John Paul Jones' Crowning Achievement

BlackDog71

What is John Paul Jones' crowning achievement with Led Zeppelin?  

57 members have voted

1. 1. What song is John Paul Jones' crowning achievement?

• Dazed and Confused
    • How Many More Times
    • Thank You
    • Since I've Been Loving You
    • Misty Mountain Hop
    • Going To California
    • The Rain Song
    • No Quarter
    • Trampled Under Foot
    • Kashmir
    • Carouselambra
    • Other

This was a tough one because I couldn't put all the amazing songs that he made even more amazing. I am very sure I left out some really good choice. I did my best with the 12 spaces allowed. If you have a choice other than the ones I put in, please vote for "other" and tell me what song you thought about when voting and why in the comments section. I am interested in the feedback. I have come to appreciate what he did and what he was in the band. I chose songs where I felt he stood out on the bass and/or keyboard. Some are mainly for his iconic bass riffs (Dazed and Confused, How Many More Times) and some were for how he could move us on the keyboard (No Quarter, Kashmir) and some just for his overall influence in the song.

I voted for "No Quarter" because It's a JPJ favorite of mine and I think it shows how truly talented and diverse he was as a musician. There's just something about what he brought to this song that makes it so good and so genius.

Well, I can't call it his crowning achievement exactly as it was on the first album, and it would sound as if he went downhill from there, but the opening bars of D&C were the first I heard of Zeppelin and instantly made me want to hear much more. So for me, that's the one.

Led Zeppelin II is JPJ's crowning achievment. Ramble On, The Lemon Song, every bass line on that LP is just legendary

+1

The Lemon Song has an amazing bassline...I couldn't believe he just nailed that track down 'on the spot'. Jonesy and his trusted Jazz bass are ONE

Also worth mentioning, JP joining in after the guitar solo on Heartbreaker (Berkeley sept 14th 1971)

:notworthy:

Led Zeppelin II is JPJ's crowning achievment. Ramble On, The Lemon Song, every bass line on that LP is just legendary

I quite agree, sir. This album was something to behold. He's as big a reason as any of the members.

• 2 weeks later...

I have only recently come to understand and appreciate the enormous contribution JPJ made to the band.

I've started listening and watching closely (in the case of dvds) John Paul Jones play his bass and keyboards.

He is amazing. Usually I'm focused on Jimmy's guitar playing, but now I glance back at JPJ and become just as blown away watching him work the bass.

On the Earls' Court show for example, he does a masterful job of on Sick Again and TSRTS. And you can hear the bass in those songs too.

His skills on that Mellotron, piano, organ etc. and other special guitars are simply fantastic. Yes, I'm becoming a big fan of Mr. John Paul Jones!

Oh, yeah...about the poll. In the end I had to give it up for No Quarter.

I'm not sure if that's considered his signature piece, but it sure is a masterpiece to my ears.

.................... :) missy

P.S. Thanks for the great poll blackdog 71!

other -

IN THE LIGHT

I'll never understand why Led Zeppelin never played this live.

I remember JPJ saying how much Robert wanted to play In the Light on stage, but he (Jones) didn't want to have to deal with Synthesizers live !

for Bass masterpieces I'd probably vote for Ramble On.

• 8 months later...

IMHO, his crowning achievement is his 40+ year marriage to Mo and their raising of three daughters.

Totally agree^^

I also love a comment from Jack White to the effect that just the opening bass in D&C he should never have to work another day again:-)

Musically speaking and studio-wise, I believe that Mr. John Baldwin's (aka John Paul Jones) greatest and most endearing achievements during his time with Led Zeppelin is/was EVERYTHING!!! By everything I really mean EVERYTHING. John Paul Jones has and deserves song-writing credits on every Led Zeppelin songs even though it was not credited that way. I feel the same goes to John Henry 'Bonzo' Bonham.

Back to Jonesy. "In the Light", "No Quarter", "Since I've Been Loving You", Etc... I truly believe that John Paul Jones is the MOST under-rated Musician of all-time. His Birthday is coming up in about 3 weeks.

Happy Birthday, Jonesy. I Love You, Man!!!!!!

• 3 months later...

Archived