Robert Plant "Non Stop Go" Tour 1988

• 9 months later...
  • Administrators
On 12/8/2019 at 6:53 AM, RickK said:

I saw SRV opening for Plant in Ohio on May 25 1988. Robert brought out 3 old band mates after the first song. A warm up show prior to the New York 1988 reunion. Anyone else see this show? SRV was on fire. 

I heard an old audience recording of that show. Is that when they played 'Back In the USSR'? Hard to tell who is onstage on the tape.

On 12/8/2019 at 8:53 PM, RickK said:

I saw SRV opening for Plant in Ohio on May 25 1988. Robert brought out 3 old band mates after the first song. A warm up show prior to the New York 1988 reunion. Anyone else see this show? SRV was on fire. 

The press coverage mentions nothing about old band mates being brought out, and the reunion show in New York was May 14, 1988.

1 hour ago, sam_webmaster said:

I heard an old audience recording of that show. Is that when they played 'Back In the USSR'? Hard to tell who is onstage on the tape.

Yes it is, Sam per The Akron Beacon Journal (5/26/88).

1988 05 26  Akron Beacon Journal, The (Akron, OH).jpg

• 3 months later...

Bit of a long shot maybe but just wondering if anyone has a recording of the 3.20.88 show at the Birmingham Powerhouse, UK? I know that a decent AUD exists somewhere cos I picked it up on cassette at a record fair in '88 but later let it go.  I was at this show aged 17 and would love to here it again. It was a magic evening and a fine performance.  Scoured the interweb for it but no luck so far. Hope this request is ok and thanks in advance for any responses.

Edited by renounce

• 1 month later...

The plant and page, gamblers blues medley was a very interesting blues dirge from that time1988, jimmy implementing his prison blues on that jam. My brother had the bootleg on vinyl at one time, and now i notice on youtube its only got 400 plus views, such a shame. 

• 4 months later...
On 7/20/2011 at 3:04 PM, SinceIveBeenLovingU said:

I also interviewed both Plant and Blackwell for my radio show and a feature article in the Oklahoma Gazette in advance of the Nov. 18th date where we talked about the shower incident. Pretty funny stuff...good laughs; Spinal Tap drummer jokes all around. The interview quickly devolved into a Monty Python sketch. Bloody hilarious. Eventually I will digitize these goodies (when I find those confounded, elusive boxes) and share `em here too.

Hi there - if you get the chance I would love to hear this interview. I do remember it being very funny and at one point I seem to remember a bowl of strawberries becoming involved. Anyway, would really appreciate it if you could dig it out and send me a copy. Cheers!

Chris Blackwell - wrist no longer broken!

On 9/10/2020 at 1:02 PM, Chris Blackwell said:

That Harley T-Shirt I'm wearing ... my 16 year old son Jake now wears that! Keep telling him it's vintage and now he believes me.

Thanks for posting!

😎👍 cool stuff 

I’ve still got my “non-stop go” Tour vintage T-shirt and Knebworth 90 t-shirt when Jimmy Page joined y’all on stage. Thanks for checking in online, Chris. 

R😎

5B01887E-551F-4EDD-9106-48D73DD455C7.jpeg

Edited by reids

• 2 weeks later...

Plant-Beasties.jpg.9f79f0a7d5951f8c3c13b48ca5a11968.jpg

How The Beastie Boys Inspired Robert Plant's 'Tall Cool One'

Corey Irwin - September 21, 2020

In 1998, Robert Plant scored a hit with his song "Tall Cool One," a track which - to the surprise of many - sampled the rocker's previous band.

The song was the third single released from Now and Zen, Plant's fourth solo LP since the breakup of Led Zeppelin. Not only did former bandmate Jimmy Page play guitar on the track, but "Tall Cool One" also included samples of several classic Led Zeppelin hits.

"The Beastie Boys had just been sampling Bonzo (Zeppelin drummer John Bonham)," Plant recalled in an edition of his Digging Deep podcast. "And I thought, 'well that's a good idea.' You can't get a better drum sound."

The Beastie Boys had famously used Led Zeppelin samples throughout their 1986 debut album Licensed to Ill. The trio's "Rhymin & Stealin" used Bonham's bombastic drum beats from "When the Levee Breaks," while songs "She's Crafty" and "Time to Get Ill" sampled Led Zep's "The Ocean" and "Custard Pie" respectively.

Listen to the Beastie Boys' "Rhymin & Stealin"

"If you think of "When the Levee Breaks' or something," Plant continued, "this is mic placement, Jimmy Page on acid, it just was so good. So why not use it again? And again and again and again and again"

"Tall Cool One" sampled the Led Zeppelin songs "Black Dog," "Dazed and Confused," Whole Lotta Love," "The Ocean" and "Custard Pie." But while the Beastie Boys had bravely (or foolishly) sampled other artists without permission, leaving open the possibility of legal action, Plant had no such concerns.

