Fast Times At Ridgemont High

Brad Hamilton

Fast Times Poll  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your favorite character in "Fast Times At Ridgemont High"?

• Brad Hamilton
    • Jeff Spicoli
    • Mark "Rat" Ratner
    • Stacy Hamilton
    • Mr. Hand
    • Linda Barett
    • Mike Damone
    • Mr. Vargas
  2. 2. What was the best line in the film?

• Jeff Spicoli: People on 'ludes should not drive!
    • Mike Damone:... And five, now this is the most important, Rat. When it comes down to making out, whenever possible, put on side one of Led Zeppelin IV.
    • Mr. Hand: What are you, people? On dope?
    • Brad Hamilton: Jeez. Doesn't anyone fucking knock anymore?
    • Jeff Spicoli: Heading over to the Australian and Hawaiian internationals, and then me and Mick are going to wing on over to London and jam with the Stones!
    • Brad Hamilton: I shall serve no fries before their time.
    • Mike Damone: You are a wuss: part wimp, and part pussy.
    • Jeff Spicoli: All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine
    • Stacy Hamilton: When a guy has an orgasm, how much comes out?
    • Linda Barrett: A quart or so.
    • Brad Hamilton: Mister, if you don't shut up I'm gonna kick one hundred percent of your ass!
    • Jeff Spicoli: Well Stu I'll tell you, surfing's not a sport, it's a way of life, you know, a hobby. It's a way of looking at that wave and saying, "Hey bud, let's party!"

Hey anyone else a fan of this film? I can't believe it's been almost 30 years since it came out.

I thought some people might want to discuss this film written by a big Zeppelin fan. I believe this was the first film where Jimmy and Robert allowed one of thier songs to be included in the soundtrack.

I love the film, it always brings a smile to my face and good memories of "good times"

This movie is for those 17 years and older. It's been a while since I've watched this film, but I recall the scene in the ice cream shop at the beginning, specifically the striped uniforms worn by the waitresses.

Okay, it will take me a while to read the script. I'll have to think about this one.:Thinking:

I like this line spoken by 15 year old Stacy, the new trainee.

Stacy goes to Ron's table.

RON

So you working hard or hardly

working?

Stacy thinks it over, decides it's a joke and

laughs (a little too late). Ron looks at her

soulfully.

RON (CONT'D)

You look like you could still be in

high school.

STACY

I know, everyone says that.

:lol:

And this passage is humorous.

Two Junior High Kids spot Damone, walk up to him.

DAMONE (CONT'D)

What can I do for you, gentlemen?

JUNIOR HIGH KID #1

You the guy with the Van Halen

tickets?

DAMONE

I could be.

JUNIOR HIGH KID #2

What do you want for something in

the first ten rows?

DAMONE

Twenty bucks apiece.

JUNIOR HIGH KID #1

Those tickets were only twelve

fifty!

DAMONE

So don't buy 'em.

JUNIOR HIGH KID #2

(to friend)

All the other scalpers are sold

out, Arnold.

Damone reacts indignantly.

DAMONE

Scalper? You call me a scalper? I

perform a service, my friends. The

service costs money. Now do you

want the tickets or not?

The Kids look at each other.

JUNIOR HIGH KID #1

Are you sure you can't go any

lower.

DAMONE

These are my special back-to-school

prices.

Stacy is hilarious.

LINDA

Face it. With some guys you have to

make the first move. A lot of guys

are just... wussies.

STACY

Really?

Edited by Silver Rider

Hey anyone else a fan of this film? I can't believe it's been almost 30 years since it came out.

I thought some people might want to discuss this film written by a big Zeppelin fan. I believe this was the first film where Jimmy and Robert allowed one of thier songs to be included in the soundtrack.

I love the film, it always brings a smile to my face and good memories of "good times"

It seems that You and I have similiar tastes in t.v. shows and movies. (So far).

Of course Cameron Crowe was and is a big Led Zeppelin fan and protaganist for Led Zeppelin in his interviews and reviews of the Band's music. However, I do not think that Jimmy and Robert actually allowed "Kashmir" to be included in the movie. I believe that "Kashmir" was included in the movie because back in 1982, actual licensing of a bands songs or music was fairly new and not like it is today where movie studios have to have actual permission from the songwriters to include their songs in movies (or video games) and pay out royalties to said artists. "Kashmir" is only played in the movie for about 5 - 10 seconds when Rat and Stacy go out on their first date. It was not a song that was included on the actual soundtrack.

