Neil Young

freshmint

Has Neil Young Miscalculated His Fan-Base?

That was an excellent reading and the writer is quite right. I want to buy this damn boxset but hell! a blu-ray player is 500$ and how much the box will cost if it's a 10 discs set? 200$?

I love Neil with all my heart but I do hope he's going to release it on CD... or vinyl.

Let's keep our fingers cross!

Neil Young gets new honor -- his own spider

LOS ANGELES (Reuters Life!) - Iconic singer and songwriter Neil Young has had an honor bestowed upon him that is not received by many musicians -- his own spider.

An East Carolina University biologist, Jason Bond, discovered a new species of trapdoor spider and opted to call the arachnid after his favorite musician, Canadian Neil Young, naming it Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi.

You can read the rest of the article here.

Myrmekiaphila neilyoungi

wow what a name!

Thanks for the interesting articles. I've always loved Neil Young - both as a musician and as someone who hasn't been reluctant to take a stand for what he believes in. This is one of my favorite recent articles about Neil Young: "Vintage Neil Young, Still Working for the Muse"

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/28/arts/mus...e.html?ex=13513

More details on Neil's upcoming box set:

Forever Young

Neil Young's Long-Promised Archive

Is Actually in the Works

And Coming Out on Blu-ray

WK-AL889_HOREP_20080515164434.jpg

Neil Young circa 1970 Getty Images

By ETHAN SMITH

Since the 1980s, Neil Young has been telling fans he is close to releasing an exhaustive, interactive archive of music, photographs, video footage and other material from his storied career.

The project has achieved legendary status in the music world, not for the music it contains but because it has never surfaced, despite Mr. Young's periodic promises. The Canadian rocker has attributed the serial delays to technical shortcomings and sound-quality problems in media ranging from CD-ROMs to DVDs.

You can read the remainder of the article here.

Edited by Jahfin

• 3 weeks later...
Neil Young is coming to Finland! Wohoo I must get tickets. He's one of my favourite artists. I'm so excited about this!

:angry:

he's going all over the world but he's ignoring Canada for the exception of Toronto :(

Edited by Charles_Obscure

• 3 weeks later...

The Billboard Q&A: Neil Young

Wes Orshoski

In the spring of 2006, Neil Young was just a year removed from a near-fatal aneurysm when he became so enraged with the war in Iraq that he quickly wrote, recorded and released the protest album "Living With War." Not two months after its release, Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young launched their Freedom of Speech tour, during which unwitting fans expecting the band's sweeter side were greeted instead with its serrated edge.

During a three-hour-plus concert, the band played nearly all of "Living With War" and many of the political anthems on which its legend was built, like "Ohio," "Military Madness" and "Find the Cost of Freedom." Despite CSN&Y's anti-establishment roots, the move angered some fans, while inspiring others.

To read the interview click here.

I went to one of the CSNY shows in NJ that summer. We laughed at the people who left in anger. They freaking paid $250 and they leave early because of a few anti-war songs. Wasn't that the reason they dug these guys back in the day? We just moved up front thanks to them! :D

I heard Mr. Soul off of this today on XM's Deep Tracks. While I liked it well enough it didn't quite compel me to rush out and find the record. Still, not a bad job at all.

51uwsi9-AuL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

1. Birds

2. Long May You Run

3. Flying On The Ground

4. I Am A Child

5. Only Love Can Break Your Heart

6. Harvest Moon

7. Like A Hurricane

8. The Loner

9. Don't Be Denied

10. World On A String

11. Mr Soul

12. Winterlong

13. On The Way Home

14. Wonderin'

15. Don't Cry No Tears

I purchased the Heart of gold DVD last week. I think it's a great concert movie, recorded at The Rymans in Nashville 2005, with guests like Emmylou Harris among others.

heartofgold.jpg

I will see Neil in concert for the first time in August, at the Way Out West festival in Gothenburg. I'm very excited about it!

• 3 weeks later...

Neil Young's 'Archive' To Be Available On CD, DVD

Gary Graff, Detroit

With CSNY: Deja Vu, his documentary of Crosby, Stills, Nash & Young's controversial 2006 Freedom of Speech Tour, rolling out this week, Neil Young says his upcoming musical plans mostly involve his long-in-the-works Archive series as well as hitting the road.

