WORST SOUND AT A GIG EVER !

I went to the show at the o2 last night (10th dec 2007).

I was about 30/40 feet from the stage (standing).

First of all, great to see Plant/Jones/Page as Zeppelin again, Jason B certainly gave the band a driving energy and new feel somehow. They all gave great perfomances, you could clearly see the exitement and feel the energy that each member projected, particulaly Page, he looked lean, on the ball and ready for action. Plant seemed a little aprehensive at first, but by the middle/end of the show he relaxed more and was clearly enjoying it. Jones was his classic self, intently listening and watching everything going on around him, holding it all together, locked in sync with Jason, who gave a solid, professional performance.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SOUND THOUGH, it was appauling, sub bass-bass-more bass, and an extra touch of bass, was it the venue, does it always sound like that?

Even if it is the sound of the venue, the sound tech guys/gals should have got it sorted. It ruined the experience for me, I have never heard anything like it, the worst sound at a gig ever, terrible.

After 5 songs, I thought maybe it was where I was standing, so I moved to the back of the arena, slightly better, but still way too much bass, escpecially the sub bass. When 'Dazed and Confused' started I could not distinguish one bass note to the next, (you should be able to hear a semitone by semitone fall in pitch). Although I did recognise that the band had tuned down (to 'D' I think) it should not have genated that much extra bass.

I am convinced that the band had a completely different sound on stage, because I would have not been able to play with a sound like that, it was torture!

It did make me laugh though, standing near the sound desk, there were the sound 'techs' (how dare the call themselves that) with their headphones on, nodding their heads, ARE THEY DEAF ? (TAKE YOUR HEADPHONES OFF AND LISTEN TO SOUND OF THE ARENA).

Where did they learn their trade? Do they listen to rock music, Have they heard of Led Zeppelin?

That sort of mix would have been OK for a Rap event. I did try to stop and speak to one of the sound guys, but he nonchalontly kept going.

I even tried to enulate the same sound in my car on the way home and could not get enough bass, with full bass boost on and all the bass settings on 10!

By the way check out my web site: www.glennpovey.com for info on me, including samples of my guitar works.

The show was plagued by feedback problems throughout the night. Jimmy auditioned no

less than six different sound systems for this event. Even so, there is always going to be the human element in any production. Some have said the GUITARS, not the bass,

were too prominant throughout all the acts. In all these cases, either the engineers got it wrong or you need your ears checked.

The show was plagued by feedback problems throughout the night. Jimmy auditioned no

less than six different sound systems for this event. Even so, there is always going to be the human element in any production. Some have said the GUITARS, not the bass,

were too prominant throughout all the acts. In all these cases, either the engineers got it wrong or you need your ears checked.

Nothing wrong with my ears, had them checked (20-20) last year.

Again if the sound guys knew what they were doing there should not have been a problem with feedback, these guys have thousands/millions of pounds worth of equipment, I could get a better sound with a £85 Sony car mini disc system.

What drugs did you take?? :lol:

But Seriously

IMO The industry has been obsessed with over-the-top bass for a number of years now.

so maybe there is something in what you say.

I wasn't there so I don't know.

Perhaps there was a bias to mixing the sound more to favour a recording for DVD release?

When 'Dazed and Confused' started I could not distinguish one bass note to the next, (you should be able to hear a semitone by semitone fall in pitch):

wtf? shut up. you need your hearing sorted, sounds like you got a big problem

No problem with my ears pal, were you drunk!

I will say whatever I want, I am not a yes man. I know what zeppelin can/should sound like, the last thing I want to do is say anything negative about my No.1 influencual band.

The O2 is notorious for troublesome sound. Furthermore, it doesn't matter how many PAs you audition, 18,000 bodies change everything when you pack them into the room. Then you have to factor in the number of acts. No matter how well you soundcheck, when you get multiple groups playing, levels get adjusted on the fly, then when the main act comes up, so many dynamics have changed. Personally, I wasn't at the show, but I watched a few songs on YouTube and it sounded great for an arena IMO.

(the last 2 posts in this thread were my friend posting under my name, and although i agree with what he is saying, he went about it the wrong way, and came across in a very childish manor).

Maybe it was different higher up in the rafters, maybe the sound didnt travel right, but from where i was standing it was allll good.

What i dont understand is when you see an act such as zeppelin erform as well as they all did last night some peope have to find little things to moan about...

was the electric atmosphere not enough for you?

was the awesome performance not good enough for you?

was the 90% of the time awesome sound not good enough?

Why do you feel the need to find problems and try and bring zeppelin down?

The O2 is notorious for troublesome sound. Furthermore, it doesn't matter how many PAs you audition, 18,000 bodies change everything when you pack them into the room. Then you have to factor in the number of acts. No matter how well you soundcheck, when you get multiple groups playing, levels get adjusted on the fly, then when the main act comes up, so many dynamics have changed. Personally, I wasn't at the show, but I watched a few songs on YouTube and it sounded great for an arena IMO.

I appeaciate the difficulties of sound engineering, but why do you need sub bass with a rock band, a Zeppelin mix needs great care and balence - PULL THE LEADS OUT OR TURN THE SUB BASS WAY DOWN OR EVEN OFF COMPELTELY. If they had have done that the sound would have been much better.

I appeaciate the difficulties of sound engineering, but why do you need sub bass with a rock band, a Zeppelin mix needs great care and balence - PULL THE LEADS OUT OR TURN THE SUB BASS WAY DOWN OR EVEN OFF COMPELTELY. If they had have done that the sound would have been much better.

