Jimmy Page greatest guitarist ever?

Danielle Andrea

143 members have voted

1. 1. Jimmy Page greatest guitarist ever?

• Yes!
    • No..
    • He's not the best. But he's up there, of course.

Here is Jimmy Page getting experimental in 1968, he had the Yardbirds practiced this in mid 1967 with the bow, and it's wonderful, it's great seeing Page get experimental like this before Zeppelin was formed:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ffBRhtWjEQ

WOW...this is super cool, thanks for posting, Charles!! Just like the LZ companion discs, I love seeing the masters in the making, and it's really neat to see what D&C was, and what it became. I kept waiting for those awesome Bonzo thunderous drums! So glad they grew this song with LZ.

My late father was a jazz pianist and when I was 13/14 I rember saying to him Hendrix is the greatest,Blackmore's the best, Page the ducks guts etc.My father said no ones the greatest,just the ones who are the most 'influential to your tastes.He then played me some Django,West Montgomery,Segovia,even some Muddy Waters.None of this was up my alley at the time but i took it on board and years later i appreciate all styles and levels of music and musicianship.Is Page the best?No.Nobody is.Visionary and influential,hell yeah.Hendrix the same.Both could be very sloppy guitarists at times but what they lacked in technique was made up in their soul of their playing and vision.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well lets look at the fact shall we? He took the electric Guitar, formed one of the most influential bands ever, incooprated so many different genres into the music of said influential band, was able to play a range of other instruments too, created some of the most memorable and recognisable riffs in rock history, influenced so many guitarists, AND managed to play better than most guitarists on one of his bad nights.

He might not be the best guitarist ever, but he is certainly up there.

Yes. Not the best on a technical level, but in terms of the emotional range he conveys with the instrument and the effect it has on me and how exciting he is to listen to on live recordings, yes.

Play me something done on a guitar that sounds more thrilling than "When The Levee Breaks" or "In My Time Of Dying" or "Kashmir" and I'll change my mind. Nothing better's been done with the instrument.

a272_zps6fba688e.jpg

Thanks for this! The text on the photo says it all I think. Yes, you can think of technically better players, but for me too, nobody can beat Jimmy when comes getting emotions across, using the guitar. What Jimmy can't or won't say in words, he surely manages to make clear through the music..... Playing with feeling and passion is more important to me, than perfect technical skill........

Maaike

Thanks for this! The text on the photo says it all I think. Yes, you can think of technically better players, but for me too, nobody can beat Jimmy when comes getting emotions across, using the guitar. What Jimmy can't or won't say in words, he surely manages to make clear through the music..... Playing with feeling and passion is more important to me, than perfect technical skill........

Maaike

Great post, Maaike! So many emotions deeply and effectively expressed through Jimmy's guitar!!

:)

• 1 month later...

Well to me as the 'best' guitarist is obviously highly subjective - it was any easy yes vote.

I can get bored of just about anything musically and mostly have done, but Jimmy Page, na never, by far the best because the music easily stands the test of time, still sounds fresh and still gets inside me like nothing before or after.

No brainer really, all four of them were the best at what they were doing at the time and the fact it all came together in Led Zep, we can only thank the gods for.

I'm going to say it again, Jeff Beck is a better guitar player than Jimmy Page. Just get Jeff's recent "Live In Tokyo" Blu-Ray, it's all the proof you will ever need.

I'm not a fan of Jeff Beck - seen and heard plenty of him. I actually truly don't get what all the fuss is about, his playing is all so sort of tight like a spring squashed into a box but never allowed to get out, Jimmy is a much more physical player who was always happy to take a risk and that hits the button for me. If the spring got out of the box and smacked you in the face, oh well, all part of the fun.

I'm not a fan of Jeff Beck - seen and heard plenty of him. I actually truly don't get what all the fuss is about, his playing is all so sort of tight like a spring squashed into a box but never allowed to get out, Jimmy is a much more physical player who was always happy to take a risk and that hits the button for me. If the spring got out of the box and smacked you in the face, oh well, all part of the fun.

I used to feel that way about Jeff, but I saw him live in a gig a few years ago and he blew me away. He really is golden.

• 1 month later...

Sort of a tough question. Depends how you define best. He's my favorite guitarist and I guess IMO the best(poll). IOWFE, If your definition of best includes "the cleanest string striker/player" then he would likley fall out.

No, he's not, and neither is the man in my signature, much as I love his work as well. Jimi Hendrix, Duane Allman, BB King, and Joe Walsh I'd put ahead of Page, Gilmour, and Clapton. They're all great guitarists to be sure, and they all created transcendent works, but Jimmy Page is not the greatest guitarist ever, IMO.

• 4 weeks later...

This is an argument between music critics. musicians, music fans, etc. that will always be.

Much like anything else, it boils down to Opinion, Style and Taste.

Some like it fast, for which they resort to players of that nature.

Some like SRV for his fast blues style. Some like technical players, etc etc.

But to me, Page was in another leaque and world. He incorporated 1,000 guitar players in one.

For his influences spread far and wide. More so than any player of his generation and beyond.

He's not the fastest, or the cleanest or the most technical - but he embraces an approach and way of playing unlike any other.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hmm I don't know how to measure in terms of the best because it can be such personal opinion.

but I will say he is my favorite musician hands down. I can listen to Jimmy's guitar playing for hours upon hours.

I can't do that with any other guitar player. Not saying there isn't amazing guitar players out there of course there is.

I just know for me Jimmy ranks top dog on my #GuitarGod list.

Archived