"As I was still with Atlantic Records then, there was no point in suing me because I was already on their label anyway!," the rocker explained.

For his vocal part, Plant searched for different influences, looking to create a "camp rock" kind of style, "a little bit somewhere between Iggy Pop and Talking Heads."

The decision was attention-grabbing, though not surprising given Plant's history as one of rock's most experimental frontmen. The stylistic choice paid off as "Tall Cool One" hit No. 1 on the Billboard Mainstream Rock Chart and No. 25 on the all-genre Hot 100 chart. The track's video also earned heavy rotation on MTV, something Plant thoroughly enjoyed.

"I was on maximum rotation," the singer boasted. "I was chest to the ear in 1969, king of cock-rock in 1970 and then, by 1988 I was on maximum rotation, which I felt really good about. I had a mullet. Everything was going my way!"

Watch Robert Plant's Music Video for "Tall Cool One"

https://ultimateclassicrock.com/robert-plant-beastie-boys-tall-cool-one/

Edited by luvlz2

• 7 months later...
On 3/10/2020 at 4:44 PM, renounce said:

Bit of a long shot maybe but just wondering if anyone has a recording of the 3.20.88 show at the Birmingham Powerhouse, UK? I know that a decent AUD exists somewhere cos I picked it up on cassette at a record fair in '88 but later let it go.  I was at this show aged 17 and would love to here it again. It was a magic evening and a fine performance.  Scoured the interweb for it but no luck so far. Hope this request is ok and thanks in advance for any responses.

I was there too. I 'd love to hear this gig!

Man, has reading all of this been a trip down Memory Lane.  I was 17 (living in Maine at the time) and on a senior class trip (through an educational exchange group) to London when we were given one night to do whatever we wanted.  Three of my friends and I scalped tickets to the April 17, 1988 Plant gig at the Hammersmith Odeon.  Talk about blind luck and the alignment of the stars.  When Jimmy Page came out for the encores and played Trampled Under Foot, Misty Mountain Hop, Gambler's Blues (which I was not familiar with at the time, but seemed to involve bits of I Can't Quit You and Since I've Been Loving You), and finished with yet one more encore - Rock and Roll... I thought I might have been seeing things. I heard later that Page and Plant were tuning up for a reunion for an Atlantic Records celebration a month after this, but for years, I found it nearly impossible to get anyone to believe this had happened - never mind that I had actually witnessed it - but thank goodness for the Internet!  Now I can even listen to those bootleg snippets someone posted of the show (thank you so much to whoever that was).  Was anyone else at this show?  Thanks for letting me Ramble On...

• 5 months later...
On 9/21/2017 at 3:41 PM, luvlz2 said:

Love how on Gambler's Blues Robert is singing lines he was singing with Jimmy back in 70 and 71 during WLL and HMMT jams ("bought you fur coat for Xmas and a diamond ring" etc)

Saw him on both legs of this tour, first one in Sacramento, second at Oakland Coliseum 11/25/88. The second one was a great show. Like the JP show from a month earlier, the boot got made lickety split, and I was listening to it almost immediately. The same taper made both tapes. During "Tall Cool One", he talks directly into the mic, telling people "I want a Coke!" and "get your iced cold cokes right here, courtesy of Robert Plant!" 😂 He says it in a strange way, and it adds to the fun. Buddy, if you're reading this .. thanks for taping those shows!!

I've always loved this phase of Robert's career. The 80s occasionally gets a bad rap, as do legacy rockers sounding too "pop". There is nothing wrong with pop music. All rock and roll is essentially pop. David Bowie's "Let's Dance" is the perfect example of the media and people in general shitting on an overly pop sounding record (iLD is one of my fav Bowie records and a masterpiece imho). Back to Plant - he's embracing pop, both on the 88 album and with his performances - and it sounds great.

You can channel energy and inspiration through devices that run on technology. It is absolutely doable. The Eurythmics are the best and most famous example of that, but we don't need to go down the "Art of Noise" rabbithole lol.  When Now and Zen was released in late spring of 88, it sounded like someone waking up. It sounded like a tiny white light was zipping around the drum machine, amps, going through the guitar cable, through Plant's voice, into the mixing board and onto the master tapes. (No I was not a heavy drug user in the 80s lol). I think most of it sounds fantastic to this day. "Helen of Troy" sounds like an updated 80s version of "Blue Suede Shoes" or "Be Bop a Lula" - a song about nothing but feeling like it's about *everything*. It's like he's thinking to himself "hey, I can do the Eddie Cochran thing for real now! I can do whatever the fuck I WANT. This is gonna be fun." Anyway, to my ears it's an incredibly joyous, euphoric sounding song that is the wildest and funnest thing he did since Houses of the Holy. I think the album was made in a certain casual/carefree spirit (while still making sure it sounded good), he got together a group of young 'uns, and just had a good ol time.  

