Phil Collins officially quits music business

danelectro59

Well I'd think it doesn't matter at this point if a person likes Collins or not. Poor health is nothing to joke about and neither is chronic pain. Having a wife who lives daily with chronic pain I can safely say it's not a lot of fun.

So if he really does quit, more power to him. Somebody must have enjoyed his music over the decades. Let him live off of his royalites and take care of his kids then. We should all be so fortunate to do that.

Well I'd think it doesn't matter at this point if a person likes Collins or not. Poor health is nothing to joke about and neither is chronic pain. Having a wife who lives daily with chronic pain I can safely say it's not a lot of fun.

So if he really does quit, more power to him. Somebody must have enjoyed his music over the decades. Let him live off of his royalites and take care of his kids then. We should all be so fortunate to do that.

Agreed ! Having experienced his condition myself, I wish him nothing but the best with his recovery

Patrick Bateman said it best in American Psycho...

Do you like Phil Collins? I've been a big Genesis fan ever since the release of their 1980 album, Duke. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. It was on Duke where Phil Collins' presence became more apparent. I think Invisible Touch was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Christy, take off your robe. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing of Banks, Collins and Rutherford. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. Sabrina, remove your dress. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Sabrina, why don't you, uh, dance a little. Take the lyrics to Land of Confusion. In this song, Phil Collins addresses the problems of abusive political authority. In Too Deep is the most moving pop song of the 1980s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. Christy, get down on your knees so Sabrina can see your asshole. Phil Collins' solo career seems to be more commercial and therefore more satisfying, in a narrower way. Especially songs like In the Air Tonight and Against All Odds. Sabrina, don't just stare at it, eat it. But I also think Phil Collins works best within the confines of the group, than as a solo artist, and I stress the word artist. This is Sussudio, a great, great song, a personal favorite.

:D

"Around the time that the music was being played so incessantly people wanted to strangle me," he said. "It's hardly surprising that people grew to hate me. I'm sorry that it was all so successful. I honestly didn't mean it to happen like that!"

Phil Collins sounds like a pretty nice guy to me based on this ^^^ comment. Hope he finds some happiness doing whatever he wants.

Another thing, as "Houses of the Holy" was a pivotal album for me in 1973, Genesis "Trick of the Tail" was in 1976.

Looks like I wasn't the only to feel that way about the quality of that particular work.

From Wiki: A Trick of the Tail reached #3 in the UK, remaining on the charts for 39 weeks, and #31 in the US. Additionally, the album was certified Gold in the US by the RIAA in March 1990. Also according to Tony Banks in the essay that comes with Platinum Collection, the album doubled the band's previous albums sales. This success was also financially crucial for Genesis who were $400,000 in debt by the time Peter Gabriel left.

.....................:) missy

Is there a "type" anyway?

I don't follow what is supposedly cool or not.

No--and I certainly can't imagine there's a Phil Collins "type." Seems unlikely it would be people like me, who don't watch TV except for the late night comedians. :lol:

Edit--Babs, I'd forgotten that, it's brilliant. :D

No--and I certainly can't imagine there's a Phil Collins "type." Seems unlikely it would be people like me, who don't watch TV except for the late night comedians. :lol:

Edit--Babs, I'd forgotten that, it's brilliant. :D

That's what I'm here for Aqua..... Gentle reminders.

:lol:

Now where is that darn Huey Lewis thread......

He's probably a good drummer, but I disliked all of his songs, including Easy Lover, and I can't think of any of his songs that I could stand to listen to very long. I would always turn the channel on the radio and search for something else. I much preferred Wayne Fontana and the Mindbender's "Groovy Kind of Love", which Phil Collins covered.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hilAvj7oZhw

I am feeling sorry for him.Well, he is getting older and maybe got some money spared to get himselve back in good conditions.

Most of the other men on this planet could not affort this-neither would a mass of people care.Anyhow good luck to him.

His live aid Zeppiln support was a shame and his postgenesis stuff seems like a moneymaking machine to me.

But listening to the first "Genesis live" especially "Musicall Box" and I think this is great drumming with fire!Especially he used only a small drumset like

Bonzo and still playing in such a perfect way.Eternal masterpieces imo.

• 4 years later...

Phil Collins says he's 'no longer officially retired'

After announcing his retirement in 2011, Phil Collins is jumping back into the music business.

The British singer and drummer told Rolling Stone that he's "no longer officially retired...the horse is out of the stable and I'm raring to go."

The 64-year-old wrote on his website in 2011 that he wanted to leave music to father his two sons "on a daily basis."

