Neil Young

freshmint

While I dig Neil a lot, he just shouldn't have done that electronics album some years ago...soooooo wimpy (ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ) :)

Trans? To each their own but if that's the album you're refering to I'm very glad he did it, as that record was years ahead of it's time. That's one of the many cool things about Neil, he's never been one to follow trends but he isn't afraid to set them in motion or take chances musicially.

^^ Sounds awesome. I have never been to any of his concerts :( He should come to Finland!

But anyway.. Have you got any favourite albums? I love On the Beach, Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, Harvest ( I'm a bit tired of it), Comes A Time... and the list continues...

First 3 you mention are my favorites...also After the Goldrush and Rust Never Sleeps....and of course his collaborations with CSN and Buffalo Springfield. That's a band you should really check out Freshmint....

Yeah, I know Buffalo Springfield :) They've got great stuff... "Broken Arrow" and "Expecting To Fly" ... B)

And Déjà Vu is my all time favourite. CSNY rocks!

Oh what to say? The man's awesome! One of the best ever! I love his music to bits. Albums like Tonight's the Night, After the Goldrush are awesome. I love his album with Crazy Horse ReActor.

Chrome Dreams II is amazing. Can't get Dirty Old Man out of my head.

Some of his songs are all time classics like My My Hey Hey, The Needle and the Damage Done, Cortez the Killer, Harvest Moon, Keep on Rocking in the Free World, Heart of Gold, Like A Hurricane, Alabama...the list goes on.

The Deadman soundtrack is genius and really contributes to the movie's greatness.

His lyrics are always great...

I could go on and on about him!!! This man's genius!!! Long Live The Loner! :)B)

Trans? To each their own but if that's the album you're refering to I'm very glad he did it, as that record was years ahead of it's time. That's one of the many cool things about Neil, he's never been one to follow trends but he isn't afraid to set them in motion or take chances musicially.

I don't remember the title, yeah, it may have been ahead of its time and I accept that, but to do a chart-oriented album at all costs......by the man who sang OHIO from deep down in his heart.....sux in MY op!! :(

Edited by dragster

http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/articl...t_id=1003684939

Young Opens New York Run After Lengthy Delay

young_neil_02l.gif

Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

Undeterred by a fire department investigation and a subsequent nearly 90-minute delay, Neil Young opened a six-night run Wednesday (Dec. 12) at New York's United Palace Theatre with a stellar performance drawn equally from new material as it was vintage gems.

Young's wife Pegi was supposed to open the show with a solo set around 8 p.m., but due to an investigation to ensure the venue was up to current fire code, no fans were let inside until well after 9 p.m. The scene outside was one of mass confusion, with a line stretching around the block and multiple police and fire vehicles parked outside.

Once fans were allowed to enter, it was decided that the opening set would be scrapped and that Young would take the stage directly for a solo acoustic sequence. He didn't disappoint, liberally switching from guitar to piano to banjo on classics such as "A Man Needs a Maid," "Harvest," "Old Man" and "Heart of Gold."

He called the fire code problem a "bullsh*t excuse," but then joked, "unless I catch on fire or something." He also gave appreciation to the intimate venue, saying, "It's great to be able to play like this. [Years ago], I never thought it was going to get any bigger."

After a short break, Young returned with an electric band and promptly tore into rockers like "The Loner," "Dirty Old Man" and "Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere." "The Believer" was dedicated to Ike Turner, who had passed away earlier in the day, while "No Hidden Path" ran well past 20 minutes and featured some of Young's loudest playing of the evening. The encore closed another long jam on "Like a Hurricane."

Young and company return to the United Palace tonight.

Here is Neil Young's set list:

Acoustic set:

"From Hank to Hendrix"

"Ambulance Blues"

"Sad Movies"

"A Man Needs a Maid"

"No One Seems To Know"

"Harvest"

"Journey Through the Past"

"Mellow My Mind"

"Love Art Blues"

"Old Man"

"Heart of Gold"

Electric set:

"The Loner"

"Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere"

"Dirty Old Man"

"Spirit Road"

"Bad Fog of Loneliness"

"Winterlong"

"Oh, Lonesome Me"

"The Believer"

"No Hidden Path"

Encore:

"Cinnamon Girls"

"Don't Cry No Tears"

"Like a Hurricane"

I don't remember the title, yeah, it may have been ahead of its time and I accept that, but to do a chart-oriented album at all costs......by the man who sang OHIO from deep down in his heart.....sux in MY op!! :(

What do you mean by a "chart-oriented" album? If you mean an album aimed at the masses, I don't think Neil Young has it in him to do such a thing. Even if he did, Trans most certainly wasn't it. You have to remember, this is a person that recorded a string of what he percieved to be bad albums just so he could get out of his contract with Geffen Records at the time.

What do you mean by a "chart-oriented" album? If you mean an album aimed at the masses, I don't think Neil Young has it in him to do such a thing. Even if he did, Trans most certainly wasn't it. You have to remember, this is a person that recorded a string of what he percieved to be bad albums just so he could get out of his contract with Geffen Records at the time.

I'll try to explain: to my ears, that album sounded like what Let's Dance must have sounded to die-hard fans of the REAL David Bowie in his Spiders from Mars days.....get the idea?! Luckily, music is subjective.......!

I'll try to explain: to my ears, that album sounded like what Let's Dance must have sounded to die-hard fans of the REAL David Bowie in his Spiders from Mars days.....get the idea?! Luckily, music is subjective.......!

It may have been a left curve but that album didn't have any commercial aspirations whatsoever.