Neil Young

freshmint

Jahfin, I have held off buying the Archives too for now. I do own Massey Hall and am thinking of getting Fillmore. Did you think the Fillmore CD was worth it for only 6 songs? I wonder why so few?

I'm not sure if this would interest you, but the Riverboat performance CD is available as a standalone purchase through Neil's site for about $22.00. That one is unavailable separately from the Archives anywhere else as far as I know.

Last question, would it be logical to assume that since the CD's are @ 44 kHz and the Blu-Ray are @192 kHZ that the Blu-Ray would sound 4 times better with decent speakers? I am wondering because if the price drops I might go for it, especially if the sound is 4 times better on the BR. .......missy

Jahfin, I have held off buying the Archives too for now. I do own Massey Hall and am thinking of getting Fillmore. Did you think the Fillmore CD was worth it for only 6 songs? I wonder why so few?

I love it myself. I can't remember all of the details but I think there was some editing done so perhaps it's not the complete performance.

I'm not sure if this would interest you, but the Riverboat performance CD is available as a standalone purchase through Neil's site for about $22.00. That one is unavailable separately from the Archives anywhere else as far as I know.

Thanks for the heads up, that's one of the archival releases that I don't have. Same for Dreamin' Man Live '92 which, I believe, is supposed to be part of the next set of archives from Neil.

Last question, would it be logical to assume that since the CD's are @ 44 kHz and the Blu-Ray are @192 kHZ that the Blu-Ray would sound 4 times better with decent speakers? I am wondering because if the price drops I might go for it, especially if the sound is 4 times better on the BR. .......missy

Like I said, I don't really know anything about the technical aspects of those releases. Perhaps someone here with more knowledge in that area can assist you. Oftentimes, when I tell people that I worked in radio, they seem to think I worked on radios, which is not the case. I was an announcer and played records. I have little to no knowledge of amps, speakers, etc., when it comes to specs and that sort of thing. This place is crawling with gearheads so I suspect one of them ought to be able to help answer your question.

New Neil Young & Crazy Horse now streaming.

http://www.neilyoung.com/

Thank you, sir. That happened way much sooner than expected. In fact, given it was Neil, I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen at all.

**Edited to add: Now that I've listened to close to half of what's streaming, I'm not so sure this is anything that's actually going to be released as it's one long instrumental jam (with vocals not kicking in until around the 23 minute mark). Still nice to hear Neil & Crazy Horse in any form though.

***Edited to add (again):

From the Thrasher's Wheat blog:

"not an album.. two jams of old songs (Fuckin' Up and Cortez The Killer). VERY COOL!"

Edited by Jahfin

Thank you, sir. That happened way much sooner than expected. In fact, given it was Neil, I wasn't sure it was ever going to happen at all.

**Edited to add: Now that I've listened to close to half of what's streaming, I'm not so sure this is anything that's actually going to be released as it's one long instrumental jam (with vocals not kicking in until around the 23 minute mark). Still nice to hear Neil & Crazy Horse in any form though.

***Edited to add (again):

From the Thrasher's Wheat blog:

"not an album.. two jams of old songs (Fuckin' Up and Cortez The Killer). VERY COOL!"

Check this out.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/neil-youngs-mysterious-jam-revealed-as-crazy-horse-recording-session/

Hopefully a new album means a tour.

Wouldn't that be the icing on the cake?

I took a good listen to the 38 minute jam session and thought it was great.

Neil can still rock with the best of them. I will preorder this one as soon as a release date is given.

And please yes, a tour too Neil (with Crazy Horse). :)

Thanks for the links, Reggie. Of course all of this Crazy Horse talk begs the question of what will become of the Buffalo Springfield tour that was originally scheduled for this year. As any fan of Neil Young is well aware, he never stays focused on any one thing for too long so if a Crazy Horse tour becomes a reality, there's a damn good chance that Buffalo Springfield tour will be shelved indefinitely (and very possibly, permanently).

Thanks for the links, Reggie. Of course all of this Crazy Horse talk begs the question of what will become of the Buffalo Springfield tour that was originally scheduled for this year. As any fan of Neil Young is well aware, he never stays focused on any one thing for too long so if a Crazy Horse tour becomes a reality, there's a damn good chance that Buffalo Springfield tour will be shelved indefinitely (and very possibly, permanently).

Crosby, Stills and Nash are also kicking off a world tour in March, starting in none other than New Zealand. Should be a good show, shame Neil isn't with them.

Lets hope if he tours the new album he ventures down under eh Reg?

Though it's not part of a tour, he and Crazy Horse already have one concert date scheduled for February 10th in Los Angeles where they'll be performing as part of the MusiCares tribute to Paul McCartney. More on that from the Thrasher's Wheat blog.

Here's some more info on the new Crazy Horse albums (yes, it looks like there's two):

Exclusive: Neil Young Discussing Crazy Horse Reunion (From Rolling Stone)

Edited by Jahfin

• 4 weeks later...