Neil Young

freshmint

From jambands.com:

A Tribute to Neil Young at Carnegie Hall

gaticket-353x.jpg

City Winery/Knitting Factory founder Michael Dorf’s next tribute concert will honor the music of Neil Young. The performance will take place at New York’s Carnegie Hall on February 10, featuring 20 artists covering Young’s music. 100% of the net proceeds from this event benefit the following charities: Fixing Instruments for Kids in Schools, Church Street School for Music & Art, The Pinwheel Project, Music Unites, The American Symphony Orchestra and Young Audiences New York. Dorf’s previous concerts have honored Bob Dylan, Bruce Springsteen, R.E.M. and others.

Edited by Jahfin

Neil Young's Trove Damaged in San Carlos Warehouse Fire

By RJ MIDDLETON

One of Neil Young's vintage cars, memorabilia musical instruments and art have been damaged during a three-alarm fire in San Carlos this morning, according to the Belmont-San Carlos Fire Department and the Associated Press.

The early-morning warehouse fire in San Carlos has burned through some of what guitar legend Young had stored there. The fire department assess they saved about 70 percent of Young's items.

Young's family was also at the scene this morning, with a photographer to help document the damage.

Reports were first received at 2:55am for a fire burning at 595 Quarry Rd, according to the Belmont-San Carlos dispatcher. The building is estimated at 10,000-square-feet.

That address is associated with Fable Inc., a manufacturer of architectural metalwork for homes and businesses, according to the manufacturer's website.

The manufacturer describes the warehouse as a 15,000-square-foot space devoted to the production of railings, gates, doors, and balconies.

Bay City News Network contributed to this report.

Edited by Jahfin

Man, I wish he and a few others had better vaults, like the one here for Mormon records, built into a solid granite mountain with special air flow and I guess one of the best archive vaults anywhere.

How scary it must have been. Thank God most was saved. I read it may have started in his car that he just showcased.

AND it was just his birthday. Happy Birthday Neil! 65.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

From RollingStone.com:

Exclusive: Hear Neil Young's Unreleased Country-Rock Gem 'Amber Jean'

Gorgeous 1984 tune will be featured on Young's new archival disc, 'A Treasure'

main.jpg

Tim Mosenfelder/Getty Images

By ANDY GREENE

Click here to listen to Neil Young's "Amber Jean"

In the early Eighties Neil Young moved from genre to genre at a frantic pace – jumping from vocoder-infused New Wave to rockabilly to country in just a few short years. In 1984 and 1985 he toured with the country group the International Harvesters, playing a large number of songs that never found their way onto albums. On June 14th he's finally releasing some of this material on the archival live disc A Treasure. The set contains 12 tracks drawn from various shows on those tours, including five that have never been released. Check out a stream of "Amber Jean," a tribute to Young's daughter Amber that he began playing in concert just weeks after she was born.

Young just wrapped up his year-long Twisted Road American theater tour, and next month he's hitting the road with Buffalo Springfield for their first tour since 1968. He's supposedly working on the second volume of his massive Neil Young Archives box set, but when it's actually going to come out is anyone's guess. He tends to take his time on these things.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

LA TIMES article about Neil Young's latest release, "A Treasure".

LISTEN TO WHAT GOT HIM SUED

Neil Young releases what Geffen Records didn't consider 'A Treasure'

By Randy Lewis

The recent news that country singer Tim McGraw's record company is suing him over his latest album is just the latest of many stranger-than-fiction examples of artist-label relations going south.

In 1993, the head of John Fogerty's record label sued him for sounding too much like...John Fogerty, arguing that his single "The Old Man Down the Road" was merely a remake of Fogerty's old Creedence Clearwater Revival hit "Run Through the Jungle". (Fogerty won.)

That had followed an equally surreal case from 1984, when Neil Young was sued by his label at the time, Geffen Records, for not sounding enough like himself.

That's the backdrop for the release of a collection out of the Canadian rocker's archive, 'A Treasure', a batch of live performances circa 1984-85 when he'd assembled a country-rock band that toured as the International Harvesters.

Read the rest here...

Edited by Strider

Neil's turned out some less than stellar work over the years but that really doesn't matter because Neil does what Neil wants, damn the consequences. You would think other musicians would strive for the same level of artistic freedom but unfortunately, they're all too eager to give into record company demands in the name of the almighty dollar.

