Neil Young

freshmint

Thanks for posting! My husband and I have been fans of Neil Young since the late sixties. I am behind the curve when it comes to DVD releases; is "CSNY Déjà Vu" available for purchase now?

According to the interview it just premiered at Sundance so I imagine it'll be a while before it comes out on DVD. We can also look forward to another Jonathan Demme Neil movie since he's been following him around on the tour for Chrome Dreams II.

According to the interview it just premiered at Sundance so I imagine it'll be a while before it comes out on DVD. We can also look forward to another Jonathan Demme Neil movie since he's been following him around on the tour for Chrome Dreams II.

Thanks for the info. We love Chrome Dreams II. Nice to know that there is possibly something else to look forward to from Mr. Demme.

Not ONE mention of Ragged Glory?? :unsure:

This is prime Neil, rockin' out down and dirty. This CD has been often credited as one of the first true "grunge" albums.

With all due respect, Neil and Crazy Horse were doing "grunge" long before Ragged Glory. Same for Jimi Hendrix, it just didn't have a name back then other than saying his music sounded "grungy". That said, Ragged Glory is well worth mentioning. Yet another Neil album I need to add to my collection.

With all due respect, Neil and Crazy Horse were doing "grunge" long before Ragged Glory. Same for Jimi Hendrix, it just didn't have a name back then other than saying his music sounded "grungy". That said, Ragged Glory is well worth mentioning. Yet another Neil album I need to add to my collection.

Point taken. "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere" is as grungy as it gets. More so than 'Ragged Glory" in fact.

Slobberbone (most of whom are now in The Drams) do a very kickass cover of Neil's Piece of Crap that can be found on the This Note's For You tribute album.

41G7NZTX92L._AA240_.jpg

As The Drams they still whip out the occasional Neil cover. Last time I saw them it was Winterlong but they still do Cortez the Killer, just like in their Slobberbone days. Back when they toured so much with the Drive-By Truckers they would sometimes team up for Cortez, playing it for epic lengths. Well worth seeking out if you can find a copy.

Speaking of Neil covers Uncut recently did a cover story on Neil, enclosed with the issue was Like A Hurricane: A Tribute To Neil Young. One of the covers is a blistering version of Mr. Soul by Patty Hurst Shifter which you can hear at their MySpace site below. It's also available on their very excellent Fugitive Glue EP.

http://www.myspace.com/pattyhurstshifter

The entire tracklist for Like A Hurricane:

1. Sonic Youth - Computer Age

2. Patty Hurst Shifter - Mr Soul

3. Paul Weller - Birds

4. The Waco Brothers - Revolution Blues

5. Carrie Rodriguez - Cortez The Killer ( With Tim Easton)

6. Dream Syndicate - Cinnamon Girl

7. The Walkabouts - On The Beach

8. Matthew Sweet & Susanna Hoffs - Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere

9. The Wailin' Jennys - Old Man

10. The Flaming Lips - After The Goldrush

11. Kid Lang - Helpless

12. The Be Good Tanyas - For The Turnstiles

13. The Alarm - Rockin' In The Free World

14. Cowboy Junkies - Tired Eyes

15. Low / Dirty Three - Down By The River

16. Jay Farrar - Like A Hurricane

Not ONE mention of Ragged Glory?? :unsure:

This is prime Neil, rockin' out down and dirty. This CD has been often credited as one of the first true "grunge" albums.

good catch, R.A. One of my faves from the '90's. Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE "This note's for you" !

I know it's not on that album, but close to it, time wise...I remember the --it holes at MTV wouldn't play it because it had the spoof of Michael Jackson getting his hair caught on fire...I believe they ended up giving in, eventually...jerks

"aint singin' for pepsi, aint singin' for coke..."

Edited by stonefreelee

good catch, R.A. One of my faves from the '90's. Also, I LOVE LOVE LOVE "This note's for you" !

I know it's not on that album, but close to it, time wise...I remember the --it holes at MTV wouldn't play it because it had the spoof of Michael Jackson getting his hair caught on fire...I believe they ended up giving in, eventually...jerks

"aint singin' for pepsi, aint singin' for coke..."

I effing strongly dislike mtv...

