Strider Takes His GF To Led Zeppelin And Loses Her To Robert.

You're welcome ZepRex...and it makes me happy that I was able to affect you in that way. For that was my intent with these recent posts of mine...to really give you and others who weren't able to see Led Zeppelin(not counting Page & Plant and the O2 show) in concert a totally gonzo and detailed(or as detailed as I could get) description of those 1973 concerts. And to allow those who WERE at those shows to take a trip down memory lane as well, and maybe trigger their own memories and stories.

My inspiration for finally writing these concert reviews(besides hospital confinement) was reading so many books like Stephen Davis' LZ '75...where the emphasis on Zeppelin seemed to be more on what was going on around the band and less on the actual concert. I went to a Led Zeppelin concert because they created sounds and feelings in my head and heart that no other band of the time could. I didn't even know, much less care, about the groupies and smashed hotel rooms at that time.

The optimum way to read these 1973 posts would be to cue up the respective bootleg for each show: Bonzo's Birthday Party, Kezar Stadium, and the Three Days After boots....and listen to them while reading. And you could look at David Zoso's photo threads for visual stimulation.

Of course, this still wouldn't come close to the total effect of a Led Zeppelin concert....but hopefully it'll be close enough.

I didn't even see them at the O2, let alone when they had reunions before for LiveAid or any other occasions..I'm relatively new to this Zeppelin thing..I know very very little about the band, let alone details of tours, concerts etc..I'm barely getting through all the photo threads lol..So this recollection is everso special for me as I kinda feel the same way as you did when you attended the concert when I'm watching them now on Youtube or on DVD..the energy, charisma and specialness of Led Zep even gets across via DVD u know^^ I could go on for hours and hours, but I don't wanna rubbish this thread^^

I don't have any bootlegs, I'm just starting to buy the albums now, so the real real basics..As you see, I'm really green when it comes to this Zeppelin world. None of my parents listened to them so I have to start from zero..It's gonna be time-consuming and costly, but Zep means a lot to me so it's worth it in the end^^

I didn't even see them at the O2, let alone when they had reunions before for LiveAid or any other occasions..I'm relatively new to this Zeppelin thing..I know very very little about the band, let alone details of tours, concerts etc..I'm barely getting through all the photo threads lol..So this recollection is everso special for me as I kinda feel the same way as you did when you attended the concert when I'm watching them now on Youtube or on DVD..the energy, charisma and specialness of Led Zep even gets across via DVD u know^^ I could go on for hours and hours, but I don't wanna rubbish this thread^^

I don't have any bootlegs, I'm just starting to buy the albums now, so the real real basics..As you see, I'm really green when it comes to this Zeppelin world. None of my parents listened to them so I have to start from zero..It's gonna be time-consuming and costly, but Zep means a lot to me so it's worth it in the end^^

Welcome to the boards ZepRex. A lot of good info to be found here on the various threads and from many of us members. Don't be shy to ask as we all have a love for Led Zeppelin. They can never have too many fans and always welcome a new one. :thumbsup:

Hats off To Strider!

Enjoyed all 3 stories!

Look forward to reading your account of the June 21, 1977 concert in the next week or so, as we head towards the 34th anniversary of that LA Forum show!

Hahaha...ummm, about that June 21 post...you may have to wait a while for that, as my schedule is pretty busy the next week or so. Lying around a hospital bed was good for catching up on sleep and reminiscing. But I'm way behind on work.

You might have to wait until 2012 when I do a 35th anniversary post. Hmmm, it will also be the 40th anniversary of the 1972 shows. I better start preparing soon.

Okay, this is a CALL-OUT, a plea to Silver Rider, Hotplant, MadScreamingGallery, or ANYONE that was at the June 3, 1973 LA Forum concert.

It may have got lost in the shuffle in all that grey, but there was a question buried in my review post. As my attention was focused elsewhere at the time, what happened during Thank You that caused that second huge roar?

Anybody who was there have any idea? Did Silver Rider streak across the stage?

