Stairway solo

Jimmy's guitar solo was only 49 seconds long......the last zeppelin show on july 7, 1980 in berlin germany, his solo was about 7 minutes long.

reports say he was barely using his pinky finger, as I play lead guitar myself I can't even imagine pulling off a gig with only three fingers, which I know Jimmy was able to do back on the 1975 tour when he broke his hand/finger? can't remember.

anyways, that seemed like an incredibly and surprisingly short guitar solo

It sounded really good. I'm guessing his broken pinky limited the length of his solo. Although the days of playing Stairway for 12 minutes are over anyway. This version was 8 and a half minutes which is about as long as Stairway should be.

I wasn't there so I don't REALLY know how it went.

But of all the clips I've seen, this solo was the only one where I was anything close to disappointed. The song as a whole was great, but the solo kind of made me go "huh?"

I just hope any of the mistakes don't cause the group not to release the DVD.

It really wasn't a Zeppelin show without it, and it made the event official I think.

If you've grown to dislike STH, then I reccommend this version, because they really seized the moment.

Well, I recommend it either way!

The Stariway on their last show in Berlin in 1980 was something like 15 minutes and the solo is like half empty space and half repetition. Jimmy keeps stopping and restarting like he's recording takes in a recording studio or something. I mean, I admire his dedication for not ending the solo until he was good and ready, but still it was kinda painful to hear.

I wasn't thrilled with the O2 solo but you can tell he was trying to do something truly of the moment rather than just play the album solo. He just didn't have much of a canvas to work with. They had to fill in as many songs as possible.

The Stariway on their last show in Berlin in 1980 was something like 15 minutes and the solo is like half empty space and half repetition. Jimmy keeps stopping and restarting like he's recording takes in a recording studio or something. I mean, I admire his dedication for not ending the solo until he was good and ready, but still it was kinda painful to hear.

I wasn't thrilled with the O2 solo but you can tell he was trying to do something truly of the moment rather than just play the album solo. He just didn't have much of a canvas to work with. They had to fill in as many songs as possible.

just for the record....I'm not saying the solo in 1980 is my favorite Stairway to Heaven guitar solo, I was just stating a fact for comparison. Out of guilt for my comment, I just listened to the solo on the record, and guess what? it's almost exactly as long as the solo he did tonight at the 02 Arena,

so it seems he was trying to keep the integrity of the song as close to the original as possible.

We were very close to the stage and it was clear Jimmy was struggling on this one. He cut it off prematurely and Robert was surprised, he had to scramble to kick in again. Jimmy was drawing faces afterwards to his guitar tech

The pinky was being protected.

Stairway solo was short, but so were they all. T

o be honest this was planned imo. The came on at 9 and had to finish by eleven (they finished at 11:12). If you have seen the set list there simply was no room for adding any longer solos. They were leaner, no drum solo less guitar solo (dazed and confused and bow was the closest they got). The leanness made it all the better. They blew us all away...

Out of guilt for my comment, I just listened to the solo on the record, and guess what? it's almost exactly as long as the solo he did tonight at the 02 Arena,

so it seems he was trying to keep the integrity of the song as close to the original as possible.

yeah I noticed the similarity with the record as well.

I thought this was very unorthodox for Jimmy and on top of whatever technical difficulties he was having, it made the solo less desirable.

But maybe the technical difficulties kind of forced a more cookie cutter solo version, so they could be one in the same.

yeah I noticed the similarity with the record as well.

I thought this was very unorthodox for Jimmy and on top of whatever technical difficulties he was having, it made the solo less desirable.

But maybe the technical difficulties kind of forced a more cookie cutter solo version, so they could be one in the same.

Ok on a second listen, it sounded great. I don't know what I was smoking. It was very good and I don't know what I was talking about.

Jimmy's guitar solo was only 49 seconds long......the last zeppelin show on july 7, 1980 in berlin germany, his solo was about 7 minutes long.

reports say he was barely using his pinky finger, as I play lead guitar myself I can't even imagine pulling off a gig with only three fingers, which I know Jimmy was able to do back on the 1975 tour when he broke his hand/finger? can't remember.

anyways, that seemed like an incredibly and surprisingly short guitar solo

It was a good guitar solo. Page was really great from what I saw online. I loved hearing the really fast vibrato once again.

The solo was the same length as the album version.

Page even came in at the same time as he does on the album (there was normally at least 4 bars before he kicked in).

I very much enjoyed it, although my favourite moment of that track was in the last verse when Robert Plant forgot where he was and really went for it ('there walks a LADY we all know'), superb.

It's little flubs like this which make me think that Jimmy will not allow this to be released, despite it being a fantastic and honest performance (from what I've seen/heard so far...)

49 seconds? 7 minutes? Doesn´t matter.

I prefer short guitar solos and Jimmy never overplayed on the studio records. Jimmy´s performance seemed surprisingly fresh. Broken finger? I don´t know if that´s the reason for the little hickups. He´s just human (although many fans beg to differ ;-))

Actually, who gives a.. :rolleyes:

49 seconds? 7 minutes? Doesn´t matter.

I prefer short guitar solos and Jimmy never overplayed on the studio records. Jimmy´s performance seemed surprisingly fresh. Broken finger? I don´t know if that´s the reason for the little hickups. He´s just human (although many fans beg to differ ;-))

Actually, who gives a.. :rolleyes:

I do not think the hickups were cause of the hurt finger. Jimmy has hickuped here and there and there and here since day one. He is not note for note to often, but he is and will always be my favorite. I am listening to No 1/4 right now and it is hot. I cannot wait for a cleaner version.

Peace all.

I very much enjoyed it, although my favourite moment of that track was in the last verse when Robert Plant forgot where he was and really went for it ('there walks a LADY we all know'), superb.

It's little flubs like this which make me think that Jimmy will not allow this to be released, despite it being a fantastic and honest performance (from what I've seen/heard so far...)

So his voice cracked. I'd rather he do that than sing it baritone. He stopped going for those high notes after 1971. Even on the 1971 BBC recording he struggles. He got close enough, even considering the tuning.

Im only going on the evidence of what I heard/seen on the utube. But Im certain that they tried to get as near Zepp 4 version as poss - Jimmy was trying to reproduce the solo as close as he could get it to the original - in any event it barely matters. Our boys stepped up to the plate last night and delivered

The man played the whole concert (nota bene: over two hours!) practically using 3 fingers on the fretboard. He did an excellent concert nonetheless. End of the story.

The 3 finger style is very Brit. Just look at The Clapton interview in Farewell to Cream with the Fool SG. When I first learned to play in 1972 it was that 3 finger style that I emulated. Plus I remember he had a broken finger in The Song Remains The Same as well. I'm not sure but I think it was the index finger.

The 3 finger style is very Brit. Just look at The Clapton interview in Farewell to Cream with the Fool SG. When I first learned to play in 1972 it was that 3 finger style that I emulated. Plus I remember he had a broken finger in The Song Remains The Same as well. I'm not sure but I think it was the index finger.

Ive been up close to the stage when Jimmy has played twice, both times with Plant in 95 and 98 and he did play like this

Archived