It won Video of the Year at the VMAs that year. When they went to speak to Neil live via satellite there was no sound.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

From the NY Times:

CRAZY HORSE "TOAST"

In 2000, Crazy Horse was in San Francisco, south of Market street, at an old studio called "Toast." Coltrane had recorded there, among many other jazz greats, known and unknown. The Dot Com boom was happening and buildings were being bought and turned into lofts or torn down completely and rebuilt. New money was everywhere. Toast was a target. The place was a little run down and sort of on its last legs.

To a man, if you asked Crazy Horse about these sessions, you would learn that it was a depressing atmosphere and things were not going well. The band recorded there for months and came up with very little. Nothing, other than one song, "Goin' Home" was ever finished. But a lot was started. Several of the songs written at Toast showed up on the "Are You Passionate" album with Booker T. and the MGs. But that album met with mixed reaction.

Now, years later, John Hanlon, the original co-producer with Neil, is at work mixing all of the Toast material. Many songs share a bluesy, jazz-tinged vibe as a common thread. Three solid rockers are interspersed in the mix. Other songs are long with extensive explorations between verses, a Crazy Horse trademark, kind of like a down-played Tonight's the Night, except these songs deal directly with love and loss, not drugs. The ambient atmosphere, foggy, blue and desolate, pervades many of the tracks, if not all, with Tommy Brea's muted trumpet and dusky male and female counter-part BGs occasionally surfacing from Poncho and Ralph on one side, Nancy Hall and Pegi Young on the other. A cool and sleepy lounge piano rises in the fog occasionally.

The result of this is perhaps one of the most under-estimated and deceptive Crazy Horse records of all time, with many songs originally discarded, and then re-recorded with Booker T. and the MGs. The original performances now surface again through a foggy past. Like an abstract painting, lyrical images of a love lost and maybe even destroyed forever just refuse to die, creating a landscape littered with half-broken dreams and promises.

"Toast" is coming, a dark Crazy Horse classic for the ages. This first NYA "Special Edition" is the beginning of a new series of unreleased albums.

From RollingStone.com:

Neil Young And Crazy Horse To Release Lost 2000 Album

19966753-19966754-slarge.jpg

Neil Young and Crazy Horse are resurrecting their aborted 2000 album Toast for release sometime in the near future. Recorded at San Francisco’s Toast Studios, the group worked for a few frustrating months on the disc before scrapping nearly all of it. According to a post on Young’s website, the album’s co-producer John Hanlon is at work mixing the songs. “Many songs share a bluesy, jazz-tinged vibe as a common thread,” the post says. “Three solid rockers are interspersed in the mix. Other songs are long with extensive explorations between verses, a Crazy Horse trademark, kind of like a down-played Tonight’s the Night, except these songs deal directly with love and loss, not drugs.”

The item concludes with the news that “This first NYA ‘Special Edition’ is the beginning of a new series of unreleased albums.” This begs some questions: Is he also going to release the fabled Homegrown (1975), Chrome Dreams (1977), Times Square (1989) and god knows what else is sitting in the vault? Isn’t the box set supposed to come out this year? Why release these things separately? Anyway, for a good idea of what the Toast songs might be sound like, check out this killer performance of “Goin’ Home” below. It’s the only track to survive the sessions, and probably the best song he’s put out in the past decade.

Neil Young is IMO a top 5 guitarists in terms of talent, creativity and ability...

after hearing his guitar in "Like a Hurricane" I was blown away by his performance, and I began to look deeper into Neil's career... that kinda paused as I began my current King Crimson journey

but hes someone I'll continue to look into as I expand my musical universe

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Has Neil Young Miscalculated His Fan-Base?

060309NeilYoung160306-041.jpg

by Paul Cashmere

photo by Ros O'Gorman

Neil Young is making a massive mistake by limiting his forthcoming Archive collection to Blu-Ray.

For someone who has put his audience first for more than 40 years, Young is risking alienation of epic proportions by placing his fan-base below technology.

To read the rest of the article click here.

Neil Young gets new honor -- his own spider

LOS ANGELES (Reuters Life!) - Iconic singer and songwriter Neil Young has had an honor bestowed upon him that is not received by many musicians -- his own spider.

An East Carolina University biologist, Jason Bond, discovered a new species of trapdoor spider and opted to call the arachnid after his favorite musician, Canadian Neil Young, naming it Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi.

You can read the rest of the article here.