JOHN PAUL JONES & SUPERSILENT

sam_webmaster

• Administrators

JOHN PAUL JONES & SUPERSILENT

John Paul Jones will once again join forces with Helge Sten and Supersilent, this time for a performance at the Molde International Jazz Festival in Norway on 19 July 2011.

2zri1zq.jpg

JPJ's Kyma-enhanced bass is a fitting addition to Supersilent's signature use of synthesis, looping, theremins, and Helge Sten's own Kyma sound designs. Jones' first collaboration with Supersilent was at last year's Punkt Festival, prompting John Kelman to write in All About Jazz:

"…this was no conventional bass solo, as Jones began with relatively normal textures, but gradually moved to greater extremes, using ring modulation to create oblique harmonies, overdrive to create dense textures, and assorted other effects to create a piece that ebbed and flowed, building to periodic climaxes only to settle and begin the climb once again. Beautiful chords gave way to angular expressionism, as Jones delivered a short set that, for those unfamiliar with his post-Zep work, must have been a shock to the system, but set a clear context for the collaboration with Supersilent to follow."

http://news.symbolic...es-supersilent/

johnpauljones.com

:yay::cheer::yay:

Thanks sam! This is most welcome information.

News like this warms the cockles of my heart...or the heart of my cockles. Whatever.

Now, when Jimmy's site starts having similar announcements popping up in HIS news section, that's when I'll know things are finally moving forward on Planet Page.

Wow! Jones has the humility and lack of ego to really get results. I think TCV dwarfs anything the others have done in recent years, and is the big news musically for the ex members. He came out with an utterly new project, putting the music 1st, not calling it the JPJ band or whatever. And now Supersilent, great. He obvioulsy doesn't care about commerciality, and takes risks and makes surprises musically. He has the appettite of an up and comer trying to prove himself, its excellent.

Excellent! Thanks Sam! I've been digging supersilent for a while, so to see them hook up with Jones is extra special! So far this is the only clip on youtube...hopefully more pop up.

• 11 months later...

Sorry, but I just don't get it. Maybe I'm like Pete Townsend regarding his feeling towards Zeppelin, but the JPJ / Supersilent video is a load of noise that is painful to the ears. sounds like a bad band warming up in an elementary school.

Oh John I like you pushing the boat out and with TCV it was good in parts and admire you for your talent as a musician, no question, but that clip has to be the biggest load of noise, its awful, make speed metal sound tame. I do like all sorts of music but, thanks for the heads up with the clip, I know not to pay my hard earned cash, those other guys must think how on earth have got such a legend, wonder creative musician to be roped in with us.

• 2 weeks later...

mainpost-wuerzburg.gif

The Main Post has an interview with John Paul Jones. From what I can figure (it's in German) it's an interesting conversation where he discusses Supersilent, Them Crooked Vultures and opera.

John Paul Jones with Supersilent will be appearing August 1st at a festival in the city of Würzburg, Northern Bavaria.

Link to interview here:

http://www.mainpost....;art735,6946362

All the Supersilent clips have sounded the same. I'm guessing that a cellphone mic just doesn't pick up the bass/sub-bass frequencies that a quality microphone would.

If a soundboard would be released, I think y'all would have a different viewpoint on this.

All the Supersilent clips have sounded the same. I'm guessing that a cellphone mic just doesn't pick up the bass/sub-bass frequencies that a quality microphone would.

If a soundboard would be released, I think y'all would have a different viewpoint on this.

OK I have "listened" to that garbage again and I am sorry but that is, well I am sorry, but words fail me. :thumbdown: I have even put it through my amp and it was even worse. Hey Jonesey don't give up your day job?

Thanks Sam and zemun for posting the latest from this pairing of John Paul Jones and Supersilent. I am so jealous of our European brethren...I have seen Supersilent but not with John Paul Jones.

Let me assure you, these cellphone clips DO NOT do Supersilent's sound justice. It is a mistake to judge this collaboration from a cellphone quality clip.

But even if this isn't your cup of tea, and I'll admit that it can be dissonant and harsh music...'noise', if you like...I don't understand the hostility shown towards John Paul Jones in some of the negative posts here. You don't like the music? Fine. But why the mean-spiritedness towards one of the nicest, most genuine musicians on the planet?

But even if this isn't your cup of tea, and I'll admit that it can be dissonant and harsh music...'noise', if you like...I don't understand the hostility shown towards John Paul Jones in some of the negative posts here. You don't like the music? Fine. But why the mean-spiritedness towards one of the nicest, most genuine musicians on the planet?

right on, Strider! these guys seem to be mainly just improvising (something another band used to do many years ago) and taking things a bit offroad, which one can decide to like or not. JPJ is certainly in a position to play the music he likes to play and doesnt need to play blues, rock or pop music at all if he feels like that adds nothing to the picture within this musical frame. he is active and keeps pushing the boundaries, good enough for me!:)

and to check a little into his experiments here it seems to me the strings on his 12 string(!!) bass are tuned slack to purposely obtain that flat sound instead of more "tuned" notes. or how else could he steadily fingerpick this 12 string monster ?

Archived