Enough of the semantics. I could be wrong.

It seems that You and I have similiar tastes in t.v. shows and movies. (So far).

Of course Cameron Crowe was and is a big Led Zeppelin fan and protaganist for Led Zeppelin in his interviews and reviews of the Band's music. However, I do not think that Jimmy and Robert actually allowed "Kashmir" to be included in the movie. I believe that "Kashmir" was included in the movie because back in 1982, actual licensing of a bands songs or music was fairly new and not like it is today where movie studios have to have actual permission from the songwriters to include their songs in movies (or video games) and pay out royalties to said artists. "Kashmir" is only played in the movie for about 5 - 10 seconds when Rat and Stacy go out on their first date. It was not a song that was included on the actual soundtrack.

Enough of the semantics. I could be wrong.

It seems that someone at Swan Song allowed the use of the song.

"Kashmir"

Performed by Led Zeppelin

Written by Jimmy Page (uncredited) & Robert Plant (uncredited) with John Bonham (uncredited)

Courtesy of Swan Song, Inc.

imdb.com/title/tt0083929/soundtrack

Kashmir was allowed for use in the film and only because Crowe, a trusted confidant, had asked. It was not included on the soundtrack album.

Fast Times at Ridgemont Hight is a five star comedy classic and an all-time favorite of mine. The casting is spot on and the script is superb.

For me of course the scene of Asian starlet Phoebe Cates exiting the pool ranks among the top 100 moments in film history.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqMIfeTc-CM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DX56ToXw-94&feature=related

It seems that someone at Swan Song allowed the use of the song.

imdb.com/title/tt0083929/soundtrack

That is a fair assessment, however, do you think that Jimmy, Robert, John Paul or someone at Swan Song allowed the use of "Communication Breakdown" in the movie "Small Soldiers"? As far as I can recollect, "Communication Breakdown" is played in full in this movie when the Small Soldiers are at War with each other in a bedroom (or something like that). I will admit that I have never seen this whole movie in its entirety, but I am positive that Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown" is played sometime in this movie.

Just because a Led Zeppelin song is played in a movie does that mean that it was actually "approved" by them? Does anyone really think that Page/Plant/Jones would give consent to one of their classic songs to be used in a movie that they probably have never heard of or even seen? Maybe, probably not.

Edited by lzzoso

That is a fair assessment, however, do you think that Jimmy, Robert, John Paul or someone at Swan Song allowed the use of "Communication Breakdown" in the movie "Small Soldiers"? As far as I can recollect, "Communication Breakdown" is played in full in this movie when the Small Soldiers are at War with each other in a bedroom (or something like that). I will admit that I have never seen this whole movie in its entirety, but I am positive that Led Zeppelin's "Communication Breakdown" is played sometime in this movie.

Just because a Led Zeppelin song is played in a movie does that mean that it was actually "approved" by them? Does anyone really think that Page/Plant/Jones would give consent to one of their classic songs to be used in a movie that they probably have never heard of or even seen? Maybe, probably not.

I think you are going off-topic. Suffice to say CB for Toy Soldiers was approved. They began relaxing their restrictions on the use of their music in films as the 90s rolled on. The only film I can think of that used their music without permission and got called out for it was Schooly D's track 'Signifying Rapper' (which sampled Kashmir) for a rape scene in the film the Bad Lieutenant. Led Zeppelin sucessfully sued Schooly D and the song was omitted from the soundtrack of the film and from subsequent releases of the film. You could say he got, erm, schooled.

Edited by SteveAJones

I think you are going off-topic. Suffice to say CB for Toy Soldiers was approved. They began relaxing their restrictions on the use of their music in films as the 90s rolled on. The only film I can think of that used their music without permission and got called out for it was Schooly D's track

'Signifying Rapper' (which sampled Kashmir) for a rape scene in the film the Bad Lieutenant. Led Zeppelin sucessfully sued Schooly D and the song was omitted from the soundtrack of the film and from subsequent releases of the film. You could say he got, erm, schooled.

I really do not want to get into a "fued" about all this but can you tell me who actually "approved" the use of "Communication Breakdown" in the movie, "Small Soldiers"? (Jimmy, Robert, Jonesy, Peter Grant?). And I really do not believe that I am going off-topic because I think this is related to the use of Led Zeppelin songs in any movie, starting with "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

If "Led Zeppelin" really began relaxing the use of "their" music as the 90's rolled on, why is it that Jack Black had to literally "beg" LZ in front of a more than grateful audience to be able to use "Immigrant Song" in the movie, "School of Rock" which was produced in 2003 and featured in the "bonus" material on the dvd?

