Queen Appreciation

johnlennon696

I am mainly making this Queen thread to celebrate my newly found admiration for thier

early work tbh,

Having recently got the 2011 remastered editions of thier first five albums, my god they

were majestic, raw and heavy, having been more familiar with the greatist hits and later stuff

like Want To Break Free etc, i was blown away by some tracks, for example:

Ogre Battle

Son and Daughter

Liar

See What A Fool Ive Been

March Of The Black Queen

The Fairy Fellers' Master Stroke

and of course the known classics Bohemian Rhapsody. We are The Champions, We Will Rock You,

I Want To Break Free,

Get Queen and TURN IT UP!!!!! B)B)

Well, I have always been hoping for a "Queen" thread on this forum and looks like I finally got my wish! :D

Many thanks for starting this thread johnlennon696! Much appreciated! :D

I am a Zep Head but I feel proud to say that Queen is by far my favourite classic rock band of all time.

I love their early works immensely (the stuff from 1973 till about 1980) although albums like "The Game" and "A Kind Of Magic" are really good too! B)

From the album "Queen I", I love tracks like "Liar", "Great King Rat", "Son And Daughter" and even "Jesus" and of course that awesome track sung by Roger Taylor called "Modern Times, Rock And Roll"!

From "Queen II", my absolute favourites include : "White Queen : As It Began", "The March Of The Black Queen", "Ogre Battle", "Funny How Love Is" and "Seven Seas Of Rhye".

From "Sheer Heart Attack", "Brighton Rock", "Flick Of The Wrist", "Misfire", "In The Lap Of The Gods (Revisited)", "Now I'm Here" and "Killer Queen" are my faves.

And I really love "The Prophet's Song", which IMHO is even better than "Bohemian Rhapsody". It is one of the best opera-rock based compositions I've ever come across in my life! I heard that track for the first time just three years ago and I absolutely couldn't believe what I was listening to!

Whatever any one might say, Freddie Mercury was one of the greatest vocalists of all time! B) That man could sing absolutely any genre of music, be it disco (listen to a song like "Fun It" if you don't believe me! ;)) or even opera music! He was truly one of the most versatile singers out there, IMHO! I do believe the music industry suffered a big loss on November 24th, 1991, that's for sure! :(

While I think it's great that people are listening to the band and appreciating them - I agree that they were absolutely fantastic - I must say it's a little annoying when new threads are being made for a very obvious topic like this one. There's been a Queen thread going here ever since three days after these forums opened, right here.

It wouldn't have been hard to find at all if you'd bothered to search, which as a rule you should do, at least with a topic like this one. One of the reasons why this is annoying is that the discussion gets dispersed all over the place, and what people have contributed to it gets lost. So please keep that in mind.

According to me they are the best band of all time.Some crtics didn't like them, mostly because they didn't understand their refined music.

Here are a few songs that are worth listening, and not very well-known:

the first one is called Life is Real and is a tribute to John Lennon, written and sung in the style of the ex Beatle, a very beaitful and moving song

http://ww.youtube.com/watch?v=4AY9N04K5m4

the following one, Iwant it all, is quite famous, but the version below is by far the best of all, the solo is really amazing, brian May at his finest.

My apologies, i should have searched first like i usually do :(

Ill post in that thread now, thanks...

No worries mate! B) If it makes you feel any better, there are two threads here on "The Beatles". One thread is about the band, their music and so on while the other asks posters whether they prefer the "old beatles" or the "new beatles".

And technically, the first thread on "Queen", just asks posters whether they think that the band was overrated or underrated. It sure ain't an appreciation thread! So relax! You did nothing wrong! And again, thanks for starting this thread! :thumbsup:

No worries mate! B) If it makes you feel any better, there are two threads here on "The Beatles". One thread is about the band, their music and so on while the other asks posters whether they prefer the "old beatles" or the "new beatles".

And technically, the first thread on "Queen", just asks posters whether they think that the band was overrated or underrated. It sure ain't an appreciation thread! So relax! You did nothing wrong! And again, thanks for starting this thread! :thumbsup:

What I said wasn't rude. I merely pointed out that it's exactly the same discussion, because it is - the question whether a band is underrated or not, after all, is simply about how it's appreciated. You sometimes get several threads about an artist or band. If that's because the threads deal with different topics to do with these musicians, then it's fine, no problem. For instance there are many different topics about Jimi Hendrix, and I've participated in a few of them myself. If on the other hand you have two or more general threads about an artist or band, it only means the discussion gets unnecessarily fragmented and dispersed, which is hardly a good thing. That's all.

