Jimmy Page Says...

MrZoSo

I declare--they should re-name this forum the Whinging Corner!

@KDH--I agree with you about the JP site partially satisfying HIS needs. And what might those needs be Dazed Cat might ask? Well it's a fair question. I think the kernel of what the JP site is had its roots in the experience JP had in compiling the book. He is looking over all this material and comes to realize that he has a half century in the biz. Only a fifth of that was with LZ. I think the site is about broadening the perspective of his work. A look at the larger context. For me, it has forced me to reexamine my narrow view of him as a musician, as a sideman, as a promoter, an arranger, and a host of other musical roles. The extended discography alone was eye opening for me--and on some level has to be for him as well.

I have never been a fan of music museums or halls of fame. The vibe of retrospective is dead. But what makes jimmy's retrospective the exception to that rule is the different lens put on the look back. Insight into the folk scene, what it was like to share a bill with Vanilla Fudge, The feel of the Harper Collaboration, 11 minutes of Bow and Theremin in Seattle, Bridging the gap between cultural factions in Morocco, Fleshing out the Yardbirds experience, even the Puff Daddy thing which at the time almost felt like a violation of something sacred to me--it has all been fascinating to me and though old, it has a feeling of freshness to it. I love the site. And I vastly prefer the tone he is building with it to some Zep-centered, pining-for-the-glory-days-hackery. Now before you get your back up--I like zep as much as the next guy (well not as much as the next guy in this forum!). I am not saying Zep was hack. It was forward thinking. It was innovative. It was about finding the spirit of a moment and then riding that spirit and shaping it and moving it around. The JP website is IMO about re-evaluating ALL of the spirits/moments that JP has had a hand in.

I am delighting in seeing JP take pride in so MANY of the projects he has been involved with, and that even in retrospective there is a freshness about Mr. Page. It seems a re-ordering of his and our perspective. It has me listening with fresh ears. If I were Jimmy, and I most certainly am not, and i were about to put out new material, I would want the whinging lot of LZ fans to be listening with fresh ears. I would want my new material to be evaluated on its own. As long as the spirit is fresh and innovative with that man he will have me as a listener.

There are moods left to evoke, and tricks up that sleeve yet. I'd bet my last buck on it. And my favorite Jimmy is the Jimmy that confounds. Confounds all of you. but especially me.

Make me think and feel and experience bigger and better, Mr. Page. Just once more?

:goodpost: :goodpost:

@KDH--I agree with you about the JP site partially satisfying HIS needs. And what might those needs be Dazed Cat might ask? Well it's a fair question. I think the kernel of what the JP site is had its roots in the experience JP had in compiling the book. He is looking over all this material and comes to realize that he has a half century in the biz. Only a fifth of that was with LZ. I think the site is about broadening the perspective of his work. A look at the larger context. For me, it has forced me to reexamine my narrow view of him as a musician, as a sideman, as a promoter, an arranger, and a host of other musical roles. The extended discography alone was eye opening for me--and on some level has to be for him as well.

I have never been a fan of music museums or halls of fame. The vibe of retrospective is dead. But what makes jimmy's retrospective the exception to that rule is the different lens put on the look back. Insight into the folk scene, what it was like to share a bill with Vanilla Fudge, The feel of the Harper Collaboration, 11 minutes of Bow and Theremin in Seattle, Bridging the gap between cultural factions in Morocco, Fleshing out the Yardbirds experience, even the Puff Daddy thing which at the time almost felt like a violation of something sacred to me--it has all been fascinating to me and though old, it has a feeling of freshness to it. I love the site. And I vastly prefer the tone he is building with it to some Zep-centered, pining-for-the-glory-days-hackery. Now before you get your back up--I like zep as much as the next guy (well not as much as the next guy in this forum!). I am not saying Zep was hack. It was forward thinking. It was innovative. It was about finding the spirit of a moment and then riding that spirit and shaping it and moving it around. The JP website is IMO about re-evaluating ALL of the spirits/moments that JP has had a hand in.

I am delighting in seeing JP take pride in so MANY of the projects he has been involved with, and that even in retrospective there is a freshness about Mr. Page. It seems a re-ordering of his and our perspective. It has me listening with fresh ears. If I were Jimmy, and I most certainly am not, and i were about to put out new material, I would want the whinging lot of LZ fans to be listening with fresh ears. I would want my new material to be evaluated on its own. As long as the spirit is fresh and innovative with that man he will have me as a listener.