What about the movie, "Dazed and Confused". Other than the title there is not one Led Zeppelin song played or heard anywhere in this movie, circa 1993. I have read that the director, Richard Linklater sought permission to use one or more Led Zeppelin songs in this movie and he was turned down flat. How is that relaxing their musical restrictions some as the 90's rolled around and came and went?

By the way, "Bad Lieutenant" is an awesome movie. Harvey Keitel is just about up the in the acting "echelon" of Bobby D. and Big Al.

Edited by lzzoso

I really do not want to get into a "fued" about all this but can you tell me who actually "approved" the use of "Communication Breakdown" in the movie, "Small Soldiers"? (Jimmy, Robert, Jonesy, Peter Grant?). And I really do not believe that I am going off-topic because I think this is related to the use of Led Zeppelin songs in any movie, starting with "Fast Times at Ridgemont High".

If "Led Zeppelin" really began relaxing the use of "their" music as the 90's rolled on, why is it that Jack Black had to literally "beg" LZ in front of a more than grateful audience to be able to use "Immigrant Song" in the movie, "School of Rock" which was produced in 2003 and featured in the "bonus" material on the dvd?

What about the movie, "Dazed and Confused". Other than the title there is not one Led Zeppelin song played or heard anywhere in this movie, circa 1993. I have read that the director, Richard Linklater sought permission to use one or more Led Zeppelin songs in this movie and he was turned down flat. How is that relaxing their musical restrictions some as the 90's rolled around and came and went?

You are going off topic because this thread concerns one specific film and not the broad topic of the licensing of Led Zeppelin music for film and television. By way of analogy, in this film a Chevy Camaro dominates at least two scenes, but if I were to repeatedly post concerning Chevy Camaros in general (not that I'd want to) I'd run the risk of going off topic.

If you use the search function on "Linklater", "Jack Black", "Moonlight Mile" you'll undoubtedly find I've already discussed the licensing Led Zeppelin's music for films a few times before. Tonight I said they began relaxing their restrictions as the '90s rolled on, and that's true. I mean hell, by 2003 Black Dog was in a Cadillac commercial for crying out loud. I didn't say every proposal was adopted. Linklater did try to get Led Zeppelin music for Dazed And Confused but ultimately (meaning not immediately) it was denied. Five years later (1998) Small Soldiers was released with CB licensed for the film AND the soundtrack. The kid's room in the film has LZ posters on the walls so call it product placement for a new generation, or Jimmy's son (Kashmir with Puff Daddy was used in the Godzilla film released the same year for him), or whatever you'd like, or not. Anyway, Peter Grant had nothing to do with the Small Soldiers licensing deal (he passed away in 1995 but besides that the last band-related business deal he got directly involved in was negotiating Robert's solo deal with Atlantic Records).

I don't want to cover film licensing anymore. It's boring.

$(KGrHqEOKi8E2CmSiS6UBN)w00ogHg~~_12.JPG

Edited by SteveAJones

Silver Rider, the opening scene with Stacy takes place at Perry's Pizza, not an ice cream parlor.

And Steve, wasn't it Rock and Roll used in the Cadillac ad, not Black Dog?

Ok, enough with the nitpicking...

If there's any movie I've seen almost as much as The Song Remains the Same(93 times in the theatre alone), it's Fast Times at Ridgemont High. I spent the 70's reading Cameron Crowe's pieces in Rolling Stone and the L.A. Times. I remember reading Fast Times in Rolling Stone, and even have a 1st edition of the book.

But I don't think anyone was expecting the impact the movie had...Cameron Crowe(screenplay) and Amy Heckerling(director) were non-entities in Hollywood and the cast was full of young unknowns. The most recognizable faces in the cast were Ray Walston, Nancy Wilson, and Vincent Schiavelli.

Of course, the movie's release soon changed that, as almost all the cast members went on to have careers in film, the most prominent being Sean Penn and Jennifer Jason Leigh.

And Phoebe Cates...oh Phoebe Cates. I don't think there's a man between 40-50 years old that doesn't remember the first time he saw that epic, ICONIC scene at the pool that Steve has kindly posted above.

