knebworth

Friends

I actually really like the versions of SIBLY and No Quarter from the 11th, Jimmy shreds the solo of the latter. SIBLY is also really laidback. A lot of the show is painful to listen to really though.

Having seen zeppelin a few times before the knebworth shows,i personally didnt think they played aswell as when i saw them at earls court,but saying that both knebworth shows they played would have put any band to shame,zeppelin had such high standards for live shows nobody could touch them,a few missed notes etc but what the hell it proves they are human.

we will never see the likes of them again

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Have to agree that being there adds another dimension to what listing to in isolation may not sound that wonderful. Saw Zep 4 times 1972, twice in 1975 and second Knebworth. For me 1975 was the best but I can't pretend to remember it with crystal clarity it was a long time ago,

I saw lots of bands in the 70s especially, who I recall as being fantastic, but when listening to bootlegs now they don't sound as great as I recalled atmosphere adds a huge amount to the experience, which often makes up for tired playing.Knebworth was a great experiencing, not in my opinion as good as Earls Court, but someone who was only at Knebworth may disagree.

Listening to bootlegs and watching videos is great if that's all you have, but not even a close substitute to being there, even at a relatively poor gig.

Andy

I was at 11/8, it didn't matter to us then, it was a Zep concert FFS, it's only now that there is all this analysing, what with the DVD and boots, you name me any band that plays faultless every gig?, if you were there that night you would not give a shit, it was a good show then and still is IMO, my memory is still good enough, come on it was nearly 33 years ago, we heard all the songs we wanted to, they all sounded good, and we ENJOYED OURSELVES, came away in 7th heaven.:-)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

hello there.

I recently found out about the death of an old friend and got to thinking about the times we shared. Back in 1979 all of our 'gang' were tremendously excited about the Knebworth concerts and we all managed to get tickets for the 11th and, although we didn't all spend the day together, meeting up back at home the week afterwards was fantastic as the whole occasion and the band were brilliant.

anyway all this has led me to this forum and I was amazed to see that there seem to be a recorded version of the concert widely available.

so my question is just where can i get hold of a copy ?

thanks in advance for any help !

cheers

Renny

August 4th. If it were ever possible to travel back in time...

Shortly before I left home for university. It felt like what it was : all the gigs I'd attended, the music I'd loved, had all been building up to this. The day stretched on forever; dozing on the grass through a series of (mostly) unimpressive acts. Then as the sun went down, a charge in the air and the whole atmosphere was transformed: intense excitement... eventually that energy was channelled into the singing of "You'll never walk alone" ( how emotional to watch that back years later .. and emotional at the time)

The gig itself was amazing : just one of those occasions where you concentrate very hard and tell yourself fiercely never, never to forget how this looks, sounds, feels. Which works, kind of ...

(though getting the DVD in your hands works better) .

It felt like all my teenage unrequited love for music had brought me here. And that performance delivered : so strong, so exciting .

For me it was also an ending.. I left behind a lot of things including, I thought, my stupid crush on so much music (and a select few musicians). I went straight home determined to go back for the second performance on 11th - but lost my last big fight with my father before leaving home (and in a futile protest spent the night camping out in the garden !) Got serious about life after that and spent less time indulging my love of music ( ....and it was all still ending in 1980 .. Bonham, and John Lennon: leaving it behind seemed sad, but appropriate ) .

All of which really meant that 4th August was a high water mark for me..

Yet some things have a habit of coming back full circle. To quote Jeff Buckley : it's never over.

PS Massive apologies to anyone who expected a dispassionate review ! I think we've had those earlier in the thread.

so my question is just where can i get hold of a copy ?

thanks in advance for any help !

cheers

Renny

There are several ways of getting a copy.

If you want a hard copy of the 11th concert, you'll have to buy a DVD from a bootleg store (I recommend buying Genuine Masters' 25th Anniversary Edition). However, you can download it from myriads of trackers.

this is marvelous ! only managed to listen to the first side so far but it's superb and it's amazing just how much I have axctually remembered. It was like going back in time hearing the crowd singing ah ah back to Plant during black dog - I rememberd just as I was listening to it actually doing that that night. I really am very grateful for this - could anyone point me in the durection of a bootleg store where I could get a hard copy ?

once again thanks !

cheers

Renny

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question: does anyone have photos/scans of the interiors of Watchtower's "Welcome to the 1979 Knebworth Festival, 4th (and 11th) of August" CD's? I've got hi-res scans of the front and back covers, I just need to at least see what the inside looks like.

• 3 months later...

Quick question: does anyone have photos/scans of the interiors of Watchtower's "Welcome to the 1979 Knebworth Festival, 4th (and 11th) of August" CD's? I've got hi-res scans of the front and back covers, I just need to at least see what the inside looks like.

This is all I have (click to enlarge).

965fe875c332082eb1ba09a02ea1624b.jpeg a9171249bfb7a46e0f9a765d0680041a.jpeg 4a7604db406ee8c584b8fada9a5c5b61.jpeg 63897bd557a572db68cea7a807860763.jpeg

The show from the 11th is actually quite good, it simply suffers from constantly being compared to the show from the 4th, which is a little better. Try listening to this show without watching the video, it's much harder to tell where the mistakes are.
WellI I thought the show was really good , but that must apply to everyone's first Zeppelin concert.

now could someone who attended on the 4th issue a full and frank apology for the state of the toilets. :rtfm:

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished watching the 4th on DVD and just like every other time I have watched it does not disappoint. Jimmy's playing is very good IMO and his solo work on NFBM & OTHAFA is mindblowing!!! It took me years to get this boot (the first one in 88' on tape) because most of the reviews I read (Rolling Stone & NME) said the show was less than stellar. When I finally did purchase it I was blown away!!! Could not understand the bad reviews...Ok, so the band played the first numbers up to SIBLY a bit fast but they were pretty spot on. I am thinking the press at the time was so damned into punk that anything else was considered passe' so fuck it. I should go back and read the review for Rush's Hemispheres, I am sure Rolling Stone slagged it...

• 2 months later...

The 4th is a great show.

The 11th is good only because the other 3 were great, but JImmy is a god awful mess on the 11th, and that's the truth. I can't watch or listen to the 11th.

I have to agree with bluecongo - i got this on VHS at a record fair 20 years ago and cried when i saw it! Page is absolutely awful - his worst zep gig in my opinion (not counting live aid or atlantic 88!) The solo on No Quarter is simply dreadful and he looks like he can barely stand up for the duration of the gig - so sad! A friend of mine saved his pocket money to see the gig and told me it was so bad he wanted a refund at the end - yikes!

I went to both but the 11th was the best for me. Something about the vibe and JPJ's solo on No Quarter still sends shivers up my spine.

same

on the 11th it felt like Bonham was pushing and pulling the pace and intensity- seemed to take on more leadership in this area. He provoked JPJ a few times early in the set musically, almost forced him to play harder and keep up- rythm section tag. The crowd on the 11th was different, more sedate and spectatorish. The 4th as I recall the crowd was participatory and engaged, a part of the performance for sure.

Archived