Jimmy Page greatest guitarist ever?

Danielle Andrea

143 members have voted

1. 1. Jimmy Page greatest guitarist ever?

• Yes!
    • No..
    • He's not the best. But he's up there, of course.

Jimmy Page will always be 1a in my book, but Jimi Hendrix is 1b.

No one can touch Jimmy Page and Jimi Hendrix! It's those two and everyone else.

SRV, Michael Schenker, Jeff Beck, and Alvin Lee are my next four.

B.B. King blows as a player. Buddy Guy sh#ts all over King!

Page is the GREATEST. Hendrix was great, but I never understood the hype. Page did it all.

Do you even KNOW Hendrix???

Ever heard any song that isn't Hey Joe, The Wind Cries Mary, or Purple Haze?

You know the song Machine Gun? Driving South? What about the album Axis:Bold As Love, Electric Ladyland, or Band Of Gypsys? Trust me, Hendrix may be overhyped, but he is definitely not overrated!

You know the song Machine Gun? Driving South? What about the album Axis:Bold As Love, Electric Ladyland, or Band Of Gypsys? Trust me, Hendrix may be overhyped, but he is definitely not overrated!

I Must Listen to some Hendrix Now !!

I own all his albums...I’m sorry, I should have checked with you first before my tastes decided that I prefer Jimmy Page over Jimi Hendrix as my personal choice. Cheers Mate!

I own all his albums...I’m sorry, I should have checked with you first before my tastes decided that I prefer Jimmy Page over Jimi Hendrix as my personal choice. Cheers Mate!

I never said anything about your choice. I didn't read anything in your post to suggest you liked Hendrix over Page.

no of course he isn't, what a ridiculous thing to say, not sure why there is the 3rd voting option, thats still a 'no', why not have even more non-'yes' options so you can dilute the 'no' vote even further to make it look like 'yes' has won, wtf

No offence but you all listed 60/ 70 s guitarist, guitar playing has come quantum leaps since then. Page is my fav song writer guitarist, with great feeling, but guys like Vai, satch and Guthrie Govan slay him in ability.

this is mind clowing lol

I think JP is up there, like EC said its an idea , each have strength & weakness.

Michael Schenker interestingly picked LZIII on essential rock albums, was expecting II

There’s so many tones and moods to absorb on Zeppelin III. The band explores dynamics completely, going from short outbursts of extremely loud playing to very soft, acoustic passages.

Of the rock songs, Immigrant Song is utterly fantastic. It energizes me! [Laughs] There’s no guitar solo on the song, but you don’t need one when you have such heaviness. It might be one of the most powerful rock tracks I’ve ever heard.

http://www.musicrada...lbums-568348#!1

No offence but you all listed 60/ 70 s guitarist, guitar playing has come quantum leaps since then. Page is my fav song writer guitarist, with great feeling, but guys like Vai, satch and Guthrie Govan slay him in ability.

this is mind clowing lol

Those guys are better technically, without question, but they don't have the individual style or the creativity that Page or alot of other older guitarists have. You also have to take into account the evolution of guitarists. Neither of those guys was the first to do anything. Earlier guitarists were much more self reliant on coming up with different techniques and sounds.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...

How do you define "best"? Are we judging solely on sheer technical prowess? If so, what elements does this include?

Are we judging on who composed the best, most memorable riffs and guitar solos or who was best able to consistently execute them live? Or are we judging on who sounds best on recordings? Are we basing it on fame, influence or records sold?

I don't like polls, they are all about opinion, though I will say Page is up there with the best but for sheer technical ability Jeff Beck is way beyond Page. That in my book makes JB a better guitar player than JP. So to answer to the OPs question, Jimmy Page is not the greatest guitarist ever.

In my opinion, if you take everything into account, he IS the greatest guitarist ever! There are some guitarists who find themselves on the instrument and their sound is like their staple. And in my opinion, their growth can become 'somewhat' hindered and one dimensional. Of course there is nothing wrong with that as these types of guitarists also serve as examples of greatest playing and composition! But Jimmy is not one dimensional by any means, which is something special. He isn't afraid to take risks or break rules. It seems like he tries everything and anything when it comes to exploration of sound. I think some of it must be due to his time working as a studio musician. He was exposed to all kinds of music and styles of playing. I assume that a studio musician probably looks at their instrument as a tool so they can get the job done properly. It seems like it must be a very demanding field of work with some pressure. Jimmy has this ability to improvise with fluidity and substance! You know a great speaker when they can concisely express their thoughts with words. I think the same idea applies to a great musician. Jimmy is fantastic in the studio, but he is mind-blowing on the stage. Listening to the live Led Zeppelin performances, for example, is an amazing experience just hearing him play. It's like there is an invisible cable connecting his soul to his hands and there's no thinking or anything involved! He just breathes and sings with his incredibly nimble fingers, even if they were sometimes broken! He is an inspiration to many musicians and is much more musically than a guitarist! These are the reasons I say yes, he is. But it could just be that I love what Jimmy sounds like and this is how I've justified it in my mind! :lol:

In my opinion, if you take everything into account, he IS the greatest guitarist ever! There are some guitarists who find themselves on the instrument and their sound is like their staple. And in my opinion, their growth can become 'somewhat' hindered and one dimensional. Of course there is nothing wrong with that as these types of guitarists also serve as examples of greatest playing and composition! But Jimmy is not one dimensional by any means, which is something special. He isn't afraid to take risks or break rules. It seems like he tries everything and anything when it comes to exploration of sound. I think some of it must be due to his time working as a studio musician. He was exposed to all kinds of music and styles of playing. I assume that a studio musician probably looks at their instrument as a tool so they can get the job done properly. It seems like it must be a very demanding field of work with some pressure. Jimmy has this ability to improvise with fluidity and substance! You know a great speaker when they can concisely express their thoughts with words. I think the same idea applies to a great musician. Jimmy is fantastic in the studio, but he is mind-blowing on the stage. Listening to the live Led Zeppelin performances, for example, is an amazing experience just hearing him play. It's like there is an invisible cable connecting his soul to his hands and there's no thinking or anything involved! He just breathes and sings with his incredibly nimble fingers, even if they were sometimes broken! He is an inspiration to many musicians and is much more musically than a guitarist! These are the reasons I say yes, he is. But it could just be that I love what Jimmy sounds like and this is how I've justified it in my mind! :lol:

I agree, mandolin, 12 string acoustic and electric, banjo, 6 string acoustic and electric, slide, sitar, the list goes and on, on top of that he wrote the rock n roll song book when it comes to riifs, solo's, and alternative tunings...Jimmy Page is my fav guitarists ever

I agree, mandolin, 12 string acoustic and electric, banjo, 6 string acoustic and electric, slide, sitar, the list goes and on, on top of that he wrote the rock n roll song book when it comes to riifs, solo's, and alternative tunings...Jimmy Page is my fav guitarists ever

Yes that's right! And mine too! :)

How do you define "best"? Are we judging solely on sheer technical prowess? If so, what elements does this include?

Are we judging on who composed the best, most memorable riffs and guitar solos or who was best able to consistently execute them live? Or are we judging on who sounds best on recordings? Are we basing it on fame, influence or records sold?

:goodpost: It is fun to have polls like this - especially when it ignites some heated conversations but at the same time this poll is too vaguely worded. It is a bit like, "Is blue the best color?"

Yes. Not the best on a technical level, but in terms of the emotional range he conveys with the instrument and the effect it has on me and how exciting he is to listen to on live recordings, yes.

Play me something done on a guitar that sounds more thrilling than "When The Levee Breaks" or "In My Time Of Dying" or "Kashmir" and I'll change my mind. Nothing better's been done with the instrument.

a272_zps6fba688e.jpg

Ever since he landed in London in 1966, EVERYBODY has been playing guitar in the shadow of Jimi Hendrix. Hands down the number one game changer in rock n roll guitar. Head and shoulders above everybody when it comes to living in the moment and recreating the same songs on a daily basis. It was much easier to follow his lead than it was for him to tour with two white guys and ride the feedback off multiple Marshall stacks to create abstract sound paintings. It's easy to take that for granted today. The balls it took for a black man to dress like he wanted, say what he wanted, and play what he wanted in the face of 1968 America. He got away with it because people were mesmerized by his guitar playing.

It's obvious Hendrix had a big influence in Page. The psychedelic versions of "For Your Love" on the first tour are answers to what Jimi had been doing and the "No Quarter" riff is lifted directly from "Machine Gun". All of the serious improvisational ass that Page kicked, especially 69-73, is undoubtedly inspired by Jimi Hendrix.

My fav quote of Jimmy Page, "Lets put this way; I had a sitar before George Harrison", George had his in 1965, which is impressive, really Page had already branched out over many of the conventional guitar players early on.

JimmyPageSitarPhoto.jpg

Here is Jimmy Page getting experimental in 1968, he had the Yardbirds practiced this in mid 1967 with the bow, and it's wonderful, it's great seeing Page get experimental like this before Zeppelin was formed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ffBRhtWjEQ

Archived