What I said wasn't rude. I merely pointed out that it's exactly the same discussion, because it is - the question whether a band is underrated or not, after all, is simply about how it's appreciated. You sometimes get several threads about an artist or band. If that's because the threads deal with different topics to do with these musicians, then it's fine, no problem. For instance there are many different topics about Jimi Hendrix, and I've participated in a few of them myself. If on the other hand you have two or more general threads about an artist or band, it only means the discussion gets unnecessarily fragmented and dispersed, which is hardly a good thing. That's all.

Hi Otto! :wave:

I'm so sorry that my post gave you the wrong impression! :( What you said wasn't rude at all! No way! In fact, you were just trying to help out by pointing out the guidelines of the forum :) I was just trying to reassure johnlennon696 that's all :) And I'm afraid that I feel that this forum kind of lacked a Queen thread. I know it can get quite tiresome to have 2 or 3 threads on the same topic but I can't help myself, you know? Because Queen happen to be one of my fav bands of all time and I'm a bit crazy about their music! B)

Anyway, while we are on the Queen thread, what's your absolute favourite album by them? I love "Queen II". I do hope you reply. And again, so sorry that my post gave you the wrong idea.

Cheers :peace:

Kiwi

While I think it's great that people are listening to the band and appreciating them - I agree that they were absolutely fantastic - I must say it's a little annoying when new threads are being made for a very obvious topic like this one. There's been a Queen thread going here ever since three days after these forums opened, right here.

I've learned through experience that no matter how polite you are about it, letting someone know they've created a duplicate thread for an identical topic is a very volatile subject, at least that's been my experience on this board. On other boards the Mods will usually delete the duplicate thread or merge it with the existing one. Here, it can be grounds for WW III.

I always liked "News Of The World" but not because of the obvious hits and biggest anthems -- the stomping, stadium-filling chant "We Will Rock You" and its triumphant companion, "We Are the Champions" -- they are great. It's the rest of the album that does it for me. It's hard to define but it's just got a little bit of everything on it that makes it so interesting to me.

It came out late 77 and I would say that in 78 I was listening to this album as much or more than anything else. critics will disagree but it's the album that I think is best and it gives me that "queen fix" when I need it.B)

"Sleeping on the sidewalk........"

I've learned through experience that no matter how polite you are about it, letting someone know they've created a duplicate thread for an identical topic is a very volatile subject, at least that's been my experience on this board. On other boards the Mods will usually delete the duplicate thread or merge it with the existing one. Here, it can be grounds for WW III.

That's unfortunately true.

• 4 months later...

September 5 would have been legendary frontman Freddie Mercury's 65th birthday. To mark the occasion, Queen will stream its historic 1986 concert "Queen Live At Wembley Stadium" for 48 hours on YouTube. The concert can be viewed here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/queenofficial?blend=3&ob=5 . Starts at 12:00 a.m. EST on September 5. This is the first time Queen has allowed an online stream of this watershed moment in the band's career. The concert captures the group's historic July 1986 two-night performance at London's Wembley Stadium, where they gave an electrifying performance to 150,000 frenzied fans. The footage features stunning live renditions of many of Queen's classic songs.

http://www.roadrunnerrecords.com/blabbermouth.net/news.aspx?mode=Article&newsitemID=162790

As good as the 70's material is I have always had a soft spot for later Queen, nobody else did slightly cheesey but heartfelt stadium rock aswell IMHO and the title track from Innuendo is just about the best song I can think of released by a band 20 years into there career.

As good as the 70's material is I have always had a soft spot for later Queen, nobody else did slightly cheesey but heartfelt stadium rock aswell IMHO and the title track from Innuendo is just about the best song I can think of released by a band 20 years into there career.

I'm admittedly not a very big Queen fan but I have to say I agree about Innuendo, particularly the video. I consider it one of the best uses of that artform that I've ever seen.

Archived