Okay, this is a CALL-OUT, a plea to Silver Rider, Hotplant, MadScreamingGallery, or ANYONE that was at the June 3, 1973 LA Forum concert.

It may have got lost in the shuffle in all that grey, but there was a question buried in my review post. As my attention was focused elsewhere at the time, what happened during Thank You that caused that second huge roar?

No, I was probably either hanging out in the parking lot of the Forum and/or at the Hyatt on June 3rd.

Edited by Silver Rider

No, I was probably either hanging out in the parking lot of the Forum and/or at the Hyatt on June 3rd.

Sorry, I can't help you with that Strider - as with Silver Rider, by 1973 we had learned to leave the venues early, before the encores, so we could race back to the hotels in order to be there before the Zep guys arrived.

Sorry, I can't help you with that Strider - as with Silver Rider, by 1973 we had learned to leave the venues early, before the encores, so we could race back to the hotels in order to be there before the Zep guys arrived.

:lol: If I had a ticket for that night I would have stayed for the encore. But it made more sense to head back to the Hyatt early on that night.

Ah, but our feeling was: what are a couple of encore songs compared to seeing the Zep guys up close, flush with a post-concert high? ;)

Understandably. And even without a ticket, I couldn't go home while Zeppelin was playing a concert. So the Hyatt became a very sensible option. Their coffee shop had great pancakes with maple syrup and that was all I needed.

Understandably. And even without a ticket, I couldn't go home while Zeppelin was playing a concert. So the Hyatt became a very sensible option. Their coffee shop had great pancakes with maple syrup and that was all I needed.

I was only there for a few days as I wasn't a local or a "regular." I do remember it well and fondly despite the fact that my friends and I felt as if we had been delivered into some sort of Fellini-esque universe. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to sample the pancakes.

I was only there for a few days as I wasn't a local or a "regular." I do remember it well and fondly despite the fact that my friends and I felt as if we had been delivered into some sort of Fellini-esque universe. Unfortunately, I never had a chance to sample the pancakes.

That's too bad, MSG, as Silver Rider is spot on...their pancakes hit the spot. At that time, the only other places in LA with better pancakes was Du-Par's and Ben Franks.

That's too bad, MSG, as Silver Rider is spot on...their pancakes hit the spot. At that time, the only other places in LA with better pancakes was Du-Par's and Ben Franks.

I was always too nervous/excited to eat...and I wouldn't have wanted Robert or Jimmy to walk in and catch me with my mouth full of pancakes. ;) Haven't heard the names Du-Par's or Ben Franks in years (classic mid century LA space age architecture). :)

I was always too nervous/excited to eat...and I wouldn't have wanted Robert or Jimmy to walk in and catch me with my mouth full of pancakes. ;) Haven't heard the names Du-Par's or Ben Franks in years (classic mid century LA space age architecture). :)

I wasn't even thinking about that, only the drive home that morning. And I thought they had already left. It surprised me that they were still there. But they were leaving that morning, just not as soon as I expected.

She moved with her family and I lost touch...can't even remember her last name. And the school we went to no longer exists. :(

surely you can.

the detail you recalled about the concerts...... the food you ate, what you wore etc etc , and you can't remember her name?????? :blink:

Her first name, yes...but not her last. Hell, I had completely forgotten the names of the family that lived right next door to us, and whose son and daughter I played with. It was my sister who remembered their names when we were looking at old photos at my aunt's one day.

That's why I was laughing when Donald Trump was trying to make a big deal out of Obama's birth certificate, saying that his 1st grade class remembers him so why didn't Obama's? I wouldn't recognize anybody from my First grade class if you put a gun to my head. There are some things in my childhood that are complete blanks.

Strider, you've provided us lucky ones with Pulitzer quality writing. Extreme kudos to your detail, style and delivery. Primo!

MSG and Silver Rider, it's cool you two got to congregate at post concert festivities in Los Angeles at a high rise hotel. I would imagine fine English etiquette intact: Small talk... maybe a little q&a. A Zeppelin t-shirt, an autographed 8x10 photo of the band, maybe some finger sandwiches. And if you were lucky... a little peck on your cheek before you headed toward the elevators to the lobby.