There are moods left to evoke, and tricks up that sleeve yet. I'd bet my last buck on it. And my favorite Jimmy is the Jimmy that confounds. Confounds all of you. but especially me.

Make me think and feel and experience bigger and better, Mr. Page. Just once more?

Very eloquently put, Chap!

Hi Chap!

Most of your post I agree with and I respect anyone's opinion regarding the music. I hope he does produce new music, I'll be the first in line. If he does not it's his choice. I have followed his and all of their solo careers for four decades...and I hope a few more. With that said, like a few on here it is alarming at some of the incorrect dates that have been listed and personally I feel there are people who care enough that they want to get it right. This forum alone has a few members who go through a lot of research and put in a tremendous amount of time to post things and uncover things to make sure they are correct.

Their music has always brought me into other music that I probably would have never discovered. I still have faith in Jimmy and like you I believe he still has something to give. But never question the loyalty because we expect his official website to be correct. :peace:

Agreed on the Jeff Martin stuff, I thought that would be an interesting collaboration...

It really is annoying that Page and Martin may have recorded a dozen songs which are completed, but sitting in a vault somewhere. If Jimmy is reading this, please release those songs, and go out and tour with The Tea Party - it might be fun for not only us the fans, but for you as well!!

@KDH--I agree with you about the JP site partially satisfying HIS needs. And what might those needs be Dazed Cat might ask? Well it's a fair question. I think the kernel of what the JP site is had its roots in the experience JP had in compiling the book. He is looking over all this material and comes to realize that he has a half century in the biz. Only a fifth of that was with LZ. I think the site is about broadening the perspective of his work.

Yes exactly. I'm don't care about unreleased live Zeppelin or anything Zeppelin related really, what I was hoping for is exactly what you describe............the other stuff then and now. There isn't any. Musicians make music. They usually don't start websites for self therapy sessions.

Archiving your life is fine but when you make music, that has to be a part of it too. It isn't there at all. I remain very disappointed.

Flame away.

It really is annoying that Page and Martin may have recorded a dozen songs which are completed, but sitting in a vault somewhere. If Jimmy is reading this, please release those songs, and go out and tour with The Tea Party - it might be fun for not only us the fans, but for you as well!!

A dozen recorded songs completed and sitting in a vault? This April 2010 interview with Jeff Martin doesn't seem to suggest that at all:

Q: I’ve read that you’re lucky enough to call Jimmy Page a friend. Has there ever been talk of collaboration?

A: There have been moments in the past, but the man is very busy and he’s the keeper of the flame as far as the Zeppelin legacy is concerned. I just have all the respect in the world for him and he knows perfectly well that if he ever needed anything from me, it’s just a ‘phone call away.

Q: You haven’t been tempted to try and fly him over here for one of your own records?

A: (Laughs) See, the thing about Jimmy now is that he’s a big family man. So he’s a busy boy.

If I remember correctly Michael Lee was involved too and he slipped in an interview and called the collaboration "the real new Led Zeppelin", a little tongue in cheek I'm sure but nonetheless he was excited about it. Is there a pattern of young drummers opening their mouths and Jimmy pulling the plug? :-)

Those rumors inspired me to investigate the Tea Party and buy The Kingdom, Martin's solo project with Lee. I was really impressed, he's an outstanding musician and obviously graduated the Page School of world music influences in a hard rock vein...

01. Apr 2011

Management von Jimmy Page: Es wird ein Album und eine Tour geben

Besteht nun Hoffnung oder nicht im Hause Led Zeppelin ? Das wüssten nicht nur Fans gerne. Doch auch das neue Statement aus dem Management von Jimmy Page (Gitarre) bringt nicht viel Licht ins Dunkel.

John Paul Jones und Jimmy Page würden es lieben, gemeinsam auf der Bühne zu stehen, meinte das Management des Gitarristen jetzt. Led Zeppelin würden sicherlich irgendwann ein neues Album und eine Tour zusammenbringen. Allerdings müsste die Sänger-Situation geklärt werden.