Do you think Atlantic would have told Led Zeppelin to go back in the studio if they didn't think a record sounded "Zeppelin" enough? And what do you think Peter and Jimmy would have said to them in reply? :lol:

I've sometimes wondered what if Jimmy hadn't been so smacked out, and he developed his idea of a guitar-army further and Led Zeppelin came up with something like My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" album...or he worked more on his idea of using a bow on the guitar and created a Sigur Rós-type sound...how would the record label and public have reacted to that?

I know, speaking for myself, I would have LOVED it if Led Zeppelin had gone in those directions!

Do you think Atlantic would have told Led Zeppelin to go back in the studio if they didn't think a record sounded "Zeppelin" enough? And what do you think Peter and Jimmy would have said to them in reply? :lol:

I've sometimes wondered what if Jimmy hadn't been so smacked out, and he developed his idea of a guitar-army further and Led Zeppelin came up with something like My Bloody Valentine's "Loveless" album...or he worked more on his idea of using a bow on the guitar and created a Sigur Rós-type sound...how would the record label and public have reacted to that?

I know, speaking for myself, I would have LOVED it if Led Zeppelin had gone in those directions!

Hi Strider,

I know that whatever Jimmys musical direction would have taken him it would be in my collection. ;)

Regards, Danny

That's what the critics were saying about LZ III.

Neil's turned out some less than stellar work over the years but that really doesn't matter because Neil does what Neil wants, damn the consequences. You would think other musicians would strive for the same level of artistic freedom but unfortunately, they're all too eager to give into record company demands in the name of the almighty dollar.

True. And then he comes along and blows my mind again and again. Nobody does it like Neil. And that clip you posted was hilarious....gotta love Neil!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've heard a few different performances of my favorite Neil song, Cortez. The live versions vary from the classic studio version off Zuma. But, I've yet to hear one that isn't jaw dropping good to me. Case in point, this one I found on You/Tube recently. This version the tempo picks up more at the end than any other version, but it's a nice variation imo.

Neil Young and Crazy Horse 1986.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYULyAF_LpQ

• 1 month later...

In addition to news about a possible new album with Crazy Horse, Neil continues to expound on what he sees as the poor quality of music today. Not the lack of good new music but the sound quality of the medium itself.

Neil Young Angered By 'Sound Of Music Today'

'We're in the 21st century and we have the worst sound that we've ever had,' Young tells MTV News at Sundance Film Festival.

Edited by Jahfin

In addition to news about a possible new album with Crazy Horse, Neil continues to expound on what he sees as the poor quality of music today. Not the lack of good new music but the sound quality of the medium itself.

Thanks for the post and link, Jahfin. Very interesting, but I wasn't too surprised by Neil's comments. Sound seems to be of paramount importance to him with all his releases.

I read somewhere (sorry I don't have a source) that Neil Young was pushing his Blu-Ray Archive Collection Vol. 1 over the standard DVD and especially the CD version. I was reading all the reviews over at Amazon where there are many who complain because the Blu-Ray is almost 300 dollars and the CD version under 100 dollars. But Neil has supposedly said there are big differences that one would notice. Here is what one person wrote who said it came directly from Neil's site.

"Audio in the Blu-ray edition is presented in ultra-high resolution 24-bit / 192 kHz stereo PCM state-of-the-art master quality sound, while audio in the DVD edition is presented in high resolution 24-bit / 96 kHz stereo PCM audiophile quality sound. The CD edition is presented in standard resolution 16-bit / 44 kHz stereo PCM CD quality sound."

I know in another post I read you were doing some things with radio and so maybe you can tell me if you think these technical numbers (which I've not researched the meanings of yet) would make a difference worth 200 dollars. I would be inerested in what you think.

I'm glad Neil is releasing some music with Crazy Horse soon, his best band imo.

Thanks! ......... :) missy

I can't speak to the technical aspects of that Neil box set but I will say that I still haven't picked it up. Mainly because it didn't exactly include the abundance of rare material he'd promised. However, I did buy the separate archival releases such as the Fillmore and Massey Hall sets. Another reason not to buy the complete box.