What would have made it deeper and bassier would be the fact is was down tuned too... IMHO it just made it sound heavier and meatier... but obviously where you were in the gig it was not the case?!

(the last 2 posts in this thread were my friend posting under my name, and although i agree with what he is saying, he went about it the wrong way, and came across in a very childish manor).

Maybe it was different higher up in the rafters, maybe the sound didnt travel right, but from where i was standing it was allll good.

What i dont understand is when you see an act such as zeppelin erform as well as they all did last night some peope have to find little things to moan about...

was the electric atmosphere not enough for you?

was the awesome performance not good enough for you?

was the 90% of the time awesome sound not good enough?

Why do you feel the need to find problems and try and bring zeppelin down?

You idiots, such children, why cant you take a bit of constructive criticism, even then it is not aimed at the band (READ MY ORIGINAL POST). I am a lifelong Zeppelin fan, I am saying this because I care intently about LZep. If you think it was a great sound then good luck to you. MAYBE I AM THE ONLY ONE WITH THE BALLS TO SAY WHAT I TRUELY FEEL, AND THAT IS NOT DONE WITH ANY MALICE.

You idiots, such children, why cant you take a bit of constructive criticism, even then it is not aimed at the band (READ MY ORIGINAL POST). I am a lifelong Zeppelin fan, I am saying this because I care intently about LZep. If you think it was a great sound then good luck to you. MAYBE I AM THE ONLY ONE WITH THE BALLS TO SAY WHAT I TRUELY FEEL, AND THAT IS NOT DONE WITH ANY MALICE.

Why can't you take the fact that some people don't agree with your opinion? Children? Reading this post in the clear light of morning tells me someone needs a nap.

I was there and 'sounds caressed my ears'

Sounded fine to me.

Maybe you should try and get out more and relax....try not to be too geeky about such issues

Oh, so I am a geek now am I, funny really, how people respond when you criticise something they love. If Jimmy, or any other band member could have sood and listened at the sound desk, they would not have been impressed. That is my final word on the subject.

How old are you people on here, 3 4 5 year olds?

If you want to throw childish insults and verbal abuse around become an member of parliment.

A bit off topic- but someone educate me. IF the sound was bad at the venue- would that effect their likelihood of releasing this in some way. Basically if the show is professionally recorded- does it matter what the venue sound is like?

aw, just ignore ole 'guitarglen'. The clue is in the last sentence of his original post.

Now how can I promote ME...it's all about me, me and me!!

I Agree Evster2012 ! ! The You Tube Videos have sounded good !

That was the Beauty of when Zeppelin performed in the 70's.... They were the only act.... and so the Soundcheck held....

So, ONE guy (sincerely) thinks there was too much Bass.....

We must read all of the reviews, and weigh his evaluation in it all...

I was about 30/40 feet from the stage (standing).

First of all, great to see Plant/Jones/Page as Zeppelin again, Jason B certainly gave the band a driving energy and new feel somehow. They all gave great perfomances, you could clearly see the exitement and feel the energy that each member projected, particulaly Page, he looked lean, on the ball and ready for action. Plant seemed a little aprehensive at first, but by the middle/end of the show he relaxed more and was clearly enjoying it. Jones was his classic self, intently listening and watching everything going on around him, holding it all together, locked in sync with Jason, who gave a solid, professional performance.

WHAT HAPPENED TO THE SOUND THOUGH, it was appauling, sub bass-bass-more bass, and an extra touch of bass, was it the venue, does it always sound like that?

Even if it is the sound of the venue, the sound tech guys/gals should have got it sorted. It ruined the experience for me, I have never heard anything like it, the worst sound at a gig ever, terrible.

After 5 songs, I thought maybe it was where I was standing, so I moved to the back of the arena, slightly better, but still way too much bass, escpecially the sub bass. When 'Dazed and Confused' started I could not distinguish one bass note to the next, (you should be able to hear a semitone by semitone fall in pitch). Although I did recognise that the band had tuned down (to 'D' I think) it should not have genated that much extra bass.

I am convinced that the band had a completely different sound on stage, because I would have not been able to play with a sound like that, it was torture!

It did make me laugh though, standing near the sound desk, there were the sound 'techs' (how dare the call themselves that) with their headphones on, nodding their heads, ARE THEY DEAF ? (TAKE YOUR HEADPHONES OFF AND LISTEN TO SOUND OF THE ARENA).

Where did they learn their trade? Do they listen to rock music, Have they heard of Led Zeppelin?

That sort of mix would have been OK for a Rap event. I did try to stop and speak to one of the sound guys, but he nonchalontly kept going.

I even tried to enulate the same sound in my car on the way home and could not get enough bass, with full bass boost on and all the bass settings on 10!

By the way check out my web site: www.glennpovey.com for info on me, including samples of my guitar works.

:rolleyes: There's one in every crowd, isn't there?

It all sounded damn good to me, then again i know nothing about music but perhaps thats a good thing.......a little knowledge is a dangerous thing as the saying goes. Dont think i have ever been to a gig and tried to recreate the bad sound in the car on the way home, i had better things to do in the car like listen to mothership very loud and sing along :-)

Oh, so I am a geek now am I, funny really, how people respond when you criticise something they love. If Jimmy, or any other band member could have sood and listened at the sound desk, they would not have been impressed. That is my final word on the subject.

How old are you people on here, 3 4 5 year olds?

If you want to throw childish insults and verbal abuse around become an member of parliment.

Um, you are the one who called people idiots, children and suggested they had no balls because they simply disagreed with you. I can smell your troll stench clear on the west coast of California.

Loser.

Archived