So weit nichts Neues. Problematisch bleibt, dass sich Sänger Robert Plant weiterhin fern hält von solchen Plänen. Es gibt zwar Gerüchte, dass Steven Tyler von Aerosmith oder Chris Cornell bei Led Zep singen werden, aber das ist natürlich momentan nichts weiter als Spekulation.

Immerhin, so das Management weiter, hätten die drei Led Zeppelin Musiker John Paul Jones (Bass), Jimmy Page und Schlagzeuger Jason Bonham eine gute Zeit bei den Proben gehabt – bis Sänger Robert Plant kam. Die Grundlage für eine Fortsetzung der Karriere bleibe also bestehen. Nur mit wem das große Erbe final weiter getragen werden wird, ist immer noch offen.

http://www.metal-hammer.de/news/meldungen/article88724/Management-von-Jimmy-Page-Es-wird-ein-Album-und-eine-Tour-geben.html

This is a german article from April 2011. Maybe you can understand it a bit.

I agree--Jimmy is moving at his own pace. Stop bugging him about new music.

Really? Jimmy Page has always been a recluse in his personal life and with his music post Zeppelin. You think that a web site will change him? Everyone needs to dial back their expectations. Stop being selfish. Good Lord, just accept that he is moving forward, stop with the "oh, he needs to put out music" bullshit. Let him work at his pace. The world will not change if he releases new music or not. Stop the unneeded criticism. This is major step forward for Jimmy Page. Accept that. Everything else will happen in due time. He is playing music. He has shown in person that he is playing music. WTF you want, a hours worth of new music. News Flash - IT AIN'T GONNA HAPPEN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dated April Fools Day...

German to English translation

Management of Jimmy Page: There will be an album and a tour

Now there is hope in the hom

e or not Led Zeppelin? The fans just did not know you. But the new statement from the management of Jimmy Page (guitar) brings not much light into the darkness.

John Paul Jones and Jimmy Page would love to be together on stage, said the management of the guitarist now. Led Zeppelin would surely bring together some time a new album and a tour. However, should the situation be clarified singer.

So far nothing new. The problem is that singer Robert Plant continues to hold away from such plans. While there are rumors sing that Steven Tyler of Aerosmith and Chris Cornell with Led Zep, but they are of course that is currently nothing more than speculation.

After all, the management continues, the three musicians Led Zeppelin John Paul Jones (bass) would have had Jimmy Page and drummer Jason Bonham have a good time at rehearsals - came up singer Robert Plant. The basis for continued career remain so. Only with whom the great legacy is carried on final, is still open.

01. Apr 2011

Management von Jimmy Page: Es wird ein Album und eine Tour geben

Besteht nun Hoffnung oder nicht im Hause Led Zeppelin ? Das wüssten nicht nur Fans gerne. Doch auch das neue Statement aus dem Management von Jimmy Page (Gitarre) bringt nicht viel Licht ins Dunkel.

John Paul Jones und Jimmy Page würden es lieben, gemeinsam auf der Bühne zu stehen, meinte das Management des Gitarristen jetzt. Led Zeppelin würden sicherlich irgendwann ein neues Album und eine Tour zusammenbringen. Allerdings müsste die Sänger-Situation geklärt werden.

So weit nichts Neues. Problematisch bleibt, dass sich Sänger Robert Plant weiterhin fern hält von solchen Plänen. Es gibt zwar Gerüchte, dass Steven Tyler von Aerosmith oder Chris Cornell bei Led Zep singen werden, aber das ist natürlich momentan nichts weiter als Spekulation.

Immerhin, so das Management weiter, hätten die drei Led Zeppelin Musiker John Paul Jones (Bass), Jimmy Page und Schlagzeuger Jason Bonham eine gute Zeit bei den Proben gehabt – bis Sänger Robert Plant kam. Die Grundlage für eine Fortsetzung der Karriere bleibe also bestehen. Nur mit wem das große Erbe final weiter getragen werden wird, ist immer noch offen.

http://www.metal-ham...Tour-geben.html

This is a german article from April 2011. Maybe you can understand it a bit.

• 1 month later...

Rumor or news?

I have found a guy on facebook, called Phangan Charlie, who has met Jimmy Page in Thailand. They talked each other, and then Jimmy said to him "He mentioned he was in the studio creating some new music."

Yes I had asked him this yesterday as he was on Jimmy Page.com's facebook page. I sure hope this is the case.

Archived