Neil Young

freshmint

I just got Sugar Mountain: Live at Canterbury House 1968 and I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

I've been loving it too. As much as I like the stage banter I'm glad it's sequenced as separate tracks so you can always go straight to the music if your heart desires.

• 3 weeks later...
I've been loving it too. As much as I like the stage banter I'm glad it's sequenced as separate tracks so you can always go straight to the music if your heart desires.

I agree. I really hope to catch him in concert one of these days. Seems I keep missing him. I've seen CSN many times who were amazing but not with Young or Young by himself.

I agree. I really hope to catch him in concert one of these days. Seems I keep missing him. I've seen CSN many times who were amazing but not with Young or Young by himself.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I've never seen CSN but I have had the good fortune to see Neil a couple of times. Once on the Trans tour and again on the Music In Head tour back in 2000. I knew the night was off to a good start when he opened with Powderfinger. He then proceeded to play one outstanding song after another, not a single one a hit. The only downside was an assmonkey on the lawn who kept hollerin' "DONALD!!! DUCK!!! DUNN!!! until he was hoarse.

I've had the exact opposite experience. I've never seen CSN but I have had the good fortune to see Neil a couple of times. Once on the Trans tour and again on the Music In Head tour back in 2000. I knew the night was off to a good start when he opened with Powderfinger. He then proceeded to play one outstanding song after another, not a single one a hit. The only downside was an assmonkey on the lawn who kept hollerin' "DONALD!!! DUCK!!! DUNN!!! until he was hoarse.

Great opener indeed! Well the first time I saw CSN was at Live Aid and David Crosby was in bad shape then. I saw them a few years later after he cleaned up in a concert hall with an ex who hated them but even HE couldn't believe how good they were. Spot on harmonies and just amazing.

David Crosby and Graham Nash toured with David Gilmour a couple of years ago and the three of them did an acapella version of Find the Cost of Freedom that was pretty powerful.

No ass monkeys though thank goodness :lol:

Neil's one of the best artist to ever walked this fucking earth...

I love him with a deep, profound passion.

I'm actually reading his bio, Shakey, and after each page, my love for him grows stronger.

Favorite albums:

ALL OF 'EM!!! :beer:

I feel the same way.

Complete and utter legend.

If I had to single out one album though, it would be On The Beach

• 2 months later...
Has anyone heard the tracks from Fork in the Road yet? I heard a couple from the bootlegs on his recent tour, I haven't had the chance to pick the album yet.

I've heard a few here and there but not the entire record. From what I understand it's good but not necessarily great. If you want to sample it there should be a few videos on YouTube. You can also check out the film I just posted about on Neil's website.

• 4 weeks later...

Neil Young's Archives: A sneak peek

If you check the weather in Hades today, don't be surprised to find Beelzebub shoveling snow.

Neil Young's Archives project is real. I just viewed a sampler Blu-Ray disc, ahead of the full 10-disc first volume's official release on June 2.

And if the taster disc that arrived in my mailbox today is a representative sample, it looks to be a game changing approach to documenting an artistic life. If the depth of information and creativity exemplified here is matched throughout the Archives' mooted three box sets, then 20 years of broken promises and disappointments related to this project will vanish the moment your home system loads the wickedly interactive Blu-Ray version.

The two-decades running melodrama of Young's on-again, off-again scheme to unveil his career-spanning opus is well documented (I took a crack at it here). Some months ago, June 2, 2009 was announced as the once-and-for-all, for reals release date for Blu-Ray, DVD and CD versions of the set. As an added come-along, if you ordered the whole magilla through Neil's website, you would receive a bonus "preview disc." And that's what arrived at my door today.

At this point, having followed this saga for so long and watched the set emerge on label release schedules and then mysteriously vanish, I knew better than to get my hopes up. And even now, with the preview disc in hand, I still half expect Neil could put the kibosh on the project once more between now and June 2.

With all those qualifications aside, here's what's on the disc.

Click here to read the rest of the article.

• 3 weeks later...

Neil Young

Don't Be Denied

A resolutely private artist who seldom looks back, Neil Young has never before unfolded his career on camera. With unprecedented access to one of the world’s renowned music legends, American Masters presents Neil Young: Don’t Be Denied premiering nationally Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 9 p.m. (ET) on PBS (check local listings). The film explores how Young’s unbending dedication to the muse has created an awe-inspiring body of work and bruised a few egos along the way.

Watch a preview and read more about the special by clicking here.

Edited by Jahfin

• 2 weeks later...

It was very good...I watched it 3 times. It prompted me to go have a listen to some old favorites again. The show made me realize his "reasoning" about not going in the same direction musically is similar to Plants....which to me...makes more sense now after watching this show.

Neil Young

Don't Be Denied

A resolutely private artist who seldom looks back, Neil Young has never before unfolded his career on camera. With unprecedented access to one of the world’s renowned music legends, American Masters presents Neil Young: Don’t Be Denied premiering nationally Wednesday, June 10, 2009 at 9 p.m. (ET) on PBS (check local listings). The film explores how Young’s unbending dedication to the muse has created an awe-inspiring body of work and bruised a few egos along the way.

Neil Young

Don't Be Denied

Thanks for positing this. I missed it the first time it showed, but I'm going to catch when it's repeated later this month.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

dreaminmancover.jpg

From Neil's website:

DREAMIN' MAN, Neil Young Archives Performance Series #12, will be released on or about Nov. 2nd, 17 years after the original release of Harvest Moon. A closer look at Harvest Moon songs, all performed solo acoustic before the release of Harvest Moon, DREAMIN' MAN contains intimate live performances recorded in concert halls during 1992.

Edited by Jahfin