The former Genesis frontman's last album of new material was 2002's "Testify." Rolling Stone says Collins is planning a new solo album and tour.

"My kids are now 10 and 14 and they want to see what their dad does," Collins said. "They were in nappies when I was last on the road...I'd like to take them out so they can enjoy it."

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_MUSIC_PHIL_COLLINS?SITE=TXDAM&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Liked a lot of his stuff, esp his Genesis stuff.  Some of his solo work was excellent, some I could def leave behind.  But hey, I feel that way about a lot of artists.

I think this whole "Let's shit on Collins" stuff is overdone, too many people conveniently jumping on the bandwagon.

I once said to a neighbour who had a PC album on while he was in his garden that he was "Good in Genesis" The neighbour looked puzzled  "Ooh don't know them he said". Says a lot about how far removed  PC's solo career was from his Genesis one.

Love 'em or hate 'em, whatever you may think of him, you can't deny that at one time if nothing else Phil Collins was one of the best goddamn drummers in the business. Never mind his solo stuff, Genesis, Brand X, etc- if he was good enough for Robert Plant's first two solo albums then that is good enough. 

• 11 months later...

“I felt I had been made the scapegoat for what happened at Live Aid and so (the book) was a chance to set the record straight”. Is this really the angle he's using to promote his entire book? Or, is Phil Collins career actually so fucking uninteresting that his Live Aid 'performance' with LZ was the best way he could find to garner interest in his book? He must still be terribly embarrassed by it to this day, otherwise, why use it as a selling point for an entire book, which I'm sure contains much more than his "sulfurous" :D experience with Jimmy Page (aka The Devil). What will not be contained in his book will be the admission that he really didn't know how to properly play any of the songs that he participated on with LZ that day, and that he really had no business being there to begin with. I guess Phil figured he'd just "play air drums and and try to stay out of the way", that really was a very bad move on his part. But, in the end, Robert Plant gets full blame for Collins inclusion at Live Aid. I'd love to hear why Plant thought that would be a good idea and what Jimmy's initial reaction to it was. Quick, someone write a book about it...there's money to be made:D

• 7 months later...

Phil Collins Plays First Comeback Show

Last night in Liverpool, Phil Collins played his first full-length concert in about seven years at the Echo Arena in Liverpool, England. It was the first night of the Not Dead Yet tour.

According to Setlist fm, the 21-song evening kicked off with "Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)." He took a break after the 10th song, "Only You Know and I Know," and returned to the stage after a drum duet by Louis Conte and Nic Collins, Phil's son who is handling drum duties. That was followed by "I Don't Care Anymore" and he closed the second set with "Sussudio." The encore consisted of "If You Love (Really Love Me)," and English version of an Edith Piaf song that Dame Vera Lynn made famous, and "Take Me Home."

While the show was predictably heavily weighted with his biggest hits, Collins didn't eschew some lesser-known cuts, including "You Know What I Mean," "Can't Turn Back the Year" and, for the first time ever, "Wake Up Call," from 2002's Testify.

Collins tenure with Genesis was represented with "Invisible Touch" and "Follow You Follow Me," which Collins' has never before sand at a solo concert.

The Not Dead Yet tour continues tomorrow with five nights at London's Royal Albert Hall, followed by five nights in Cologne, Germany and five more in Paris. Shortly after announcing the dates last year, he said that "it will only be a matter of time" before he returns to the U.S.

First Set

1. Against All Odds (Take a Look at Me Now)

2. Another Day in Paradise

3. One More Night

4. Wake Up Call

5. Follow You Follow Me

6. Can't Turn Back the Years

7. I Missed Again

8. Hang in Long Enough

9. Separate Lives

10. Only You Know and I Know

Second Set

11. I Don't Care Anymore

12. Something Happened on the Way to Heaven

13. You Know What I Mean (Nic on piano)

14. In the Air Tonight

15. You Can't Hurry Love

16. Dance Into the Light

17. Invisible Touch

18. Easy Lover

19. Sussudio

Encore

20. If You Love (Really Love Me)

21. Take Me Home

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/phil-collins-liverpool-2017-set-list-video/

Five nights at the Royal Albert Hall, five nights in Cologne and five nights in Paris. That is absolutely gargantuan !!! I am not a fan of all of his solo work but the songs I do like I really like. Just watching these clips from the first night at the Royal Albert Hall are really nice and refreshing to hear them at this point in time. Check out this clip of "I Don't Care Anymore" with his son on drums. I think it's really cool his son being in the band on drums. The caliber of Phil Collins' musicianship is huge.

Archived