On 10/26/2021 at 7:54 AM, 1975NQ said:

Saw him on both legs of this tour, first one in Sacramento, second at Oakland Coliseum 11/25/88. The second one was a great show. Like the JP show from a month earlier, the boot got made lickety split, and I was listening to it almost immediately. The same taper made both tapes. During "Tall Cool One", he talks directly into the mic, telling people "I want a Coke!" and "get your iced cold cokes right here, courtesy of Robert Plant!" 😂 He says it in a strange way, and it adds to the fun. Buddy, if you're reading this .. thanks for taping those shows!!

I've always loved this phase of Robert's career. The 80s occasionally gets a bad rap, as do legacy rockers sounding too "pop". There is nothing wrong with pop music. All rock and roll is essentially pop. David Bowie's "Let's Dance" is the perfect example of the media and people in general shitting on an overly pop sounding record (iLD is one of my fav Bowie records and a masterpiece imho). Back to Plant - he's embracing pop, both on the 88 album and with his performances - and it sounds great.

You can channel energy and inspiration through devices that run on technology. It is absolutely doable. The Eurythmics are the best and most famous example of that, but we don't need to go down the "Art of Noise" rabbithole lol.  When Now and Zen was released in late spring of 88, it sounded like someone waking up. It sounded like a tiny white light was zipping around the drum machine, amps, going through the guitar cable, through Plant's voice, into the mixing board and onto the master tapes. (No I was not a heavy drug user in the 80s lol). I think most of it sounds fantastic to this day. "Helen of Troy" sounds like an updated 80s version of "Blue Suede Shoes" or "Be Bop a Lula" - a song about nothing but feeling like it's about *everything*. It's like he's thinking to himself "hey, I can do the Eddie Cochran thing for real now! I can do whatever the fuck I WANT. This is gonna be fun." Anyway, to my ears it's an incredibly joyous, euphoric sounding song that is the wildest and funnest thing he did since Houses of the Holy. I think the album was made in a certain casual/carefree spirit (while still making sure it sounded good), he got together a group of young 'uns, and just had a good ol time.  

Great post. Sometimes I wonder what Robert’s music would have been like had he not tried to distance himself from his past. Had he fully embraced it from the very beginning of his solo career. He has had some amazing albums. And continues to work.  IMO no one even close to him as a rock/pop vocalist. With all his different approaches, and variations of his voice throughout the years. It’s honestly absolutely amazing. 

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I personally am really glad he distanced himself from Zep when he started out. I think as an artist/entertainer it was the right thing to do and I also think we the fans are richer for it. Principle of Moments is a fantastic 80s soundscape/platform (in the same way that Sinatra's Wee Small Hours is the perfect soundscape for him) for his voice. I've always loved the delivery and vibe on that one. But yeah, it would be interesting to see how his career and sound would have progressed if he didn't distance himself. Maybe he would have partnered with Joe Satriani? 😛

He def is head and shoulders above other pop vocalists with all the different approaches he's taken 💯

I know I mentioned this on another post, but I've always felt like Plant was the natural successor to Elvis, who himself was the natural successor to Sinatra. But of the 3, Plant is the only one who really carved out a hugely diverse career. 

Edited by 1975NQ

4 hours ago, 1975NQ said:

Yeah, I couldn't agree more. I personally am really glad he distanced himself from Zep when he started out. I think as an artist/entertainer it was the right thing to do and I also think we the fans are richer for it. Principle of Moments is a fantastic 80s soundscape/platform (in the same way that Sinatra's Wee Small Hours is the perfect soundscape for him) for his voice. I've always loved the delivery and vibe on that one. But yeah, it would be interesting to see how his career and sound would have progressed if he didn't distance himself. Maybe he would have partnered with Joe Satriani? 😛

He def is head and shoulders above other pop vocalists with all the different approaches he's taken 💯

I know I mentioned this on another post, but I've always felt like Plant was the natural successor to Elvis, who himself was the natural successor to Sinatra. But of the 3, Plant is the only one who really carved out a hugely diverse career. 

Diverse indeed. And I can see the lineage. I go through phases of diving deep into early live Zeppelin, then to their middle and later parts of their career, but lately I’ve been on a real Plant kick. It’s weird getting old and watching our hero’s age and move on. What he has given to his fans is truly remarkable. The guy doesn’t and has not stopped for over 55 years. There are certainly others who have continued to perform and write/record. But as you mentioned very few who have done so, and have been as diverse as Mr. Robert Anthony Plant. 

Have a great week 1975NQ.

15 hours ago, Plant77 said:

Diverse indeed. And I can see the lineage. I go through phases of diving deep into early live Zeppelin, then to their middle and later parts of their career, but lately I’ve been on a real Plant kick. It’s weird getting old and watching our hero’s age and move on. What he has given to his fans is truly remarkable. The guy doesn’t and has not stopped for over 55 years. There are certainly others who have continued to perform and write/record. But as you mentioned very few who have done so, and have been as diverse as Mr. Robert Anthony Plant. 

Have a great week 1975NQ.

Thanks man - you too

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...