knebworth

Friends

^ You know he's referring to the 11th. I agree the performance was not great, but I've heard worse! For me, because how good the 4th was, the 11th was disappointing. This is coming from someone who was not actually there, btw.

Of course the 11 August performance was slightly disappointing, but we're talking about attending a Led fucking Zeppelin gig.

Abso-fucking-lutely!

Call me old fashioned, but when I was a lad, concerts were intended to be enjoyed real-time, for what they were, then and there - not pored over and analysed decades later for bum notes and Sector Fucking Boundary Errors by n00bs who weren't even born back then.

For all its faults, 11.8.79 was almost certainly enjoyed immensely by everyone who was there who didn't have an axe to grind, EXPERIENCING LED ZEPPELIN. The same goes for Tempe or any other supposedly dodgy show you care to mention.

We were there! We felt them! And it was fucking AWESOME!!!!!

just as a personal note

I remember being in awe of taking in how they did what they did while the vibrations first, and the sound second washed over me- it was all connected. To boot, both shows the crowd reflected like a mirror the surge from the platform. The 4th crowd was so on edge, the 11th receptive.

At no point did thoughts of comparison or evaluation stir.

Only appreciation.

An over looked micro-audience at Knebworth is the road crew and setup crew. In the days prior to the event the enormity of the job was met with enormity of expectation and anticipation at what would take place. The looks and body language of the road crew and setup crew during the shows reflected accomplishment and pride and humility all at the same time. They had all worked toward perfection and overcame. Sometime during the 11th it was not ignored that only a few songs until tear down. The ones we could see enjoyed the experience and we a part of the audience for just a while rather than only on the job. The crew were a city of a machine that made it go.

Never heard anyone at the shows compare. Not before, not during. Not a word about sloppy hands, voice cracks, JPJ piano work compared to... or Bonham's effort compared to shows/recordings past.

Quite the opposite. The buzz (the din :bubble:) was "damn I can't wait for the next show" and "**ck we are so lucky... did you hear Bonham work over ALS? **it man- I cried during.... that's nothing I slept during NQ because it took me to a peaceful place..." Things like this for days and weeks after.

Listening to recordings either video or audio of the shows now is barely more than a glimpse. Without the crowd noises, movements, even the breeze and clouds and sights its only a narrow glimpse of the experience. The social aspect was incredible.

My comments on the second Knebworth gig (i accept the first show was a lot better but still not great) were based purely on a musical performance level and nothing to do with being there or not. All i can go on is what i see visually and hear aurally nothing more. I just find it very hard to see my favourite band since 1977 in such a poor state both musically and in Jimmy's case physically (he looked dreadful!) especially as this was supposed to be a triumphant return to their homeland after a 4 year absence.

I remember reading all the bad reviews in the music press after the 4th aug gig and thought that criticism would inspire them to pull out all the stops for the second show to prove they still had it. Instead it seemed to have had the opposite effect and the limp performance simply vindicated the critics.

Just my personal opinion.

Have a zeptastic xmas everyone!

• 2 weeks later...

I've heard that there were some technical ramifications on the 11th.

the sound volume was up and down all day, insofar as outages or specifics for Led Zeppelin the kick drum was way up and so were the cymbals then they went back to normal. This happened a few times.

If you ask me the 11th is good only up through Kashmir. After that, I don't know what happened, but Jimmy just lost it, especially on Achilles. At least the one from 1977/07/20 had a modicom of energy behind it, but this version has nothing. Bonzo and Jonesy are the only good thing about that version. It's a shame that Boogie Chillun' wasn't done on the 4th, when Jimmy actually had the stamina for it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yeah I remember them - they were shite.Woke me up with all that rubbish about rabbits and 'ows yer farther, roll out the barrel bollocks. If I was near the stage I would have chucked everything at them. East end pub garbage for 200,000 heads. File under "bad idea" And for one Chas no one liked you either

• 1 month later...

Archived