Of course, seeing it on youtube or video is one thing...but Phoebe Cates on a 60-foot screen is the stuff of legends.

So many memories tied to this movie...and so many quotable lines. And it's an "American" movie, meaning you really have to be American to get the cultural subtext. I know this because I saw this movie twice with European crowds, one German and the other French, and there weren't as many laughs as you would get with an American audience. Some of the cultural references went over their heads, and that whole world of "high school and malls" was alien to them.

But it remains an American comedy classic, and one I hope succeeding generations discover as well.

"People on LUDES should not drive." ~ Jeff Spicoli

"I hope you had a HELLUVA piss, Arnold!" ~ Brad Hamilton

And Steve, wasn't it Rock and Roll used in the Cadillac ad, not Black Dog?

Yes, for Cadillac's Break Through advertising campaign, which was intended to use The Door's Break On Through but Cadillac couldn't get the premission to use that so they negotiated to get a Led Zeppelin song instead.

Deleted scene with another reference to Led Zeppelin:

Hi all,

IMHO,not at the time it was released,the world was a different place.It is a slice of America and a wonderful -time capsule- of that,...

Case in point: I had a friend who was 15 years younger than I.We watched 'Dazed and Confused' one night,he turned to me and said:

"Was it really %*&^%$# like that?" ;)

"Yep"

"I wish I was older!I missed a lot of stuff!" :lol:

KB

Teen-age angst may be universal, but the way it's expressed frequently depends on cultural mores. One reason Quadrophenia isn't hard for an American to understand is that the Mods were a clique that had interests an American could relate to: R & B, scooters, girls and drugs.

But lots of American teen flicks of the 70's just didn't travel well across the pond...American Graffiti, Van Nuys Blvd., Hollywood Knights...and the primary reason is the lack of a "cruising" scene. When I was in Europe, the teen-age friends I had didn't see getting a driver's license as a big deal, whereas in America, every kid can't wait til they're 16 and can be FREE!

For that is what the car signifies in American culture: freedom. The ability to just pick up and go...go anywhere. Away from your parents. Away from school. Away from work. Away from your worries.

That's why so many European cars were ugly, tiny, boxy, utilitarian things, while American cars grew ever fanciful. Cars were often the repositories of our dreams and aspirations.

Whereas just about every town in the US had a local car scene, the whole hot-rodding thing didn't exist in Europe. Oh sure, Europeans love their racing, F1, motorcycles, etc., but the idea of going down to the junkyard or used car lot, and buying an old 55 Chevy or 32 Ford or 66 Mustang, and building her up, piece by piece, into a road-chewing beast, is an idea foreign to most non-American cultures.

Notice I said most...I'm well aware of the Japanese car scene, and I even met a cat in Heidelberg, who was obsessed with Detroit muscle, and had bought several already and had them shipped overseas.

But the American high school rituals of Friday night football games and cruising the strip afterwards and on Saturdays don't exist in most places.

That said, and as much as I love "Fast Times...", a couple of things still stick in my craw when I watch the movie.

The Point. I realize the San Fernando Valley is not a hotbed of cultural sophistication, but are you telling me The Point was the best place those kids could find to make-out? Hell, I went to high school in Riverside, which was a hick town in the 70's. But even there, we had Make-out Mountain, where you could park and neck with the glittering lights of the Inland Empire below. Or there was the Grove, which was this secluded creek area near an orange grove, where lots of impromptu keggers happened.

But to take a girl to some dirty old baseball dugout to score? No matter how much of a sexist, horny wolf I might have been when I was younger, I would NEVER subject a girl to that, virgin or otherwise.

What makes it WORSE, the Pacific Stereo dude takes Stacy there! Dude, you got a job and your own place, theoretically...but even if you don't, spring for a motel fer chrissakes. I mean, she gave you her cherry and all you gave her was splinters in her back.

Gauche, man...totally gauche.

There's no mention of any acknowledgement by the record company on IMDB. When I checked Amazon the soundtrack release does not include Communication Breakdown, so no permission there.

"Communication Breakdown"

Performed by Led Zeppelin

imdb.com/title/tt0122718/soundtrack

Silver Rider, the opening scene with Stacy takes place at Perry's Pizza, not an ice cream parlor.

