• Shaken 'n' Stirred
    • Now And Zen
    • Manic Nirvana
    • Fate Of Nations
    • Dreamland
    • Mighty ReArranger
    • Raising Sand
    • Band Of Joy

I'm just now starting to get into Plant's solo career, so I was wondering what your favorite Plant albums were. Also Page and Plant albums don't count.

There's much to enjoy on all of them, but my favourite is "Fate of Nations", by about a million miles. A stunning,thought-provoking album.

I have to agree, overall I think Fate of Nations is Plants finest material as a solo artist. While very unique in its own right it also harkened back to the way Zeppelin did albums. It had that moroccan musical "vibe" weaving through it but at the same time it didnt stick to one genre (It wasnt just a hard rock or country album in other words). Mighty Rearranger did this as well, just not quite as good IMO.

Even though I do love all of Robert's solo works, I would have to say that Manic Nirvana is probably my favorite of them all. I have said before that I consider "Big Love" and "I Cried" to be two of my favorite all-time Robert Plant songs. Especially "I Cried".

Fate of nations and Mighty Rearranger are the ones that i tend to go back to more often these days, but as a 17 year old in 1988 Now and Zen was the one. Sounded fresh and new at the time I couldn't get enough of it that year.

Played the hell out of Now and Zen when it came out... some songs sound dated now, such as Tall Cool One, but Heaven Knows and Ship of Fools still sound fresh to me. I also love the mood of Big Log and Robbie Blunt's guitar playing on Principle of Moments. So Now and Zen and Prin of Moments.

lol yeah I was around the same age when it was released. And agreed Now and Zen made quite a stir that year (88). Honestly it made a lot of commotion simply because of the few Zeppelin samples included on it. But I thought it was a just a good album and actually included a few catchy tunes. To me it was kinda "new wavish" and "post modern" so it did feel fresh in a way.

It was the first time that Plant seemed to loosen his stance of leaving all things Zeppelin behind and celebrating it while at the same time moving forward musically. In many ways it laid the foundation of how he approached his solo career from then on (Doing new stuff, but mixing the old in their to and/or doing the old stuff in a new way).

If I recall the follow up tour also was a first to include live Zeppelin tunes in a Plant concert. Wow fond memories for sure. :)

I'm just now starting to get into Plant's solo career, so I was wondering what your favorite Plant albums were. Also Page and Plant albums don't count.

FATE OF NATIONS (in my opinion) far eclipses the rest of the Plant catalogue. Still on rotation on the car CD stacker for the drive to work. Pictures at Eleven is up there as is Principle of Moments, but for me, FATE OF NATIONS has the vote.

**On another note, Black Country Communion I & II are on present car CD rotation...great rockin albums for this decade.**

Fate of Nations for me...vastly underrated album. Mighty Rearranger is a close second.

Oddly enough, I don't really consider Raising Sand and Band of Joy part of Plant's solo work...to me they are more like collaborations with other great artists. Plus, most, if not all, of the songs are cover tunes.

Fate of Nations for me...vastly underrated album. Mighty Rearranger is a close second.

Oddly enough, I don't really consider Raising Sand and Band of Joy part of Plant's solo work...to me they are more like collaborations with other great artists. Plus, most, if not all, of the songs are cover tunes.

I see where you're coming from concerning Raising Sand and Band of Joy, and I might lump the Honeydrippers in there as well. I just included them since they are distinct from Led Zeppelin and Jimmy Page and are part of his post-Zeppelin career. I know Page was on the Honeydrippers, but that was a Plant-led production more than anything.

Dreamland is also largely covers, would you also not consider it part of Plant's solo oeuvre? I could see where Raising Sand could be considered a "collaboration" because it is but I wouldn't put the Band of Joy or Honeydrippers albums into that category. The Band of Joy is his backing band, no different than The Strange Sensation or any other group of musicians he's worked with in the past. Same for the Honeydrippers.

• 1 month later...

I always go back to "Pictures" his first solo work. After John died there was such a void. MTV had taken over and the only video with any of the remaining members, at first, was Robert singing Little Sister. When Pictures came out I was so thrilled. Cassettes were the thing and I went through two of them.

• 5 months later...
  • 9 months later...

<Mighty Rearranger> I love that album, from start to finish. Sounds so fresh and I have weakness for the songs with <arabic waves>.

Tin Pan Alley (so dark, I love when exploits).

All the king horses

Enchanter

Another Tribe

Somebody Knockin'

Dancing in Heaven

Freedom Fries

:stereo:

• 3 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 years later...

Might Rearranger is my favorite Plant album by a very wide margin.  It has a heaviness befitting him and the lyrics are fantastic, especially Another Tribe, Tin Pan Valley, and the title track.  The album is full of great ideas well executed.  Plant sounds terrific throughout and the band shines.  A dynamic and very creative record from start to finish.  Plant recaptured his true greatness on this record.

Archived