Revision welcome.

Her first name, yes...but not her last. Hell, I had completely forgotten the names of the family that lived right next door to us, and whose son and daughter I played with. It was my sister who remembered their names when we were looking at old photos at my aunt's one day.

That's why I was laughing when Donald Trump was trying to make a big deal out of Obama's birth certificate, saying that his 1st grade class remembers him so why didn't Obama's? I wouldn't recognize anybody from my First grade class if you put a gun to my head. There are some things in my childhood that are complete blanks.

please don't think that i am calling you are a liar, i just find it strange that you remember so many details, yet you can't remember your girlfriends name. and she seemed quite important to you, as you really wanted to take her to the concert. keep thinking, i'm sure it will come to you. perhaps you are still friends with others from your school, and they may remember her. or maybe your old neighbours or family members?

in any case, if it's not important to you, then forget it :)

Strider, you've provided us lucky ones with Pulitzer quality writing. Extreme kudos to your detail, style and delivery. Primo!

MSG and Silver Rider, it's cool you two got to congregate at post concert festivities in Los Angeles at a high rise hotel. I would imagine fine English etiquette intact: Small talk... maybe a little q&a. A Zeppelin t-shirt, an autographed 8x10 photo of the band, maybe some finger sandwiches. And if you were lucky... a little peck on your cheek before you headed toward the elevators to the lobby.

Revision welcome.

Uh, not exactly. I did my best to keep a low profile. :lol:

Edited by Silver Rider

These concert stories have been incredible Strider. What makes it even better, are the others such as SR and MSG who have added their own details to these shows as well. Now, I know why I spend so much time on this forum! :thumbsup:

Revision welcome.

It was a chaste handshake. ;)

• 1 month later...

please don't think that i am calling you are a liar, i just find it strange that you remember so many details, yet you can't remember your girlfriends name. and she seemed quite important to you, as you really wanted to take her to the concert. keep thinking, i'm sure it will come to you. perhaps you are still friends with others from your school, and they may remember her. or maybe your old neighbours or family members?

in any case, if it's not important to you, then forget it :)

I happen to agree with you, slave to zep. I am not calling stryder a liar either, however, I do not really believe he can recall from memory an event that he witnessed as a 10 or 11 year old kid, under the influence of alcohol and quaaludes, that happened about 40 years ago in such detail . In another thread stryder posted that he did admit that bootlegs of these shows he "attended" as a 10/11 year old kid did help him for details in these "stories" that he wrote.

I also find it very strange that after so much detail a 10/11 year old kid can remember now as a 50+(?) adult and he cannot even remember the last name of his 11 year old girlfriend at the time they attended these gigs. In my opinion, that "makes me wonder" about the truth and accuracy of his "stories".

Case in point: stryder says that there some things from his childhood that are complete blanks, however, he can remember in so-called vivid detail that:

"As Rock and Roll progressed, with Jimmy doing his signature Rock and Roll stagger step, Trudy and I were hopping up and down on our seats, standing on our seats the only way we could see over the grownups in front of us. After the guitar solo, when Jimmy did his little leap, Trudy and I jumped as well, as various girls around us squealed". (his quote).

He can remember doing that but cannot remember "Trudy"'s last name. Please, and that is just one of one hundred details he states that I could mention that he vividly recalls. I will say that it makes for a good story (only because I love Led Zeppelin), but I do not think that he is being completely honest when he says that he remembers all this at such a young age and now has been compelled to tell his "story". I don't buy it and it were made into a book, I would not buy it.

The only things I believe about what he writes about are the words and lines that I have already read by distinguished authors and journalists that actually knew and travelled with Led Zeppelin. He seems to almost quote them verbatim and then tries to pass them off as his own "memories". I love to say this but I am not that naive and gullible to believe any of this. (By the way, I think that plagiarism is a serious and punishable offense).

Edited by lzzoso