This fall, the Archive series will begin to roll out with a 10-disc set of performances from 1963-72. Contrary to previous reports, and Young's own comments in the media, the set will be available in standard CD and DVD configurations and not exclusively in Blu-ray, but Young says he hopes fans will take advantage of the state-of-the-art format.

You can read the rest of the article here.

Neil Young's 'Archive' To Be Available On CD, DVD

Thanks for sharing that - I will definitely add those to my music collection. My youngest daughter has just discovered Neil Young and there is nothing better than hearing those classics again and seeing them being appreciated by a new generation.

Awesome! I sure hope he hits my neck of the woods this time. :(

He's a genius.

Amen to that. My husband and I love him. He's another legend who we grew up listening to - from the days of Buffalo Springfield to the present. We would love to see him in concert again at least one more time.

• 3 months later...

http://www.freep.com/article/20081116/ENT0...0334/1039/ENT04

Fresh thoughts on new music: Neil Young

November 16, 2008

When the not quite 23-year-old Neil Young came to Ann Arbor in the fall of 1968 for two performances at the Canterbury House, he was at a crucial point in his career. After gaining fame as a vocalist and guitarist in the pioneering folk-rock group Buffalo Springfield, he was now a solo artist after drug busts and bickering caused the band to dissolve prematurely.

With his first solo album ready to hit stores, Young wanted to test the waters without the benefit of other musicians and see how he came across to a live audience. He chose to perform at a music-friendly venue run by the University of Michigan's Episcopal ministry, the Canterbury House, still thriving to this day on Huron Street but located back then at 330 Maynard Street. Before rapt audiences on Nov. 9 and 10, Young proved he was more than ready to embark on a solo career that would establish him as one of the definitive singer-songwriters of his generation.

"Sugar Mountain -- Live at Canterbury House 1968" (**** out of four stars, out Dec. 2 on Reprise) is the latest release in Young's Archives Performance Series and a remarkably moving and intimate affair, captured with just two microphones plugged into a two-track recorder. All you hear is Neil on his acoustic guitar playing deeply personal material before what sounds like all of a hundred or so people at the tiny venue. Imagine him in your living room singing, playing and telling stories and you've basically got the idea.

"Sugar Mountain" takes its title from one of the most enduring songs in Young's canon, one he wrote on his 19th birthday. The version included here is the same one found on his essential retrospective "Decade," but otherwise the material on the album has never been heard before. Besides incisive reprises of Buffalo Springfield tracks "Mr. Soul," "Nowadays Clancy Can't Even Sing" and "Expecting to Fly," Young also offers up stirring songs from his self-titled, solo debut, including "The Loner," "I've Been Waiting For You" and the epic "Trip to Tulsa."

Making "Sugar Mountain" a particular treat are Young's lengthy song introductions, which often expand into hilarious stories about how he got fired from a job at a Toronto bookstore (the culprit: diet pills) and how he came to write "The Old Laughing Lady" (while stranded at a Detroit White Tower restaurant on Livernois outside the old Chessmate club). An essential document from Neil Young at the beginning of his solo career, this release will notably not be a part of his long-awaited 10-disc Blu-ray and DVD archives project that might finally see the light of day next year.

• 1 month later...

For all the Neil Young fans here I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about the supposedly imminent release of the first volume of his archives, there's an outstanding write up about them here. In the meantime he's released three albums that will also appear as part of the first volume of the archives, a Fillmore East concert with Crazy Horse (the best of the lot so far), a Massey Hall solo show and the latest, Sugar Mountain: Live at Canterbury House 1968. Not essential Neil by any means but a damn good snapshot of him early on his solo career following the demise of Buffalo Springfield.

31GihqnTNzL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

For those interested here's a review of his recent MSG show which isn't too favorable in regards to the new tunes he's been debuting in concert lately.

For all the Neil Young fans here I'm surprised there hasn't been more talk about the supposedly imminent release of the first volume of his archives, there's an outstanding write up about them here. In the meantime he's released three albums that will also appear as part of the first volume of the archives, a Fillmore East concert with Crazy Horse (the best of the lot so far), a Massey Hall solo show and the latest, Sugar Mountain: Live at Canterbury House 1968. Not essential Neil by any means but a damn good snapshot of him early on his solo career following the demise of Buffalo Springfield.

31GihqnTNzL._SL500_AA240_.jpg

For those interested here's a review of his recent MSG show which isn't too favorable in regards to the new tunes he's been debuting in concert lately.

I just got Sugar Mountain: Live at Canterbury House 1968 and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.