.

"When an UK artist came over they were amazed at the sound system. It could have been the London Palladium," he said

Giving the wealth of talent on display at Behans, it is bizarre that one of Chris' most vivid memories doesn't involve a live act at all, but rather Queen's monstrous Bohemian Rhapsody single.

Chris said: "I remember hearing Queen's new record on the radio and couldn't get hold of a copy. I kept saying to the audience wait till you here this new single.

"Eventually I got hold of a copy and played it midway through Sunday afternoon.

behansbody2_470x350.gif

Behans had a unique atmosphere"I have never seen an audience react to a piece of music. The record stopped

and the place was silent. After about a twenty second silence they all started screaming to have it played again."

The end of an era

The Behans era ended when they decided to sell up in 1980. According to Chris, they had seen the end coming.

He said: "They instinctively knew when was the right time to buy it and when to get out. I don't know how, they just did."

Chris was contractually obliged to stay on for a year, eventually leaving to join the Opera House. For him the magic had gone.

He said: "I was sad to leave the place when I left it because it had been my life for ten years. I had spread plaster and knocked nails into the place.

The venue still attracted big names in cabaret throughout the eighties, but the rock and roll days were gone.

Chris said: "Towards the end I really thought the place had become very sad. It was completely dilapidated and basically the bulldozers put the thing out of its misery."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/jersey/content/articles/2009/03/09/innonthepark_chrissparkes_feature.shtml

Tom,

My guess is that it's possibly Los Angeles, since they were recording Presence at the time out there. I think the recording was being done in Malibu. I'm sure someone here could provide specific details.

Always good to have you here Tom. You make a lot of good posts, with detailed info. A true and knowledgeable Zeppelin fan. Especially like you posts regarding the '77 tour, which you're quite passionate about!

Cheers mate! You have a lot of good things to say also. Yeah, '77 is definitely my favourite tour, sloppiness and all. Would have been absolutely epic to witness one of those shows IMO. The tour was the definition of Rock and Roll excess (copius amounts of drugs and alcohol, 3 hour+ sets with massive solos etc). Ah, but here I go again talking about '77 so I shall stop there! :P

Cheers mate! You have a lot of good things to say also. Yeah, '77 is definitely my favourite tour, sloppiness and all. Would have been absolutely epic to witness one of those shows IMO. The tour was the definition of Rock and Roll excess (copius amounts of drugs and alcohol, 3 hour+ sets with massive solos etc). Ah, but here I go again talking about '77 so I shall stop there! :P

Thanks Tom. Don't have to stop. Just keep it up. It's what makes this board a lot of fun at times!

• 1 year later...

There is a blog about when Led Zeppelin were on Jersey.

www.ledzeppelinjersey.blogspot.com

They performed with Normal Hale at Behans at least twice because he has a color picture on his own website showing him playing with the two John's and their clothing and the stage set up are different to the black and white picture in the book scan.

www.normanhale.com/EXP-LedZep.htm

• 8 months later...

Zeppelin were staying at the Atlantic Hotel, in Jersey, Channel Islands, to avoid huge U.K. taxes in 1975.

I was doing my first d.j. job....an office Christmas party for a local bank,

held at the Atlantic Hotel, in Jersey, Channel Islands, at Christmas time 1975.

An hour before the start, I was alone in the dining room/ballroom, having just set up the the equipment.

The Manager, Mario, came in, with these long haired guys in tow, and he introduced each of them, with his heavy Spanish accent.

I thought it was a joke and thought I had misheard him...but then Robert Plant asked if they could use the sound equipment.

I was surprised how quietly and well-spoken he was and genuinely friendly.

They messed about for a while, made some small talk and eventually left because the guests for the office party had begun arriving.

At the end of the evening, Zeppelin came back and crashed the "stuck-up" party, nobody knew who they were.

The last thing I remember was either Jimmy Page or John Bonham (probably the latter) stamping on balloons,

with his big tan "T" boots, he was obviously the worse for wear.

Surreal.

Recording Presence in L.A.? Huh?

Cheers mate! You have a lot of good things to say also. Yeah, '77 is definitely my favourite tour, sloppiness and all. Would have been absolutely epic to witness one of those shows IMO. The tour was the definition of Rock and Roll excess (copius amounts of drugs and alcohol, 3 hour+ sets with massive solos etc). Ah, but here I go again talking about '77 so I shall stop there! tongue.gif

77 was the year I saw them and you got to hear alot of material from PG. And some Presence. You really had the chance to hear work from every album except In Through the Outdoor. I would not have traded it for any other year. Even though I am aware of the great concerts in previous years. That version of Heartbreaker on How the West was Won was just incredible.

The initial writing sessions were in Malibu, the recording was performed in Germany - as I remember it.

Correct.

Weird! I had no clue - I'd only ever seen mention of the recording sessions in Deutschland. Thanks for clearing that up for me.

• 2 years later...
  • 6 months later...
6 minutes ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

The only thing that I actually feel like adding to this thread is the fact that, it would have been really cool to have had an actual Led Zeppelin concert to celebrate my mom's 16th birthday, on the 10th of December, 1975. B) 

Robert's car crash injuries on August 4, 1975 ruled out any concert-length performances for the remainder of 1975 and beyond.

1 hour ago, SteveAJones said:

Robert's car crash injuries on August 4, 1975 ruled out any concert-length performances for the remainder of 1975 and beyond.

I am aware of all the tragic circumstances that surrounded Plant, at the time. It's just that, seeing a thread with the title 10th December, 1975 , in the Led Zep live section of the forum, prompted me to ask myself what if Plant had not met with a car accident? Hence, the reason for my post. I know that it is what it is and that no one can go back and change the past, but sometimes, as a fan of the band, I just can't help but wonder, in a rather wistful fashion.

Besides, the day 10th December, means something to me, namely, the celebration of my mother's birthday. 

9 hours ago, Kiwi_Zep_Fan87 said:

I am aware of all the tragic circumstances that surrounded Plant, at the time. It's just that, seeing a thread with the title 10th December, 1975 , in the Led Zep live section of the forum, prompted me to ask myself what if Plant had not met with a car accident? Hence, the reason for my post. I know that it is what it is and that no one can go back and change the past, but sometimes, as a fan of the band, I just can't help but wonder, in a rather wistful fashion.

Besides, the day 10th December, means something to me, namely, the celebration of my mother's birthday. 

According to Peter Grant, their plans were a US tour in Aug/Sep, Scandanavia in Nov and UK dates "around Christmas".

• 2 years later...
  • Administrators

I've added some new photos & info to the Timeline related to this time in December 1975, including photos of another jam where John Paul Jones played piano at a party at Anne Port Bay Folk Club, the same week as the famous jam at Behan's:

The same week as this jam at Behan's (which occurred somewhere between Dec. 10 and Dec. 16), the Anne Port Bay Folk Club welcomed the band at a party, which was being hosted as part of the local Christmas celebrations. Although the band did not perform,  John Paul Jones did  take a turn on the piano, where he accompanied a number of other performers.  http://www.ledzeppelin.com/event/december-16-1975

1975-12-anneportbayclub-9o1.2jpg.jpg

1975-12-anneportbayclub-9o1.jpg

1975-12-Behans-Club---Isle-of-Jersey.jpg

Archived