ANZAC Day

Reggie29

Once again here in Australia and New Zealand we pause and remember those from all nations, our allies and friends who made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom.

Most of the "Diggers" from WWI and WWII are no longer with us but the memory of their selfless acts will live on.

As pilgrims make their way to old battlefields in Gallipoli, Turkey and Villers - Brettoneux, France prepare for the Dawn Services and pay their respects we give our thanks to the people of those far off lands for keeping and tending to the graves of those who never came home.

To the Turkish people especially who were only defending their homeland and lost thousands of loved ones too, you were a formidable yet honourable foe back then but have become a wonderful and respectful friend ever since.

The fact you have named that stretch of beach ANZAC Cove speaks volumes of your compassion.

Thank you.

"They shall grow not old, as we that are left grow old:

Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn

At the going down of the sun and in the morning

We will remember them."

"We will remember them!"

"Lest We Forget."

I miss my Grandfather (X).

popegypt1916.jpg

Once again here in Australia and New Zealand we pause and remember those from all nations, our allies and friends who made the ultimate sacrifice in the name of freedom.

Most of the "Diggers" from WWI and WWII are no longer with us but the memory of their selfless acts will live on.

As pilgrims make their way to old battlefields in Gallipoli, Turkey and Villers - Brettoneux, France prepare for the Dawn Services and pay their respects we give our thanks to the people of those far off lands for keeping and tending to the graves of those who never came home.

To the Turkish people especially who were only defending their homeland and lost thousands of loved ones too, you were a formidable yet honourable foe back then but have become a wonderful and respectful friend ever since.

The fact you have named that stretch of beach ANZAC Cove speaks volumes of your compassion.

Thank you.

We will remember them."

"We will remember them!"

"Lest We Forget."

I miss my Grandfather (X).

popegypt1916.jpg

What a lovely heart felt Tribute,'Reggie'.

popegypt1916C.jpg

popegypt1916B-1.jpg

Digital photo restorations courtesy of Steve A. Jones

...only took a couple of hours...I may try some other techniques on it when time permits...

Thanx Steve.

That photo was taken in 1916 (cepia) and considering it's 95 years old, it's still in reasonable condition.

• 2 weeks later...

SYDNEY — The last known combat veteran of World War I was defiant of the tolls of time, a centenarian who swam in the sea, twirled across dance floors, and published his first book at 108. He also refused to submit to his place in history, becoming a pacifist who wouldn’t march in parades commemorating wars like the one that made him famous.

Claude Stanley Choules, a man of contradictions, humble spirit and wry humor, died in a Western Australia nursing home Thursday at age 110. And though his accomplishments were many — including a a 41-year military career that spanned two world wars — the man known as "Chuckles" to his comrades in the Australian Navy was happiest being known as a dedicated family man.

"We all loved him," his 84-year-old daughter Daphne Edinger told The Associated Press. "It’s going to be sad to think of him not being here any longer, but that’s the way things go."

• 3 years later...

Tomorrow at dawn on the 25th of April we remember those who made the ultimate sacrifice on that fateful day we invaded Gallipoli (from the Greek word Kallipolis meaning Beautiful City and Çanakkale in Turkish).

A whole generation of Australians, New Zealanders, British, Canadians, Indians, French and many other Commonwealth nations were lost in what turned out to be a mass slaughter, for both sides.

By the time of the "evacuation" and after the bloody 8 month campaign, Allied casualties (dead, wounded, missing and prisoners) were in excess of 187000 and Turkish casualties numbered almost 175000.

In 1934, Mustafa Kamel Ataturk sent this message.

"Those heroes that shed their blood and lost their lives ... .

You are now lying in the soil of a friendly country.

Therefore rest in peace.

There is no difference between the Johnnies and the Mehmets to us where they lie side by side here in this country of ours ...

You, the mothers who sent their sons from faraway countries, wipe away your tears; your sons are now lying in our bosom and are in peace.

After having lost their lives on this land they have become our sons as well."

Bless 'em all.

While it is natural to celebrate victories, it is also important to remember defeats as well.

So as we pay our respects at the many dawn services at RSL clubs around Australia, have a drink and catch up with friends and have a go at Two Up, their sacrifice for our freedom will never go unappreciated.

We will remember them."

"We will remember them!"

"Lest We Forget."

Edited by Reggie29

Wow just amazing! Thanks for posting :)

:drinks:

I attended the ANZAC centenary dawn service today.It was very moving and heartwarming to see so many people of all ages attending to honour the memory of those who have served and also to honour those who serve.

post-1183-0-21876600-1429917142_thumb.jp

:drinks:

I attended the ANZAC centenary dawn service today.It was very moving and heartwarming to see so many people of all ages attending to honour the memory of those who have served and also to honour those who serve.

attachicon.giflest.jpg

I just got back from the Seven Hills Dawn Service.

Up at 4am It's midday now.

The march was 8000 strong that stretched the whole of Boomerang Place!

Sunk a few Schooners and about to watch the Dawn Service televised live from Gallipoli.

Lest We Forget.....

I just got back from the Seven Hills Dawn Service.

Up at 4am It's midday now.

The march was 8000 strong that stretched the whole of Boomerang Place!

Sunk a few Schooners and about to watch the Dawn Service televised live from Gallipoli.

Lest We Forget.....

I caught some of the televised service from Gallipoli but heard most on ABC radio.It's a most emotional day hearing the stories of the men,both young and old and the horror they went through.

On my list is to attend the service in Gallipoli one day.

Lest We Forget

• 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...
  • 11 months later...