Photography

zepps_apprentice

Shot these at work this evening.

Once a month they host Morale Call for active duty and employees - 3 hours of free finger food, music, dancing and door prizes.

No admission charge, but they have to pay for their own drinks.

Camera:

Canon 5D Mk II

ISO 3200

1/100 sec

with Flash

Decent shot...

IMG_4523.jpg

This is cool because I shot it from across the room with my 70-300 zoom. Papparazi-style close-up!

IMG_4556.jpg

I'm amazed at the clarity with the ISO 3200 rating.

Great shots and the high heels are a really cool detail shot. :)

I agree, but it's not too much of a deal breaker for me.

Sony's lenses are provided by Carl Zeiss mostly. This particular camera comes with a 18-55 zoom lens and I'm probably gonna buy either a macro or fixed focus point lens after buying as well. Thanks for the info though! :D

It does have a mic connection jack :D

Zeiss makes lenses for Hasselbald. You can't go wrong. And a boom mic connection is definitely a must for good movies. :)

I'm amazed at the clarity with the ISO 3200 rating.

Great shots and the high heels are a really cool detail shot. :)

It will go all the way to ISO 12,800.

PLUS it shoots full 1080p HD video.

The audio blows - it's basically no more than a cellphone mic - but we're ordering an external stereo boom mic.

Cool part of that is being able to use all the different lenses - including the Fish Eye.

It will go all the way to ISO 12,800.

PLUS it shoots full 1080p HD video.

The audio blows - it's basically no more than a cellphone mic - but we're ordering an external stereo boom mic.

Cool part of that is being able to use all the different lenses - including the Fish Eye.

Awesome on the ISO. There's so much about digital that I don't know yet.

And yes, take it from me about a good boom mic as I learned from a film we did last year about how important it is to do sound checks. I was assigned to just operate a camera as a total know nothing about making movies and trusting that the 'real' cameramen knew what they were doing as we filmed. Little did I know that I would end up as the editor and eventually finding out that a lot of the clips had buzzing noise, cell phone interference, and mic to mic interference. So now I have to try to clean up all this noise with Sony's Sound Forge. It does help but it can't do miracles. We actually refilmed a scene and I set up my little Sony stereo mic on a home made boom with the camera I was on (it sounds GREAT!!!) :) and the same guy who filmed before used his same old crappy camera and I'll be damned if it didn't have the same mic to mic interference noise even though he had his headphones on while filming. I think he has bad hearing and we are now in the process of doing voice overs for that scene. It's very frustrating trying to correct other people's mistakes but our lady producer is very happy with what I've done so far on the editing and I guess that's all that matters ey? :D

My little Fuji camera doesn't have interchangeable lenses but what it has is pretty amazing and the zoom is equal to a 24mm to 730mm on a regular 35mm camera. I love it. :)

You can do Macro "on the cheap" without a dedicated macro lens, you can buy extension tubes that fit between the lens and the camera or diopters that screw into the front element. It won't generally be as much magnication as a macro lens(which gives 1;1 with object appearing lifesize on the sensor) and you lose the ability to focus to infinity(beyond a certain distance depending on how powerful they are) but the results can still be very useful.

The 50 1.8 is actually a very good lens to use extension tubes on as they reduce the amount of light so a large appature is important plus that lens uses a built in autofocus drive(rather than a screw motor from the camera as say the Ziess or old Minota designs use) so if you pay for good extension tubes that have electronic couplings you can still use autofocus.

One of my macro shots with my Fuji.

My lady's ring. :)

post-503-0-42108100-1314744242_thumb.jpg

Did you take that? Prize Winner, hands down! :)

No, I did not. I found it on this site.

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H50 that I got less than a year out of before it went south on me. Believe it or not, there are no camera shops that will work on it in the entire state of NC. My only option is to ship it to some place in CT to be repaired. My back up camera is a Casio Exilim (see below) that is excellent for taking on fishing trips and for underwater shots. I purchased it prior to making a trip to Costa Rica last summer but it's since come in very handy as a back up until I can have my Sony repaired.

Casio-Exilim-Ex-G1.jpg

No, I did not. I found it on this site.

I have a Sony Cyber-Shot DSC-H50 that I got less than a year out of before it went south on me. Believe it or not, there are no camera shops that will work on it in the entire state of NC. My only option is to ship it to some place in CT to be repaired. My back up camera is a Casio Exilim (see below) that is excellent for taking on fishing trips and for underwater shots. I purchased it prior to making a trip to Costa Rica last summer but it's since come in very handy as a back up until I can have my Sony repaired.

