Los Angeles, CA-The Forum- May 31, 1973

DavidZoso

This was the first night out of 2 at the Forum for the 1973 US tour. The first night was originally scheduled for May 30th but was postponed till June 3rd because Jimmy sprained his finger on a fence at the airport in San Diego. Listening to the show you would never know he had injured his finger as his playing is just brilliant at this show. This show was and is a very popular bootleg with the title of Bonzo's Birthday Party. It was the 25th Birthday of John Henry 'Bonzo' Bonham and the 20,000 fans sing Happy Birthday to him at the end of Moby Dick.

Some of the photos at the beginning of this was hard to determine exactly what song was being played but I am pretty sure the pics are in the first half of the show-anyone who can pin-point exactly what song is being played, please reply. Thanks.

Video footage from the show:

My link

Setlist:

Rock and Roll

Celebration Day

Black Dog

Over the Hills and Far Away

Misty Mountain Hop

Since I've Been Loving You

No Quarter

The Song Remains the Same

Rain Song

Dazed and Confused (incl. San Francisco)

Stairway to Heaven

Moby Dick

Happy Birthday Bonzo

Heartbreaker

Whole Lotta Love (incl. Let That Boy Boogie)

Encores:

The Ocean

Communication Breakdown

Rock and Roll

2270.jpg

Rock and Roll

2269.jpg

Rock and Roll

730531-01.jpg

1601.jpg

lz19730531_14.jpg

lz19730531_11.jpg

lz19730531_07.jpg

722.jpg

1603.jpg

1602.jpg

lz19730531_08.jpg

1606.jpg

2042.jpg

The Song Remains the Same

1604.jpg

la73-ef2.jpg

The Rain Song

1609.jpg

The Rain Song

1600.jpg

lz19730531_13.jpg

1607.jpg

Dazed and Confused

lz19730531_03.jpg

Dazed and Confused

1608.jpg

Dazed and Confused

lz19730531_04.jpg

lz19730531_02.jpg

la73-ef1.jpg

Stairway to Heaven

lz19730531_12.jpg

Stairway to Heaven

lz19730531_09.jpg

Stairway to Heaven

1778.jpg

Moby Dick

1775.jpg

Happy Birthday to you

lz19730531_06.jpg

Happy Birthday Dear Bonzo...Happy Birthday to you

1599.jpg

Wow, flashback city, David! Wished I would have asked you for pics before I posted about this concert...I could have used some for visual aids.

Wish I could help you more regarding what songs are being played in the early pics, but not being a guitar player, I have no idea what chord he's playing in any given photo. But there are certain poses and positions that did tend to stick in the mind after seeing them multiple times.

Un that respect, there's a few early photos that I am almost certain are Black Dog. From TSRTS on, you seem to have the rest labeled correct, although that pic of Jones playing the bass right after the Rain Song pics doesn't have a label, and I believe that is Dazed & Confused.

Last thing, the very last photo appeared in Creem magazine with a hilarious caption about Jimmy Page helping a dottering grandma Plant off the stage...or something like that.

Hi,

When I was a kid (in 1974)a Dutch music monthly Muziek Expres had this amazing live shot of Zep during the Bonzo Birthday Party show in L.A (I think). I've never seen this spectacular image again of Percy shaking his curls like a man posessed.

This image was also used on an old boot lp cover called White Summer (in B&W though, and of course cropped to a square)

My excuses for the sloppy source material (it's a scan of scan).

If someone knows the whereabouts...I'd love to see this picture again in all it's technicolor glory

:thanku:

post-15105-0-73079600-1312363441_thumb.j

great stuff as usual..........some VERY familiar shots in there..........i never new they were from the birthday show

one in particular i had as a small sized poster for years (possibly a fold out from an old mad)

probably still have it kicking around in the closet somewhere

although that pic of Jones playing the bass right after the Rain Song pics doesn't have a label, and I believe that is Dazed & Confused.

well I put the lone pic of JPJ there in front of the other Dazed and Confused shots but thought just because it was a pic of him by himself I didn't want to label it as Dazed and Confused unless I know for sure- plus I don't think he used the 5-string bass on Dazed and Confused?

• 9 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived