ROLLING STONE 100 GREATEST ARTISTS

I gave up on Rolling Stone(d) "greatest" lists when their "Greatest Guitarists" list had Angus Young at #96, Eddie Van Halen at #70....and Kurt Cobain at #12!!! I'm shocked they had Zeppelin in the Top 20 of this list!!!!

Newbie here... I'm not gonna read this article cuz the list is crap. Still, I'm curious to know if they even provided a criteria for the rankings. IIRC, they didn't provide any for one of those lists they did. I'd love to know why the Beach Boys and Buddy Holly are greater than Zep. I just don't see it. Some of the omissions are glaring, IMO. No Queen or Pink Floyd...ugh.

Newbie here... I'm not gonna read this article cuz the list is crap. Still, I'm curious to know if they even provided a criteria for the rankings. IIRC, they didn't provide any for one of those lists they did. I'd love to know why the Beach Boys and Buddy Holly are greater than Zep. I just don't see it. Some of the omissions are glaring, IMO. No Queen or Pink Floyd...ugh.

This list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time were selected based on input from 55 musicians, writers and industry executives... :)

So, it's certainly not a "Reader's Poll". I don't either agree or disagree with their results. It's just a list....

I would not included Aerosmith or Guns & Roses. I would have included Pink Floyd and Deep Purple, but what'ya gonna do ? ? ?

All of the entries had an essay written by another artist.

Here's the Introduction:

In 2004 — 50 years after Elvis Presley walked into sun studios and cut "That's All Right" — Rolling Stone celebrated rock & roll's first half-century in grand style, assembling a panel of 55 top musicians, writers and industry executives and asking them to pick the most influential artists of the rock & roll era. The resulting list of 100 artists, published in two issues of Rolling Stone in 2004 and 2005, and updated in 2011, is a broad survey of rock history, spanning Sixties heroes (the Beatles) and modern insurgents (Eminem), and touching on early pioneers (Chuck Berry) and the bluesmen who made it all possible (Howlin' Wolf).

The essays on these top 100 artists are by their peers: singers, producers and musicians. In these fan testimonials, indie rockers pay tribute to world-beating rappers (Vampire Weekend's Ezra Koenig on Jay-Z), young pop stars honor stylistic godmothers (Britney Spears on Madonna) and Billy Joel admits that Elton John "kicks my ass on piano." Rock & roll is now a music with a rich past. But at its best, it is still the sound of forward motion. As you read this book, remember: This is what we have to live up to.

For Zeppelin's entry, Dave Grohl wrote the essay.

I liked his sentiments about Bonham: "John Bonham played the drums like someone who didn't know what was going to happen next — like he was teetering on the edge of a cliff. No one has come close to that since, and I don't think anybody ever will. I think he will forever be the greatest drummer of all time."

About Jimmy: "When I listen to Zeppelin bootlegs, his solos can make me laugh or they can make me tear up. Any live version of "Since I Been Loving You" will bring you to tears and fill you with joy all at once."

About Led Zeppelin: "I believe Zeppelin will come back and prove themselves to once again be the greatest rock band of all time."

BTY, the Yardbirds were also in the RS Top 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

This list of the 100 Greatest Artists of All Time were selected based on input from 55 musicians, writers and industry executives... :)

So, it's certainly not a "Reader's Poll". I don't either agree or disagree with their results. It's just a list....

I would not included Aerosmith or Guns & Roses. I would have included Pink Floyd and Deep Purple, but what'ya gonna do ? ? ?

All of the entries had an essay written by another artist.

Here's the Introduction:

For Zeppelin's entry, Dave Grohl wrote the essay.

I liked his sentiments about Bonham: "John Bonham played the drums like someone who didn't know what was going to happen next — like he was teetering on the edge of a cliff. No one has come close to that since, and I don't think anybody ever will. I think he will forever be the greatest drummer of all time."

About Jimmy: "When I listen to Zeppelin bootlegs, his solos can make me laugh or they can make me tear up. Any live version of "Since I Been Loving You" will bring you to tears and fill you with joy all at once."

About Led Zeppelin: "I believe Zeppelin will come back and prove themselves to once again be the greatest rock band of all time."

BTY, the Yardbirds were also in the RS Top 100 Greatest Artists of All Time.

Thanks for the input. I've disagreed with these polls before and still read the commentaries...so I suppose I was having a lazy moment. :rolleyes: I certainly relate to Ghohl's coment about tearing up listening to Bonham...

Well, despite their lists always being kinda confusing, I loved reading what Grohl had to say. I think he's a fan like all of us and knows how amazing Zeppelin truly was/is.

Oh, to be sure, the essays written for all of the artists chosen, are 'fanboy' essays.

I think that Slash wrote the Aerosmith essay, and Joe Perry wrote the GNR essay.

So lots of back-slapping there... :)

Whenever you have polls like this, people aren't going to be happy. Bands who should be higher, or not in at all etc. How do they come up with the list?

Whilst it's no surprise to see the Beatles at No1, some acts either both way too low down (not just Zep) or not even there. As a previous poster pointed out, the most obvious omissions are Queen and Pink Floyd who don't even make the top 100. I bought Classic Rock here in the UK the other day. They have a list of the best 100 songwriters which includes Page & Plant (essay written by Roy Harper). They're not ranked though so no arguements to have there. Some strange inclusions though. Iron Maiden? Really?

Iron Maiden? Really?

Iron Maiden shirts have become the cool one to wear, previously it was the Ramones. Nothing against Iron Maiden being included but for some it's more about the fashion statement than actually listening to the music.

lindsay-lohan-iron-maiden.jpgimage1xl.jpg

Here's another recent poll conducted by Rolling Stone, voted on by their readers. It's the Best Lead Singers of All Time. I think the results are a bit better than the one discussed in this thread.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/photos/rolling-stone-readers-pick-the-best-lead-singers-of-all-time-20110412/0898062

It may be better to post this in a separate thread. We'll see.

Ive just had a look at this list and ive found myself wondering where the hell are Cream? I mean Cream are supposed to be the worlds first super group or so i thought, I now think that this list is a load of old cobblers!

Well that will certainly get the crabby bitter, old Bassist and Drummer in Cream bitching up a storm...... :D

I can't say I give a rats ass.

"F#ck Led Zeppelin... We invented everything"

or "I'd give John Bonham a 3 to 4 on a scale of 1-10" ..... (yes Ginger Baker did say that)

it's not Led Zeppelin's fault you imploded in 3 years because you're a bunch of ego-maniac idiots.......

there ...... I feel better.............. :P

I'd say Zeppelin scored pretty high for Rolling Stone .... if they put Pink Floyd at 51... that tells you where they were going...Elvis, James Brown Little Richard..... all great artists no doubt...

They're either 1 or 1A in my book....

Rolling Stone Readers Pick the Top Ten Bassists of All Time

Sir Paul McCartney is a brilliant musician, let me get that out of the way right off, but....

I was disappointed with his inclusion in this list (on a purely technical level), but then my disappointment vehemently escalated into a fury of sorts when I clicked on the Paul McCartney video some bonehead selected to represent him as one of the premiere bassists of all time (TOTAL FAIL!). Certainly not a second place caliber performance.

Geddy Lee is rightfully in the mix/ he's an incredible bassist.

Les Claypool is a freak with magic dancing fingers. Cool.

Entwistle is a dynamo and imho deserves his humble position on the list.

Master of Puppets is my absolute favorite Cliff Burton album. That kid had potential.

I love the Red Hot Chili Peppers, but I question Flea's inclusion here.

Vic Wooten is another great bass player that made the cut.

Jack Bruce is another legendary figure on the list, but again I have to question the video sample they chose to support their claim...not buying it! (another FAIL!)

Jaco Pastorius made the list too, probably influenced by Jann Wenner ...he's a huge Joni Mitchell fan and I think she must have some dirt on the publisher. So certainly you're gonna include her bass player in something like this, right? It's all politics/ just like little league baseball is....

and there's another guy on the list too :thumbsup:

m'man :notworthy: JPJ, ______ but here I'm again questioning position. Flea stole John Paul's spot if you ask me!

I need to get the Frontline spray out and take care of that pesky little varmint!

)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))):gimmefive:(((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

and a word about that 100 greatest artists of all time.

They could have squeezed a few more in there if they'd have combined The Band with Bob Dylan, Dr Dre with N.W.A., Eric Clapton with Cream, Carl Perkins with Elvis (Presley not Costello) etc etc... I'll tell ya, the bias in these sorts of thing is so obviously swayed to please pockets of the population. I love Etta James as much as the next guy but I'd have put her somewhere around 316 or 317 NOT 18th or where ever the hell they had her at/ with all due respect, ...rest her soul... I especially love when she sings Son Of A Preacher Man. :guitar_mood:

and another thing; I submit that perhaps it's time Rap and HipHop should have it's own Hall Of Fame and 100 Lists and other cool stuff like that. There's just so many in the Hip Hop community getting left out of the fun cause of all those danged ole rock and roll bands and heavy metalists ....just sayin'

Black Sabbath was in the 90s on this currant Top 100 List___in another 10 years am I to assume they won't even make the cut because Beyouncy, KISS, Peter Paul & MinnieMouse or Law&Order's own Ice-T will have garnered enough community support to bump Ozzy and the boys clean into the 200s? Early 200s I'm sure, but still!

I'll have to seriously question the validity of [insert deity here] if that shit happens!

I think the polls are entertaining/fun to read, but I'm not posting any more here myself because of the negative comments.

Don't let the comments stop you from posting links to polls, it's not as though you're responsible for the outcome. Polls are meant to stir up debate and stimulate conversation. While they can be fun, it's what an artist and their work mean to us as individuals that's most important. If we all agreed with every entry then that would mean something was horribly wrong.

Why are you so annoyed about some stupid poll?

lol

Is that all you took from my comments? Because A) I don't get annoyed by stupid polls, smart polls or even average-intelligence polls. I'm just not that impressed with a listing of a handful of persons' opinions that pretend to represent a valid demographic. and

B) I try to keep a sense of humor about shit like that. and

C) I'm just a song and dance guy. So ♫ let me entertain :guitar_mood: you ♪ let me calm ye nerves ♫

Good question though....soooo.... does anyone else think I need anger management classes? lol

**violently smashin' guitar into smithereens** ooopsie daisies :unsure: musta lost it for a sec there

Don't let the comments stop you from posting links to polls, it's not as though you're responsible for the outcome. Polls are meant to stir up debate and stimulate conversation. While they can be fun, it's what an artist and their work mean to us as individuals that's most important. If we all agreed with every entry then that would mean something was horribly wrong.

Can't take these polls too seriously. You summed it up well and is the way I feel about them. :thumbsup:

Archived