Casio-Exilim-Ex-G1.jpg

It might be cheaper just to buy another camera. The Casio looks cool. They make some good stuff. :)

It might be cheaper just to buy another camera.

Unfortunately, you're probably correct. I definitely don't want to send it back to Sony, they want an arm and a leg to repair it. At least Precision Camera in CT is somewhat reasonable. I think it's just a matter of repairing the contacts but I'm not fooling around with such an expensive piece of equipment in an attempt to fix it myself.

Edited by Jahfin

Unfortunately, you're probably correct. I definitely don't want to send it back to Sony, they want an arm and a leg to repair it. At least Precision Camera in CT is somewhat reasonable. I think it's just a matter of repairing the contacts but I'm not fooling around with such an expensive piece of equipment in an attempt to fix it myself.

Can I ask what the camera cost you? This one I recently got was only $200 at COSTCO, the Fuji Finepix S4000 and it is really amazing for the price.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_s4000/

Can I ask what the camera cost you? This one I recently got was only $200 at COSTCO, the Fuji Finepix S4000 and it is really amazing for the price.

http://www.fujifilmusa.com/products/digital_cameras/s/finepix_s4000/

The Sony Cyber-Shot was a gift but it cost around $400 in 2008.

Wow.

Thanks for killing the past 30 minutes for me.

Wanna introduce me to heroin next?

(awesome site)

In the past few days, I have been accused of posting two Photoshopped images from that site. To my knowledge, neither of them are Photoshopped.

The first:

enhanced-buzz-9683-1314574378-14.jpg

Route 12 on Hatteras Island, NC

Proof that it's not Photoshopped.

The second:

t1jXy.jpg

Squall line on the coast of Pensacola, FL

I can't prove that it's not Photoshopped but I did find another photograph that was taken on the same day (August 9th, 2011) at the same location (Bands on the Beach [which was cancelled]) in Pensacola, FL:

184169_10150752475040705_217138275704_19954532_7326181_n.jpg

These days it's really hard to tell what's been Photoshopped and what hasn't but I won't knowingly post a photo I know has been altered and try to say it hasn't. With the ability to so easily manipulate photographs these days a lot of people are skeptical and for good reason.

Edited by Jahfin

Love it! Wish I was there. :)

Cheers! It's a little group of islands called The Isles of Scilly. I used to go there when I was a kid, went again in June this year for the first time since 1986. :)

That photo was taken from the apartment where we were staying. I'd thrown some left over food onto the beach for the birds - that's why the seagull is looking in!

Here are a couple more. I leaned out of the window for these.

IslesofScillyJune2011003.jpg

IslesofScillyJune2011030.jpg

Pics I took during a recent trip to Europe. I used a Canon 5D Mark II and a Canon 24 - 105 mm L set of lens.

1. Paris, the Louvre

IMG_0621-1-1.jpg

2.Spiral Staircase, The Vatican Museum

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Some good pics here, I'm glad to know other Zep fans enjoy photography too.

:)

^ Beautiful, greenman. Water almost never turns out the way I intend it to in photos.

Pics I took during a recent trip to Europe. I used a Canon 5D Mark II and a Canon 24 - 105 mm L set of lens.

1. Paris, the Louvre

IMG_0621-1-1.jpg

2.Spiral Staircase, The Vatican Museum

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Some good pics here, I'm glad to know other Zep fans enjoy photography too.

:)

And these are gorgeous, brspled. I can't stop staring at that staircase. Quite a trip!

^ Beautiful, greenman. Water almost never turns out the way I intend it to in photos.

Shutter speed is a big factor, generally you either want it very fast(like that pic at 1/1000 of a sec) to freeze time or very slow using a tripod to blur the water alot and get a sense of movement like the pic below at 1/4 of a sec.

scotland256small.jpg

Edited by greenman

Thank you Patrycja :)

As Greenman says a tripod is very useful when you want to blur water. I would also recomend a ND filter. This pic was taken with a Canon G10, a small tripod and the ND filter function of the camera (actually it IS a ND filter, but it is built inside the camera)

IMG_6625-c-1.jpg

Some compact cameras as the Canon G series are really good. They are no DSRL, of course, but you can have some very good results using the manual settings of these cameras.

Nice pics Greenman!