Why didn´t they play an acoustic set at the O2 ?

Why didn't they play Sabra Cadabra?

They should have played The Boys Are Back In Town. :D The only reason why they didn't play acoustic stuff was certainly they wanted to do something energic.

• 2 weeks later...

I thought an acoustic set would have been fantastic and the true Zepp fans there would have loved it.

I think it was an Irish Bootleg of a Page & Plant show I was listening to once, and the fans reaction when Jimmy picked up his acoustic to play California was unreal.

• 1 month later...

I do think they didn't do the acoustic set because they wanted the show to be fast paced and rocking. I would have loved to see them do the acoustic set personally, but that's just nit picking. Overall I thought the show went well without it. Of course I have only seen footage. It would have been interesting to see where they would have placed it, how many songs, and what songs they would have chosen for it.

Perhaps there just wasn't enough time to get set up for the acoustic set and then back to electric. They had a list of songs that they for sure wanted to play so I assume they just said lets do the ones that we can do that the people will love without going on too long because we are not in our twenties anymore. wink.gif

• 1 year later...

It would have been great if they did a acoustic set, especially if they pulled out tunes they never played live such as Hey Hey What Can I Do and Poor Tom. Possibly a BOE as well with a guest vocalist (Alison Krauss?) playing the part of response. JPJ singing response like he did in 77' was simply horrible, he sounded like a neutered squirrel.

JPJ singing response like he did in 77' was simply horrible, he sounded like a neutered squirrel.

:hysterical: Why shit borne', I heard of spay/neuterin' ya dog n' cats..but never squirrles. ...Interesting.... What vet ya' go too?

Bet they'd give Alvin an' dem Chipmunks a run fa' da money.....

I've heard too many times that an acoustic set can never match the energy level of electrified. For an accomplished group of musicians, it couldn't be more the opposite. This performance, however, was not the right setting and preparation for that.

• 2 weeks later...

Is getting you're post count up really that important here? Pointless thread.

Apparently it's quite important to a number of people here. I never have understood the fascination with having a high post count myself. Mine's high simply because I've been posting here since the board went official around the time of the 02 show (as well as at the previous incarnation of the board) but I honestly don't pay any attention to it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

could not get the count discussion....

I think this topic is intresting cause Zep got a lot of

acoustic influences and people love this onstage. Not only the heavy stuff.

in the meantime i found another explaination.

when listening to an Interview of Page and Plant Jimmy said that

when selecting the material they could not get the old feeling of Bron Yr Aur

anymore, though this song worked great in Zeppelin days.

So maybe it´s just the acoustic set that did not seem to work for this 02 night.

as an attendee it was the one thing i missed at the O2 show. given the attention of the world's press i felt they missed a trick in not evoking their acoustic legacy. there were doubtless other factors involved and im sure it wouldve been discussed and presumably rehearsed, as the guys were very proud of the diversity in their catalogue.

so may be it just wasnt coming together in the rehearsals for those numbers.

• 2 months later...

it would have been easy to set up, just pull out some stools and hand page an acoustic and jonesy whatever toys he need and let er rip.......probably had to do with they came up with their song list and given the length of the show they were planning on playing, and what they felt they had to play, there weren't any real spots in there to put in acoustic songs.

Now I tend to disagree, I feel like there's time in there to pull out something like going to california, plus it would give a shot at just the three surviving members playing together, not even having little bonzo involved. alas, no acoustic songs but a great gig indeed it was.

Archived