I was reading from the script. I haven't noticed any scenes at Perry's Pizza yet, only Swenson's Ice Cream, Carl's Junior, Mr. Hand's History Class and so on. Checking the film locations, there is no mention of Swenson's, only the All-American Burger place and Perry's Pizza. My guess is that the script called for Swenson's Ice Cream but that part of the script was filmed on location at Perry's Pizza, Garden Grove, California. Jennifer Jason Leigh acted the role of Stacy Hamilton.

imsdb.com/scripts/Fast-Times-at-Ridgemont-High

Perry’s Pizza was real and Jennifer Jason Leigh, in true Method fashion, took a job here as preparation for her role.

movie-locations.com/movies/f/fasttimes

eatinoc.com/oc-food-reviews/perrys-pizza-garden-grove

FADE IN:

EXT. RIDGEMONT CENTER MALL - NIGHT

From the outside parking lot it looks like an

enormous beached whale. It is the prime hangout for

all the teenagers in the area. Kids mill around the

parking lot or stand by the mall entrance.

INT. RIDGEMONT CENTER MALL

There are three levels of stores underneath a

massive fluorescent roof. Different music comes

from each store. It looks seventies-modern, but

already used and run-down. Groups of kids cruise

the mall, eyeing each other and acting cool.

INT. SWENSON'S ICE-CREAM PARLOR - NIGHT

The teenage waitresses in their peppermint pattie

uniforms are rushing around, trying to keep up with

their orders.

A good-looking man in his mid-twenties enters and

sits. He wears a plastic name tag that says:

"Pacific Stereo Audio Consultant, RON JOHNSON."

Two Swenson's Waitresses pass by with supreme

indifference, and take their orders into the back

kitchen.

Edited by Silver Rider

^^^

As any screenwriter can tell you, what's on the page and what makes it onto the screen aren't always the same.

Swensons, Carl's Jr., All-American Burger...those are all Southern California specific locations. Who knows why they didn't use Swenson's or Carl's, Jr in the film.

More location trivia...all the All-American Burgers are gone now. The last one left, on Sunset blvd. near where Hugh Grant got caught with that hooker, finally closed last year. Carls Jr. is still going strong, but Swensons bit the dust long ago in the 90's.

Oh, and Ridgemont is a fictional place, but they used the Sherman Oaks Galleria for the interior scenes at the mall. Alas, the Sherman Oaks Galleria, while technically still there, is much different from what it used to be.

^^^

As any screenwriter can tell you, what's on the page and what makes it onto the screen aren't always the same.

Swensons, Carl's Jr., All-American Burger...those are all Southern California specific locations. Who knows why they didn't use Swenson's or Carl's, Jr in the film.

More location trivia...all the All-American Burgers are gone now. The last one left, on Sunset blvd. near where Hugh Grant got caught with that hooker, finally closed last year. Carls Jr. is still going strong, but Swensons bit the dust long ago in the 90's.

Oh, and Ridgemont is a fictional place, but they used the Sherman Oaks Galleria for the interior scenes at the mall. Alas, the Sherman Oaks Galleria, while technically still there, is much different from what it used to be.

I heard about that, but Swenson's has revived it seems, back in business.

‘Ridgemont High’ is a combination of two valley schools: Canoga Park High School, 6850 Topanga Canyon Boulevard at Vanowen Street, and Van Nuys High School, 6535 Cedros Avenue

movie-locations.com/movies/f/fasttimes

Not boring. Presenting the hottest video ever produced:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iegrRDeI2Tc&feature=related

In the DVD commentary, director Amy Heckerling tells of how Phoebe Cates was initially reluctant to carry out her character's poolside topless scene at the house in West Hills) because she thought the neighbors might be spying on the set from the surrounding rooftops.

source: wiki

Edited by Silver Rider

Wow, I had no idea Swensen's was still around. Although, if they are still in LA, they're doing a good job of hiding. All the old Swensen's I remember in Santa Monica, Westwood and Hollywood are all gone. Haagen Dazs and Penguins wiped them out.

Even when I'm in San Francisco I don't notice any Swensen's. Can't really recall how good they were and where they stand in relation to Haagen Dazs, Baskin-Robbins, Coldstone Creamery, Fosselman's, etc.

Yes, for Cadillac's Break Through advertising campaign, which was intended to use The Door's Break On Through but Cadillac couldn't get the premission to use that so they negotiated to get a Led Zeppelin song instead.

Deleted scene with another reference to Led Zeppelin:

Steve,This scene wasn't part of the theatrical release but is in the edited version (sans profanity and sex)shown on regular TV and cable. Not for your HBOs etc. It was on over this past weekend on the G4 Network.