knebworth

Friends

Sorry folks the 11th is pretty dismal. Jimmy wasn't at the starting gate as his solo in Rock and Roll clearly shows. Sticky fingers abound.

I was at the first show and they were fantastic. Some friends of mine went to both and the reports were at the time - err not very good. A real shame as this was the last time the band would perform in the UK. I suppose in the end of what was the best decade of music that there has ever been, finished with the best band of the decade saying goodnight for the last time. A very poignant moment from mine and a lot of peoples youth.

I have both the 4th and the 11th Knebworth concerts on dvd and I think that they are both Great.

August 4, 1979 includes "Ten Years Gone".

August 11, 1979 does not include "Ten Years Gone" but does have "Communication Breakdown".

Both dvds I have of each concert are of very decent quality. I say better to have a decent/above decent quality dvd of these shows then no quality of them at all.

I also have the dvd with both days & it is fantastic. Definitely worth buying.

Best gigs I ever saw in my life, what more can I say?

I would agree that August 4th was better, but then again, that was my first Led Zep gig, and you never forget your first time.....

Lee

Achilles Last Stand wasn't as good on the 11th as Jimmy broke a string about half way through it. ( I had an enormous pair of binoculars ). Both gigs were wonderful for me.

• 6 months later...

I agree that the 4th was the better show but I do think the version of Kashmir from the 11th is a better version than the 4th-(which they used for the DVD.)

The 4th version of Kashmir is much better, and it was used for the DVD, not the 11th one. Only footage (not the sound) of the 11th concert, mixed with the 4th is on the DVD.

I agree with those who prefer the 4th; better playing, better overall energy, and TYG.

My ideal Knebworth playlist is Weedwacker's 30th Anniversary SBD of the 4th, with the tracks available on the official DVD substituted in, plus Communication Breakdown from the 11th at the end.

But thanks to folks for the tips on Kashmir on the 11th - will have to give that one another listen!

just got a copy of the 4th on video and man its great , they are like school kids on stage at first day of school (nervous),when i was about 11 my bros had about 6 huge posters from these shows in the early 80's and at night listening to zep i could only imagine. damn its nice to have this video. get them both if you do not already have them.

I enjoy sections of both the 4th and 11th (depending on what song) I deem them almost equal in that respect. To go just a little to the left on the subject, the Copenhagen warm up shows from June 23rd/24th (before Knebworth) were probably better sets than the Knebworth gigs...I have both, and for audience recordings-they are a pleasure to listen too.

Not that one. The no label release from the 4th, the REALLY good upgrade, with the bonus features: Rock and Roll Alt. DVD mix, Heartbreaker single camera, Heartbreaker alternate camera mix, BBC interview, and cine films.

I'm almost sure you mean this one:

daf04749241cd83aff66fe0c02a2fe90.jpg

Personally, I tried to listen to one of the Knebworth concerts (don't recall which date) but it was so sloppy I moved onto another concert.

I would be curious to know from those who are more familiar with the Knebworth shows , how many other songs and which songs performed at Knebworth (not included on the official release) would be up to zeppelin's standards to be released at a future date?

Also, is anyone aware of backstage footage from Knebworth that could also be released at a future date?

Personally, I tried to listen to one of the Knebworth concerts (don't recall which date) but it was so sloppy I moved onto another concert.

I would be curious to know from those who are more familiar with the Knebworth shows , how many other songs and which songs performed at Knebworth (not included on the official release) would be up to zeppelin's standards to be released at a future date?

White Summer/Black Mountain Side (Page's best live solo of 1979)

Trampled Under Foot

Stairway to Heaven (sloppy, with Plant singing out of tune but still great)

Black Dog

You know, I just don't get Jimmy sometimes. His WS/BMS is incredible, on par with 1969 performance easily and one of his most difficult works to play. Then, he completely blows a good section of the solo on Ten Years Gone & Sick Again??? WTF??? Those are EASY solos, I mean, real easy. For some reason Jimmy tended to get sticky fingers on the easier solos but nailed the most difficult ones. I also tend to notice, especially on No Quarter from LA 1977 that parts of his solos were insanely fast, I mean like Neal Schon or Vai fast and accurate. It is almost like his mind was working too fast so any slower more contemplative solo like TYG or SA he just could not comprehend. Just my opinion and since I have no reference to how heroin affects the playing of a guitarist I cannot say. I would think an opiate would slow things down a bit, not speed them up but who knows, drugs affect everyone a little differently. Either way I always liked Jimmy's slower and mid-tempo solos to the screamers like Heartbreaker, portions of WS, and sections of D&C and SIBLY, which he always played spot on in later performances I have heard from 77' - 80'. So, am I right or full of shit? Let me know what you think...

You know, I just don't get Jimmy sometimes. His WS/BMS is incredible, on par with 1969 performance easily and one of his most difficult works to play. Then, he completely blows a good section of the solo on Ten Years Gone & Sick Again??? WTF??? Those are EASY solos, I mean, real easy. For some reason Jimmy tended to get sticky fingers on the easier solos but nailed the most difficult ones. I also tend to notice, especially on No Quarter from LA 1977 that parts of his solos were insanely fast, I mean like Neal Schon or Vai fast and accurate. It is almost like his mind was working too fast so any slower more contemplative solo like TYG or SA he just could not comprehend. Just my opinion and since I have no reference to how heroin affects the playing of a guitarist I cannot say. I would think an opiate would slow things down a bit, not speed them up but who knows, drugs affect everyone a little differently. Either way I always liked Jimmy's slower and mid-tempo solos to the screamers like Heartbreaker, portions of WS, and sections of D&C and SIBLY, which he always played spot on in later performances I have heard from 77' - 80'. So, am I right or full of shit? Let me know what you think...

Some 1977 and 1980 versions of SIBLY are just downright terrible, Jimmy hits a tonne of bum notes trying to pull off the fast runs that were a staple of the song. Cleveland 27/4/77 comes to mind, as does Cologne 1980. On the whole I like the feel of the '77 versions of the song, with the parts from Tea For One put in but that doesn't change the fact that it was very hit and miss during those two tours.

White Summer/Black Mountainside is much the same imo, it wasn't that good in '77 but the segue into Kashmir was awesome. By 1980 I have no idea why the band were still playing it, it was a total trainwreck pretty much the whole tour, and I've listened to all of the shows except a couple. I can only imagine what Robert, Bonzo and Jonesy were thinking watching him try to pull it off. It just sounds like a sloppy out of tune mess most of the time.

What I do find strange is that on most of the shows from '77 Jimmy played the acoustic stuff note perfect but couldn't do it on his electric guitar.

What I do find strange is that on most of the shows from '77 Jimmy played the acoustic stuff note perfect but couldn't do it on his electric guitar.

Might it have something to do with the fact that Jimmy was sitting down during the acoustic set, with his guitar within easy reach?

Like I wrote over on the Jimmy Page #3 Guitarist thread, it's kind of hard to maneouvre your fingers around the fretboard when it's hanging by your knees.

Archived